2016 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the net.
Curl grub, otherwise known as cockchafer, scarab beetle larvae, or white curl grub, is the juvenile or larval form of Black Beetle, Christmas Beetle (as referred to in Australia for obvious reasons) or any of the
Scarab Beetles. Curl Grub is a serious threat to any plant including your lawn as it feeds voraciously on the roots of the turf grass.

Wish I could get rid of these cockchafers....

From the net.
Curl grub, otherwise known as cockchafer, scarab beetle larvae, or white curl grub, is the juvenile or larval form of Black Beetle, Christmas Beetle (as referred to in Australia for obvious reasons) or any of the
Scarab Beetles. Curl Grub is a serious threat to any plant including your lawn as it feeds voraciously on the roots of the turf grass.

Wish I could get rid of these cockchafers....

Right so there's some stuff at Bunnings called Eco-neem which is an organic tree extract which will kill my cockchafers and not harm the worms. Beaut!

How often are you all watering your hops now that they're done for the seaon? Once a week?

Hpal said:
Can anyone shed some light on these little bastards which are all through my hop garden? I think they are lawn beetles or something and they seem to congregate around the roots of the plants. Not sure whether to put something on them to kill them or leave them be. And if I pour something in the soil to kill them will it kill my worms as well? Thanks.
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1461123959.284932.jpg
Pretty sure they are cockschafer grubs mate.
http://agriculture.vic.gov.au/agriculture/pests-diseases-and-weeds/pest-insects-and-mites/the-blackheaded-pasture-cockchafer

That's right Cockchafer. Let the fun begin[emoji106]

Whoops. Just realised I missed a page.
Yob beat me to it. Yep. Nuthin worse that a bad case of the old cock chafe

That's why I referred to them as Japanese Beetle the Cock chaffer is the same thing, a girl who used to hang around with us during our teenage years went by the nick name of Cock chaffer funnily enough her best mate we nicknamed Rotten Box.

wide eyed and legless said:
That's why I referred to them as Japanese Beetle the Cock chaffer is the same thing, a girl who used to hang around with us during our teenage years went by the nick name of Cock chaffer funnily enough her best mate we nicknamed Rotten Box.
still got their numbers?

Matplat said:
How often are you all watering your hops now that they're done for the seaon? Once a week?
Never, or rarely if they are in the ground. Other than rain. If you don't get rain then throw on the beer rinses.
Soil should be just moist but not extremely dry or extremely wet.

I cut my Hallertau bines off at the ground not long after the last harvest just to get the things to die off, and now I've noticed there are new shoots starting to come up again from the soil. What's the best way to deal with these? Let them grow a little longer and snip them too?

They should theoretically but I'm not even sure we're gonna get a winter this year, it's certainly taking its time about cooling down. I'll leave them for a bit and see what happens though.

:lol: Well on a personal level I'm not complaining about it because although our winters are pretty mild compared to a lot of other places, they're still too cold for my liking, so it can take as long as it likes to get here. But for the hops I'm interested to see how they react to the warmer winter temps.

Back