2015 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
both my chinook and cascade hops are all but dead. My dog has gotten through double fencing and pulled them out (not eat them) three times now. I think the chinook is basically dead. The cascade was probably close to a foot tall and now has a new shoot sprouting up... missed way too much growing time however...

bloody border collies!

leighaus said:
both my chinook and cascade hops are all but dead. My dog has gotten through double fencing and pulled them out (not eat them) three times now. I think the chinook is basically dead. The cascade was probably close to a foot tall and now has a new shoot sprouting up... missed way too much growing time however...

bloody border collies!
A spade, a pile of dirt and a bit of elbow grease might sort out the issues (re potting AND the dog).

My border collie doesn't even look at my hops. Come to think of it she didn't look at sheep either. Which is kinda why she's a townie now. Beautiful temperament this breed, great with kids.

My bad the hop in my earlier pic is challenger. I have trimmed all the lower stuff off and given a dose of 5n1 organic plant food. Fingers crossed.

1416216151492.jpg

1416216172879.jpg

Does anyone have a preferred number of bines per runner?
The reason being I have many more bines looking for a home and I've already got three bines per runner twisting their way up. I'm thinking of cutting the late starters back and letting the strongest survive, hopefully so the plants direct more energy into cone production than leaf and bine.
Like Darwinism.

I've been cutting my excess off and then potting the off cut, I figure if they survive I'll pass them out to mates.
I had 1 of 1 survive last year, I think this year it's 1 of 4 so far.

Dave70 said:
Does anyone have a preferred number of bines per runner?
The reason being I have many more bines looking for a home and I've already got three bines per runner twisting their way up. I'm thinking of cutting the late starters back and letting the strongest survive, hopefully so the plants direct more energy into cone production than leaf and bine.
Like Darwinism.
You can have 2 to 6 bines per plant, is this the first year for them?

wide eyed and legless said:
You can have 2 to 6 bines per plant, is this the first year for them?
Second.
Last year was a bit of a disaster due to a string of blistering hot days.

With regards to heat, what sort of temperature is killing them off?
We had the hottest spring weather on record last weekend, 41C. All I did was water them, and they don't seem to have been affected.

Finally getting some decent growth on my cascade.
After a complete chop of all bines a few weeks ago due to downy mildew.
This is one pot, the other is growing a tad slower.
Looking healthy now anyway.
It's all up from here ! ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1416478245.506824.jpg
I am also aware these are small pots for the plant, they will be in the ground next year once the new house is completed.
Ed. spell check

CF

seehuusen said:
With regards to heat, what sort of temperature is killing them off?
We had the hottest spring weather on record last weekend, 41C. All I did was water them, and they don't seem to have been affected.
If you can keep the water up to them, they'll be fine, the bigger the amount of foliage the more water they will need

With the string of hot days last year the only hop of mine to suffer was the one against the house copping all the reflected heat. Didn't kill it but seemed to burn all the laterals while they were young. I got bugger all off it last season but the previous summers it was my best producer.

I heard on a gardening program that the reflective heat from walls/ fences etc can be lessened by hanging shade cloth between the wall and plant.not only does it act as a heat barrier it also allows ventilation so the plant doesn't cop too much of a knock.

Ha! Spog, I had the exact same plan but SWMBO already hates the fact the bines block half the kitchen window in Summer.
Did they say whether to use dark or light cloth?

spog said:
I heard on a gardening program that the reflective heat from walls/ fences etc can be lessened by hanging shade cloth between the wall and plant.not only does it act as a heat barrier it also allows ventilation so the plant doesn't cop too much of a knock.
I got the same as Cam last year with mu POR and Tett, what I plan to do is run 2 vertical bits of timber up the wall of the shed and then nail some lattice to it, effectively creating a barrier.. wil look half decent too.. I also rigged an out rigger at the top so the bines are away from the wall

like zis

POR.jpg

Loving some of the summer shade mine are giving me. Hope they pull throught the Sydney heat too. A good morning soak should do...

And evening...

If you wrap those pots in Hessian and wet them on a hot day, it'll also help to keep the pots cooler, especially as they ate on concrete.

Sixdemonbag said:
Loving some of the summer shade mine are giving me. Hope they pull throught the Sydney heat too. A good morning soak should do...

Most impressive I didnt realize they could still do so well in pots given the space/sunlight/water they require

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back