2013 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
carniebrew said:
Why did you dry them 6 weeks? You should have been able to get them dried in a couple of days, that's all I did with mine. What made you leave them 6 weeks?

I'd guess they're pretty stuffed now I'm afraid.
Because they grew at my mums place 300km away and I let her harvest it, without giving her any instructions whatsoever.

Phoney said:
Because they grew at my mums place 300km away and I let her harvest it, without giving her any instructions whatsoever.
I was trying to think of something funny to write about your mother harvesting your hops for you, however I think the best thing for me to do is offer you a hug. You OK dude? there is always next year.

Had a good look through this thread, some get more than others etc and it doesn't seem to be a location issue. Anyone here horticultrily trained? Giving them perfect root zone conditions with the elements doing their thing? My primary is horticulture but it really doesn't help here as I have never grown them. This year once they arrive I reckon I could contribute atleast something to the forum as my area of study has been plants for 2 decades. I cook to pay the bills. There is not a lot of information on growing hops in nsw. We are obviously too far north of perfect but I can't see how it can't be done.

I got a huge bag of Chinook this year and then we got a lot of rain and wind. The trellis (Bunnings 6m long treated pine) was blown over and snapped in half, leaving the remaining hops to hang in the mud. The cones never seemed to mature properly in all that rain anyway. lucky I got the Chinook. (I may be able add a pic later).

Note to self: Buy stronger trellis material (previously posted bamboo broke in half too, but admittedly was old bamboo).

Les

Bit late but this was near harvest this year, first year plants going well on the farm :) ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1404715311.016609.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1404715228.261822.jpg

Back