2017 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Possums!?
Friggen cute but sometimes rechard little buggers. They are stupid too you can get away with lots of growth they don't find but they totally destroyed my Tettnang in repetitious attacks and ate a lot of my Aquaponic cascade too. Think of solid structures is there paths so try keep growth away from solid structures like fences and trees and roofs etc. They wont climb out on flimsy strings but in some cases they did take leaps of faith off the roof of my house onto my stringed growth only to fall through it and leave big holes through the canopy of growth and evidence of the fact like bent stretched bines were they fell through etc.
Get a dog if you don't have one, keeps them off the ground to get up your grow structures but then the dog can be a pain at night when they abuse the Possums.
Re- Good luck with the battles. Its all worth it in my opinion. :cool:

Oh, The possums did eat the cones as well were they could get to them. I thought the cones were safe but they first ate all tips and foliage were they could then they ate the cones too!
Frigg'n tree rodents!

Last edited:
Hey Guys I have 2 Rhizomes on the way from Drsumurto (Chinook and Victoria) planning on putting them into pots at this stage. Have been advised that large half wine barrel is a good size however as its only temp potting not sure if I want to pay $125 per half 300ml barrel

Does anyone know where to get large plastic pots for a reasonable cost that would be suitable?

Plan is to run some twine up my fence with the pots at the bottom

Cheers :)

The biggest pots I could find were at Bunnings, I'd probably buy plastic rubbish bins (bigger) and drill holes in the bottom if I had to grow in pots again.
The big black Bunnings pots I mentioned are pretty heavy when full, anything bigger and your looking at a trolley if they needed to be moved.

Hey Guys I have 2 Rhizomes on the way from Drsumurto (Chinook and Victoria) planning on putting them into pots at this stage. Have been advised that large half wine barrel is a good size however as its only temp potting not sure if I want to pay $125 per half 300ml barrel

Does anyone know where to get large plastic pots for a reasonable cost that would be suitable?

Plan is to run some twine up my fence with the pots at the bottom

Cheers :)

I found that 400mm+ pots work for first year rhizomes. Got a good amount from a 1st year with a 400mm. Wouldn't leave them in any longer than 12 months though.

Zomes going for 3rd year now. Want to select 3 bines and trim the rest. Currently triming out fresh bines every 3 days, shit is going crazy. When is right time to let them grow out. I think i remember reading november some time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back