2015 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_20141114_193511.jpg

So I've got a couple of longish bines (3-4m) that have got some teeny hop cones growing... but I've also got some bines still emerging from the ground.

Should I let them grow? Or kill'em all?

I've also got a couple of bines that branch into 3 or more bines about 5cm off the ground... is that okay, or are they going to starve each other when summer and growth is in full swing?

The flinders hops are charging ahead!
Has anyone brewed with this variety before? From what I could find, it's similar to Columbus.

Pic as of this morning :)
HopCones02.jpg

This galaxy was thriving a week ago now turning yellow. Anybody got any suggestions. Gets all day sun, water the evening. Can it be saved?

1416100104980.jpg

Not sure what the yellowing is caused by. One of my Cascade has that issue. Nitrogen deficiency? I've just given it a bump of fertilizer.

Meanwhile….

Here is my bad boy.
It's a cascade from Bunnings
Currently two years old.

The single runner on the right im not sure of the species.
Hopefully i can get some yeild and find out.

image.jpg

sibrew said:
This galaxy was thriving a week ago now turning yellow. Anybody got any suggestions. Gets all day sun, water the evening. Can it be saved?
I didn't think you could get galaxy rhizomes, I was under the impression that they were under contract or something.

Rob.P said:
I didn't think you could get galaxy rhizomes, I was under the impression that they were under contract or something.
+1 to that.

As for the yellow leaves, plants in pots need constant liquid feeding. Liquid manure is best as it contains everything a plant could need. Sheep or cattle manure is recommended as it doesn't burn.

Could be wrong but sheep and cow shit straight onto a plant is no good as it doesn't break down quickly enough to be of any use.
Am sure it is best thrown into a bin with water and allowed to soak for a week or so then the liquid is used for fertilising ?

Bit of reading on BYO suggests a compost tea. Can't copy as on phone but it states yellowing leaves on bottom of plant are typical of growing 1st year plants. Fertilise with a compost 'tea' and trim lower leaves. Maybe worth a try?
I trim my lower leaves to roughly 300mm. It makes it easier to water the base of the plant, reduces the risk of pests and disease and makes it easier to trim or select late bines.

Edit: how hot does it get against that wall?

Yob said:
Must admit.. I cut back my Cascade today, had heaps of bines but they seemed to have had a burst and then stalled, (water has not been an issue) kept a few, cut the rest, with any luck it'll throw a bunch more that do better..

conversely, my Victoria and Chinook are at the top of the line :)
This happened with my Red Earth, stalled but now throwing new growth. My cascade hasn't even popped up yet :(

I completely severed and disposed of all growth from my POR today..

I admit to not having treated it well, its still in a pot, (a third year plant should not be in a pot!!) I didnt do any soil conditioning, It's really my shame of Ringwood at the mo'

If I can manage it, I'' take it out of the pot and do some soil work next weekend.

My Cascade have started to flower already...??? :huh:

2014-11-17 15.28.43.jpg
Chinook (left) and tettnanger (right)
2014-11-17 15.28.59.jpg
Left is goldings, right is hersbrucker.

All first year plants, the trellis is a bit over 3m. Bets on whether I will get cones or not? Also does anyone know what has been eating this?
2014-11-17 15.29.25.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back