2015 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sdb
The cones on your plant are nearly as bid as my whole plant !!!
Haha.
I did have to chop them and let them start again due to a mildew problem.
I have two potted cascades, below is the bigger one !!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1415334619.361983.jpg
Tennis ball for reference.

Looking healthy now, they will grow strong.

CF

So I'm told to cut my plants way way back first week of November (talking second year tetnang, my other plants I'm not worried about) to get a bigger crop.

At the moment I have 3-4 shoots at about 2.5m height.

So, I should just cut em all right back?

hmm that's the opposite advice to what I've been told -c utting them back increases the number of cones.

I cut one of my dwarf cluster back to ground level yesterday because it didn't have any strong bines suitable for running up string. If you have trained a number of bines up string to 2.5 metres and they are growing well, then it would be silly to cut it back to ground.

hoppy2B said:
I cut one of my miniature clusters back to ground level yesterday because it didn't have any strong bines suitable for running up string. If you have trained a number of bines up string to 2.5 metres and they are growing well, then it would be silly to cut it back to ground.
Must admit.. I cut back my Cascade today, had heaps of bines but they seemed to have had a burst and then stalled, (water has not been an issue) kept a few, cut the rest, with any luck it'll throw a bunch more that do better..

conversely, my Victoria and Chinook are at the top of the line :)

Funny, my Victoria and Chinook have been kicking my Cascade's ass this year too. Not at all the case before. VIC and Cascade were the front runners.

Sheeit. My cascade's over 12 foot high and starting to flower whereas my chinook still doesn't want to start climbing. Must admit it gets less sun and is probably a bit pot bound in its third or fourth year.

found all these leaves at the base of my Cascade plant this week and trimmed them off. there are more that are less effected.....what is it??

002.JPG

001.JPG

Oh dude. Your hops have been infected by the deaths-head hawkemoth. You will have to rub the lotion on the bine before it gets the hose again..

Pratty1 said:
found all these leaves at the base of my Cascade plant this week and trimmed them off. there are more that are less effected.....what is it??

attachicon.gif
002.JPG

attachicon.gif
001.JPG
Its...... nothing to worry about. ;)

http://ipm.wsu.edu/field/pdf/HopHandbook2009.pdf

Here is a PDF on hop management, those leaves above that have been under attack looks like the work of the Diamondback Moth which generally only attack brassicas, although they also attack Cannola. If it is only the bottom leaves I wouldn't be worrying about it, I would even try a bit of Tomato and vegetable dust on the plant it will also protect the plant from fungal disease as well as insects.

Hop envy indeed. Why would my hops be taking so long to break ground?
Photos later, but all are just emerging to under 10cm tall.

Les

Hey Pratty
there are plenty of ground dwellers that attack the bottom leaves, red legged earth mites and lucerne flea attack mine but they rare get above the bottom 20 -30 cm, normally the hops will out compete and nothing to worry about ... if you see them spreading upwards you might have to look at some insecticide (whatever you're happy with) ... but hops is generally fast and tough (once it gets going)

Pratty1 said:

Fuggles is competing with the Cascade this year (at about 1.5m) .. all others thinking of getting off the ground (tetnang was apathetic last year might be a no show this year)

Yob said:
I found miniature tett could do with a hack back, second shoots grew much better though ymmv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back