2015 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the responses, it looks like my flinders hops will produce twice, first lot of flowers feel ready to go, and the second lot is still developing!

Here's a pic of the first hop cone I've ever grown, held, smelt, felt, loved :D
hops_flinders_02.jpg

It feels papery like suggested and is probably about the size of a 20 cent piece, perhaps a bit larger actually.
My biltong dryer will be used to draw out the moisture of the cones, and I'll chuck them in the freezer to use in my next batch of APA.
Cascade is also coming on, only a few cones on that so far, they are a bit smaller...

Cheers
Martin

Edit: added more info

Nice one martin. Good amount of lupulin there.

Like you, I had never held, smelt and scrunched a real hop cone before. It a rewarding little side hobby.

I have, usually they form at about the same time though, just spaced a few weeks apart, so when the first lot is picked, a second will mature a few weeks later

It sure is SDB, I'll be making up a batch of APA. Well, I'll siphon off x amount of liters of wort to suit whatever hops I've managed to grow.

Thanks for the heads up Yob, I guess I'll be picking again in a couple of weeks :D

hops_flinders_03.jpg

35g collected this morning. I'm using my biltong box to dry them out (Check QLDKev's website)

I can not beleive folk are harvesting already! My poor little Cascade is still in its infancy. Isn't Feb/March supposed to be the harvesting season for hops in the southern hemisphere?

That's what I thought too, I'm surprised so many people already have cones.

I found one leaf that looked a bit damaged the other day, trimmed it off and had a look at the underside and saw this

Caterpillar Damage.jpg

They soon saw the underside of my shoe, thankfully I didn't see any sign of more of them anywhere else.

So what is the best, or rather the easiest, way to dry hops once my first year cascade and Chinook produce the 11kgs I've been promised..

I reckon spread out on a fly screen in a cool dry place for a few days should cover it. 11kgs you say? Better use two flyscreens...

1st mini harvest this morning. 31 grams. All cascade. Should be a fair bit more to come I think. Drying in a fly screen now.

Yob said:
That's not from the zomes I sent you is it bb?
sure are mate! I have let the Chinook and POR run together for this year and will change the trellis next season. You where right about the Pride being a monster, it was easy 1.5m shorter than the Chinook a few weeks ago. I timed the amount of sunlight they are getting and got no more than 6hrs direct a dayB)

BottloBill said:
sure are mate! I have let the Chinook and POR run together for this year and will change the trellis next season. You where right about the Pride being a monster, it was easy 1.5m shorter than the Chinook a few weeks ago. I timed the amount of sunlight they are getting and got no more than 6hrs direct a dayB)
I have been playing around with Canna plant nutrients and big bud hydroponics products....No I don't grow dope but I figured if this is the closest cousin to it then it's Gunna love the same food;)

Finally getting some hairy buds on my cascade .
ive also ran some extra cable to optimise my growth ;)image.jpgimage.jpg

Damn! My Red Earth has just started to climb while the cascade didn't even pop it's head up :(

My cascade is yet to be seen also, Chinook doing ok, tettnang and POR doing reasonably well

I finally began training my first year Columbus yesterday. It was a nice big rhizome I planted too.

Is anyone in the Adelaide area interested in growing Columbus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back