2013 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
surly said:
Based on this, I am assuming that galaxy is closely guarded and not avail to the public?
Sounds like that close relative of hops grown down in Tas, though that is probably much easier to get your hands on.
This seems to be the case surly, looking forward to when it finds it's way into homegrower's hands though.

daveHQ said:
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1394957931.291049.jpg

This is my entire hop harvest! 9g of chinook and 153g of cascade, pretty disappointing, the string of 40+deg days really knocked them about, hopefully next year is better

I threw the whole lot in as a late addition (10 min) into a bright ale (b saaz was used for bittering)
My Goldings and Chinook did sweet FA this year, Dave. Looking forward to picking the cascade though. While it doesn't look to yield too many cones, the ones I've tested seemed to be full of gold.
20140316_120440.jpg

Good job, Cascade ! 1025g wet weight.

2nd year plant, but only allowed to grow to 2.5m, so not too bad.

Fuggles and Goldings however, 1st and 2nd years plants, only a few cones between them...boo !

20140318_202216.jpg

Hi all,
Well i harvested my hops last night and got a pretty good batch for the first year, my question is can anyone identify these for me?
I bought them from bunnings and they had no identifyer on them to say what flavor they might be.
BBCCB2CB-7C1F-4E0B-B715-B732628FF566_zpsiwvrd79l.jpg
125EB7E4-DFC5-4ABD-A44C-2412C83F6327_zpsktngmb7h.jpg
7AAD56FD-7307-468D-A915-9D5301371EF5_zps1os1rwsu.jpg
8B22B6D3-A940-4CE1-AB9D-C067023A3F1F_zpsbfgwzvoc.jpg

If you bought them at bunnings and they were marked 'beer herbs' they are American cascade

Cheers

Anywhere between 4.5% and 7%, in reality none of us growing hops know. Use 'em late and/or in conjunction with hops you do know the AA% for if an IBU number is important to you...

To be honest, the actual AA% on any hops we buy changes significantly depending on the age of hops and how they're handled, so we're all really just estimating in the end.

First year chinook: I picked 600g (wet) yday, and that's about 2/3rds of what was there - I ran out of drying space! So I may get ~1kg in total. That'll sadly dry down to ~250g, I guess.
Absolutely. Totally. Stoked.
I didn't think I'd get any flowers in the first year! Must been a particularly rhizome from the good Dr :lol:
So big thanks to DrSmurto!
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1395617281.028218.jpg

Finally finished harvesting hops up here in the Alps today.
1.1kg wet Victoria.
.85kg wet Chinook
1.3kg Cascade.
All first year plants, look out next year.

Wow, they sound like ripping harvests for first year plants. You guys do anything particularly special to get such an output this year?? Would love to hear how you planted (ground v pot), in what soil, what kind of feeding regime you had etc. Just out of interest given a few of us managed only a couple of hundred grams or less.

IMG_0820 (960x1280).jpg
Victoria, first harvest

Cascade was in the vege patch, grown 30kms up the valley from Rostrevor hops farm.
Victoria and Chinook were grown in mini wheely bins at 1550mtrs above see level.
The altitude may have helped the later plants to survive the heatwave that summer was. The cascade had some westery shading and daily deep watering.
All were grown in a mix of 2:1 potting mix to manure with some sand for drainage.
Seeweed fertilizer every week or two, changing up between powerfeed and seasol.
Lots of deep watering..

I got sweet FA from my Goldings and Chinook. My cascade yielded 1028gms which dried out to 340. Smells nice too.

Camo6 said:
I got sweet FA from my Goldings and Chinook. My cascade yielded 1028gms which dried out to 340. Smells nice too.
Oh yeah...that'd be right...3g more than my Cascade harvest !

Sure there wasn't a few stray stalks or leaves included in that weight, Cam ? A few grams worth ? 4grams maybe ?

Mine was all cones...all killer, no filler...just sayin'...

Haha! I did spray it with about 4gms of flyspray to increase its potency. The hardest bit was wrapping each gram in foil.

What was your final weight dry Dan? I left them in the shed for 3-4 days but yesterday was a bit of a warm one.

My chinook and cascade have grown too close together and have intertwined. That's my first problem. My second problem is that my mum picked them for me, because they're growing at her place 300km up the coast, and she didn't even try to separate them. So now I have approx 1 kg (wet) mixed hops, drying out.

What should I do with them, Besides make grapefruit IPA's?

Camo6 said:
Haha! I did spray it with about 4gms of flyspray to increase its potency. The hardest bit was wrapping each gram in foil.
What was your final weight dry Dan? I left them in the shed for 3-4 days but yesterday was a bit of a warm one.
Don't know exactly, mate. I dried them for about 5 days on a plastic sheet and last Sat threw them all, in thirds, into a pale/IPA (10min,5min and flame out). Plus, left on the sheet was around a teaspoon of pure lupulin, so that magical powder went into the cube.

Should be good, I'll save you a bottle.

20140105_151815.jpg20140105_151844.jpg

Bit late to the party on this post but.... everyone like pictures!

Pulled around 450 500g wet (100g dry) off my first year Cluster this year (early Feb)... not bad for the subtropics...

OB

Cones and red bine pics 25 March 2014 003.jpg

Just thought I would put up an end of season photo of some Cascade cones. I finished harvesting several weeks ago.

If anyone is interested, I have some POR rhizome to give away. I am pulling it up tomorrow, (Saturday) and it could possibly be picked up as early as Sunday morning. There should be enough for 2 people. I need to lift it because its in the way where I am planting some garlic. I can include some Golding also if required. I won't be mailing it. Pick up Western suburbs in Adelaide.

Send me a PM if you want it.

Cheers.

Hey guys, need a bit of help here.

I picked my first harvest of cascade & chinook hops just when they started going brown, then I let them air dry in an mesh bag over the space of about 6 weeks. 65g in dry weight.

Now look at them. The brown ones dont have any aroma whatsoever, but the green ones do. Yet they both taste like hops.

Are they ruined or still good for something?

photo 1.JPG

Why did you dry them 6 weeks? You should have been able to get them dried in a couple of days, that's all I did with mine. What made you leave them 6 weeks?

I'd guess they're pretty stuffed now I'm afraid.

Lambic hops!

On another note all my hops are going yellow, getting ready for a long sleep. Save one. The Canterbury Goldings has decided it's time to go for broke, having been cut back a fair bit. "Cor blimey guv, English Summer!"

Latest posts

Back