The story of my first AG Brew (Full disclosure - honest truth)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idzy

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

This will probably serve more as comedy than anything else. It is fair to say it was a rocky road for the first AG brew. Probably due to nearly zero experience with brewing and brewing on a (new to me) second hand system that I picked up from the Buy and Sell section.

The recipe
Okay so here we go. The recipe is a Stone and Wood Pacific Ale, with a slight modification in the recipe. The reason for the modification (read complication) was that I purchased the batch of ingredients and then realised I have a double batch system. On the second round, I purchased different ingredients to first recipe, as I believe the second recipe was going to be closer to the clone. The recipe I used can be found at this post.

I made two modifications.

Mod 1
The first was that I had purchased the following already for the first recipe:
3.5 kg BB Ale Malt
0.8 kg BB Wheat Malt
0.2 kg Flaked Wheat
0.1 kg Weyermann Munich I

Because I had this grain, the double batch values were calculated and the 0.2kg Flaked Wheat and 0.1kg Weyermann Munich I were used to give a 60/40 ratio with the two main malts.

Mod 2
The hops at the LHBS are quite expensive and come in bags of 50g. I needed 5 for this recipe for the 215g or whatever was required. I modified the additions down to 200g.

The system
I had slightly tested the system, checking the bubblers were reading the water levels and temp probes were working. Everything seemed to be working well. The system that I purchased has temperature controls for elements, etc. Pump worked fine. I thought the only variable is ME and my experience! I don't have any mates or anyone that I know that does brewing. I only know what I have learnt from the resources on this forum. Thank you!

Brew day
I turned it all on on brew day and started to heat the HLT water and HEX(HERMS) water. I hadn't plumbed in the auto-fill solinoid, so I was just filling it with a mixing bowl from the tap. I have set the system up at my parents house, as I live in a townhouse and they have a massive house right near me and we built a outdoor kitchen area near the pool some time ago that wasn't being used. My new little brewery.

So I started filling up the HLT and HEX and turned the elements on. I see the temperatures are rising on both units. I notice that after about 10 litres of water in the HLT, the bubbler volume is fluctuating around 2.2-2.6 litres. I keep filling and it continues to heat.

I now have suspicions that I have either not connected the bubbler nylon hose correctly, or there may be some calibration issue, but really it's kind of too late. But then I realise, how the hell am I going to get my final volume if the bubbler isn't working. So I grabbed the fermenter that I had cleaned and filled it up to 20 litres and put it in the kettle. Thank goodness, the kettle bubbler was reading the water levels perfectly. Still not perfect, but it will do. I am committed. I am going to brew today!

I monitor the temps and notice that the HEX is not displaying the correct temp. I think damnit! The other one was working fine, but I didn't have a hand held temp gauge so couldn't check it fully, so I start thinking through the possibilities.

I decide that once the grain goes into the MLT, then I can take the probe from the HLT and swap it with the one in the HEX. Then I can watch the temp on the HEX using the HLT read out, even though the element won't be turning on and off according to the target temp. I will just do this manually.

I connect the HLT with the March Pump and with the MLT and prime the pump. No worries. I pour the grain in to do "under let the grain" I believe they call it and start pumping the sparge water in. The grain slowly moistens and then I see water coming up! Yay! The smell! I am making beer!

Once the water height is slightly higher than the grain, I stop the pump and mix it all up ("the mash in"?). Check to make sure there are no dough balls and then I am good to go. I think to myself do I need to steep the grain or not? Do I run it through the HERMS straight away? I can't remember.

I decide to connect the HERMS with the March pump and top and bottom valves of MLT. Start pumping. Nothing...eeek. I realise somehow in my excitement, I have connected the pump hoses the wrong way. I start to disconnect the quick release valves and start to get really hot sticky hands as slightly worty water is going all over the ground. Arrrgghhh! Then I think, wow this is going to be messy. Hopefully the deck will be able to hack all the sugary water (hmmm...ants, no idea!)...

I continue on and get it connected correctly. I start pumping and it is working, yay! Then I realise that in the heat of the moment, the HEX has not been getting switched on and off to keep it at 66c which I where I needed it to be and it starts cycling water at 73c or something. I panick and pull the lid off the top of the HEX pot and start tipping water onto the HEX to get it to cool down! In the heat of the moment (pardon the pun), water is slashing everywhere. I have been mildly burnt on the hands multiple times changing hot hoses and now dousing a hot pot!

I get the temperature down and its all pumping through and I think yes! We are good. I am through the rough stuff! 66c wort temp, no stopping me now!

It seems kinda okay, but couldn't for the life of me work out if I needed to steep the grain for 30 minutes then do a 60 minute countdown, or what. I decided to just do the 60 minutes and had a feeling steeping was either for un-malted grain or BIABers. Still not sure, but I will be doing some reading before the next batch :)

I read the recipe and see that I need my first hop addition of 10g (modified). I think, oh no! I don't have scales! I go and check inside the Olds' house and give Mum a call. "Nah, I don't really use them anymore. I don't think I have any." Arrgghhh, it's definitely my first day, how could I forget scales?!

I grab a tupperware container and pour the first 50g bag into the container. I shake it out a bit so the pellets are across the bottom evenly and then split the 50g into 2 25g parts, then I split that into roughly 10g and throw it in. I think to myself, ahh well, it's my first one, if it is off by a few grams either side who cares... Let's just hope I haven't caramelised the wort pumping it too hot or some other thing.

I then realise I didn't set the timer or check the time. I decide it has probably been around 10 minutes with all the mucking around, but maybe only 5.

I set the timer for 50 minutes and it starts counting down. I think okay, I have 40 minutes before my next step. Mash Out. I continue to watch it for a while and then turn my phone on and madly try to navigate to AHB and look for AG guides to check what I have been doing from memory matches with what it says...reading and counting down. I check the temps and turn on and off based on what I need the HEX to be at.

As I get to the 20 minutes left mark. I start thinking about the fact that the sparge water needs to be at 76c and so does the wort, so I start increasing their temperatures. I realise within about 2 minutes, that I have left it too late, or so I think.

I get down to 10 minutes to go and the wort is at 74c and the sparge water has crept slowly up to 70c. I think man, this is going to be close. I get there on time and start the sparge into the kettle. No problems, but geez there doesn't seem to be much wort in the kettle. I am going to need a lot of water to make up my volume. Then I start thinking, I am not going to have enough water in the HLT to make my brew volume either and it needs to be at 78c!

So I put enough water into the MLT to cover the grain bed again. I had noticed that the guide said to aggitate the grain in between sparges. So I give that a go and think, well I may as well clear it up through the HERMS. I do that for a bit and then empty into the kettle again. While all of this is going on, I have topped up the HLT with heaps more water and am nervously watching the temp gauge.

I wait until it is at 73c and then fill the grain bed and rinse and repeat until I have my wort volume in the kettle, which I decided based on 2 batches of 23l that I would need 50litres, based on nothing really other than a feeling.

After this, I turned the elements on and thought to myself, I should have turned them on 20 minutes ago. Anyways, 202nd lesson learned for the day. The boil will take a little while and then I need to do hop additions. I need to do a hot break for 15 mins after the boil starts.

I take a hydrometer reading and it is reading 1.005 and I think WTF!@ as I am reading it, the plastic tube is nearly melting so I quickly run it under a tap of cold water. I think to myself, I have completely stuffed it! OMG what have I done?! My heart sinks and I become so deflated and disappointed. Obviously my efficiency was completely stuffed, wow this whole AG game really is such a massive step up. I think to myself, surely I can't be the first person to do this?!

The next mobile search begins. I find threads on efficiency and low OG and pre/post boil SG, etc, etc. I decide I need to boil down and keep checking and get it concentrated to a point that is going to actually mean my beer will be alcoholic, LOL!

I leave it for about 15 minutes and the hot break occurs. I start the timer for 60 minutes and add the first hops. I take another hydrometer reading and decide to cool it off first under the tap and it is reading 1.040, huh?! I decide that the first must have been an issue and decide I am getting pretty close and need to wrap things up.

I get the boil finished, have a sigh of relief and fill the fermenter. Let it splash as it hits and get lots of oxygen.

Clean everything and take the full fermenter to my house. I have 39l of brew. I am assuming partly due to efficiency and partly due to over compensating due to the first reading.

I get home and realise I need a whole in the top of the fermenter lid of the 60 litre fermenter to fit the ceramic heater from my 30 litre fermenter. I call my brother, he is on his way home. Drive over to his house and get him to temp drill out a 32mm hole, as I didn't have a hole saw that size and neither did he.

I get back and sanitise and get the heater started. I have read a bunch of stuff on starter on howtobrew, so I decide that I will do a starter, but I don't have a thermometer, it is in the post. I don't have one on the fermenter either, only a sticker version on the small 30 litre fermenter.

I decide that the thermometer was pretty accurate at keeping fermentation temp last brew, so it should be fine. It is dialed in at 19c. I decide that I will get the yeast temp I need by adding room temp water with boiling water into a Pyrex glass.

I do that so that it will be approx 30c and then I add a tsp of icing sugar and stir to dissolve. Then I go back to the computer and read the howtobrew yeast starter page and realise his summarised points at the top of the page are further explained in more detail further down. I realise I have missed the "let the yeast re-hydrate for 15 mins, then add sugar" and I think, AAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!

I cover with glad wrap anyways and hope it will work. I start seeing it churning and think, this should be fine, it is 1am, I am throwing it in.

I go out to the garage and put the yeast in. I cover back up with blankets and go back inside.

Next day the airlock is no going, no krausen and I think, hmmm. I buggered it up. I read again and see that most likely it is due to the cold of the garage and the lack of ability from my 30 litre heater doing a 40 litre batch.

I move the fermenter inside that next night. The next morning 36 hours after placing in fermenter, it is bubbling. Yay, I am so happy. I will have beer!

I am going home from work now. I will proof read later and make edits. The purpose of this post is partly for critique, partly for the "you're a bloody idiot getting into AG so quick" and partly I am hoping there will be a few, "oh yeah, never admitted it, but I have made a few of those screw ups too"

Cheers,
Idzy

We've all done similar............................................... but few will reply and admit it. Freaking steep learning curve if you don't have an experienced mentor.

Keep at it, one day you'll have that "this beer is great" moment!

Cheers,

Screwy

Seriously, straight on to 3V! That's a steep freakin' hill mate. Hell, I screwed up BIAB :D . If you haven't screwed up yet you haven't been brewing for long.

it gets easier for sure.. every system thats new to a brewer will need the kinks ironed out so dont feel alone ;)

epic post man, nice share.. :beer:

:lol:
Good read, it had me at the edge of my seat the whole way through. I only BIAB, if I ever do make the jump to 3v I'll be sure to hit you up so I don't make the same mistakes.

Never had such a comedy of errors, however I BIAB so it's a bit simpler.

Have done several brews where I've had to "freestyle" the hops because the scales were busted. I bought some cheap gram scales on eBay which have helped with this.

Also forgot to measure water, gravity, etc on a few brews.

Forgot to start, stop, check the timer plenty of times.

The best thing is every time I have made beer. And if your sanitation is good you will have made beer too!

Good luck may this be your first brew of many!

I think you've mentioned just about every single mistake that could be made. But at least you did them all on your first brew which means from now on you should have no problems.

You should seriously consider typing out a run sheet of exactly what steps you need to do. Do another run with water and type or wrote them out as you go step by step so you don't miss anything.
Then use this on your next brew day to follow through so you dont miss anything.
Also what temperature are you fermenting at? You shouldn't need a heater this time of year. If anything you should have your fermenter in a fridge with a temp controller set at around 18-20C.

Edit: BTW my first AG brew was the stone and wood pacific ale clone and it's still up there with one of the best beers I've ever brewed.

I'm pretty slapdash with most measurements TBH. There are so many other factors involved and I'm not looking for any level of repeatability at this point so maybe use a bit more/less malt or hops and estimate water levels using reference points on my boiler.
I've made some pretty good beer IMO but I've still got a way to go (hopefully) before I peak.
Lengths of boil etc are just times that make it easy for us to remember but have no validity chemically so don't get too hung up on it.
You have just as much chance of improving your brew as making it worse.

Vive la variance ;)

I know where you can get a mad clock so you wont forget to keep time...

Mate, that's just BRILLIANT!

I admire your guts to go all-in & try.

Learn from the experience & have fun with the rest of your brewing.

Sooo many people won't even give AG a try, 'cos they're scared of screwing up, but this should serve as a great example of "What the ****!".

Screwtop said:
We've all done similar...............................................
Screwy
Bollocks. I've never screwed up.

Except maybe one time. There was another time too but I prefer not to....oh and um...................

Yep. Done fucked up loads, think I've probably made most of it known here. Infections, taps open, wort on the ground, cracked grain on the ground, elements blowing up, stuck sparges, alarms failing to go off, you name it.

I went straight from non-brewing to AG too, and my first was definitely a day to remember.

All went okay up until lautering when I realised nothing would drain from the tun. Tried everything to get it it going but to no avail. Eventually I got a bucket and scooped out the whole mash (for a 43L batch) to find that the crappy SS braid I had used had been completely crushed by the grain. I took it off and switched it with the small bazooka screen from the kettle, refilled the mash tun, then went to lauter to the kettle and realised I would need to replace the bazooka screen before filling. So again drained it all into a tub, switched the screen back to the kettle, and tipped everything in.

About an hour and a half later, I discovered that a small bazooka screen doesn't function well against 130g of hop flowers. Had to stand there with a long spoon continuously scraping the screen clear while the wort slowly trickled through the plate chiller and I filled the backyard with a small swimming pool's worth of cooling water.

There were a couple of other mistakes that day too, if I remember. Ended up being a very messy, stressful 8+ hour brew day. It was all worth it when I pulled a pint of my first home-made beer three weeks later and it tasted freakin' delicious.

Hell of a day!!!! but you got there...

3 years plus of AG brewing and i still have days like this. I keep telling myself "I'm having fun, I'm having fun, I'm having fun".Somedays i should just go and play golf instead.
Cheers
LB

Here's a link to my first experience :)

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/52715-first-biab/

Like you, I think I got most of my mistakes out of the road on my first attempt.
It was also one of my very best beers ever.

Yeah I was flying a bit blind on my first all grain batch and the garage resembled a war zone after completion , must have taken the best part of 10 hours from struggling with water chemistry to mash temps ,boil overs and underestimating how much evaporation can occur in 1 hour to the wort finally into a fermentor . Best way to learn is to get hands on and learn from those mistakes.

I think one (well 2) of your major issues was, no photo's and no drinking :)

N.B Hops look at Yob, Grain get a mill and buy bags

I remember my first AG brewday

I think my kids learnt some new words :ph34r:

Thanks for all the comments guys. Really appreciate the words of wisdom and especially thanks to the PMs regarding tips on brewing/buying :) I actually noticed I missed a few things up there, but I might just leave as is. For example, running home to get a 30 metre hose to plumb in the counterflow cooler during the 20 min hop addition and the 5 min hop addition didn't cop a mention :) LOL!

I was looking into the whole bulk buy / grain mill idea, but was thinking I have already invested a lot and maybe I need to work out which brews I like to make before deciding which grain to buy. 25kg seems like a lot of grain! :) I have done plenty of research and am on the waiting list for a Mashmaster.

Does anyone live near me and mind if I use their Mill? There is a bulk buy going in Melb atm dead line 1 December.

Back