2016 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yob

Hop to it
Reaction score
With People starting to get some nodes through, its probably time for a new season thread..

Show us your Hops :beerbang:

Potting up the rest of the rhizomes today. They'll get planted next month once the infrastructure is in place.

rhizomes.jpg

hopfield.jpg

Does anyone grow hops and own dogs? How can you keep them away?

Lowlyf said:
Does anyone grow hops and own dogs? How can you keep them away?
My dogs have never shown interest in the hops. A simple chicken wire fence with star pickets should keep them out if you are concerned.

Yeah, my dog wouldn't look twice at a hop flower on the bine. A few have had trouble with rhizomes being dug up but this is probably more due to soft 'diggable' soil. Just be sure to dump any sweet spent hops from the kettle where they can't get them.

That looks awesome Belgrave Brewer, how many varieties are you growing?

Camo6 said:
Yeah, my dog wouldn't look twice at a hop flower on the bine. A few have had trouble with rhizomes being dug up but this is probably more due to soft 'diggable' soil. Just be sure to dump any sweet spent hops from the kettle where they can't get them.

That looks awesome Belgrave Brewer, how many varieties are you growing?
The core is Chinook, Cascade and Victoria along with the contentious Dwarf Cluster. I also have small amounts of Super Alpha, Nugget, Columbus, Cluster, S. Hellertau, Mt. Hood, Hersbrucker, and UK Gold, but not sure if I'll use them. It's a big project with 5 35 meter rows at 5 meters tall, and 3 25 meter rows at 4 meters tall.

Singleton NSW. I think it might be early because it was so close to the surface after I got a cutting for a mate.

Seeing as none of you have anything interesting happening at the moment.....

I'm having a go at growing mushrooms in the hop garden at the moment. I pulled up a huge pile of weeds from in and around the hop garden. The pile measures about 2 metres across by 1 metre high. I chopped up about 100 grams of White Oyster mushroom into tiny pieces and sprinkled it through the pile as I built it up. I also put in some sheets of newspaper and sprayed some fertilizer and humate through the pile.

Hopefully I get a feed at the end of it. :D Then I will distribute the lovely compost around my hops etc. :)

Belgrave Brewer said:
Potting up the rest of the rhizomes today. They'll get planted next month once the infrastructure is in place.
Looks like Yob has a new supplier. ;)

hoppy2B said:
Seeing as none of you have anything interesting happening at the moment.....

I'm having a go at growing mushrooms in the hop garden at the moment. I pulled up a huge pile of weeds from in and around the hop garden. The pile measures about 2 metres across by 1 metre high. I chopped up about 100 grams of White Oyster mushroom into tiny pieces and sprinkled it through the pile as I built it up. I also put in some sheets of newspaper and sprayed some fertilizer and humate through the pile.

Hopefully I get a feed at the end of it. :D Then I will distribute the lovely compost around my hops etc. :)
Try thoroughly rinsing and then pasteurising some spent grain and innoculating that before adding it to your compost pile, add into that a large amount of matured horse manure and pea straw that is also pasteurised.

If you have an old esky it's a pretty straight forward process and oysters are super easy to grow.

Adding previously harvested substrate to the compost seems to always make a few pop up from time to time, I haven't been actively engaged in mycology of late but made a great shiitake chicken and veg soup last week that has me keen to innoculate again... Good luck with it.

Well, not very interesting, but noticed a few bines peeking through from my relocated Cascade and Chinook. Actually, I lie. These are my Ultra Dwarf Cluster from last season nearly ready to flower...

20150729_155736.jpg20150729_155757.jpg

4 dogs never been interested in em

Latest posts

Back