2015 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be keen to give columbus a go. I'll have a heap of cascade rhizomes after this season if you'd like to try cascade.

J

Hey Bob. Your victoria crown has topped out my 12 ft bamboo poles. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1418195894.333603.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1418195914.249513.jpg

Lost the tips off all my bines in the hail storm 2 weeks ago but on the plus side they have thrown heaps of shoots out sideways, buds forming at picking height.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1418196801.058040.jpg

Jacob Thomas said:
I'd be keen to give columbus a go. I'll have a heap of cascade rhizomes after this season if you'd like to try cascade.

J
I have 2 Cascade plants already thanks.

I was just thinking to pull some excess shoots in a few weeks after I had trained enough bines. They are easy to get going at this time of year from shoots.

hoppy2B said:
They are easy to get going at this time of year from shoots.
Any chance you care to share your method of planting these shoots?
I'd be keen to expand my collection's viability (and potentially swap a few with other brewers)

seehuusen said:
Any chance you care to share your method of planting these shoots?
I'd be keen to expand my collection's viability (and potentially swap a few with other brewers)
Propagating from shoots is more for the grower who has been at it for a few years and has large plants. I recommend you bury some bine. Keep the bine you have buried moist and it will turn into rhizome. Make sure you use bine which is run up string as the stuff lying on the ground doesn't grow to the same thickness.

Ummm, sooo....Are these hops? I'd kind of given up on this rhizome. And how do I train them up now it's got lots of shoots?

IMG_20141214_165658.JPG

Nope. It looks like a weed. I'd say your rhizome has rotted.

In that case I won't bother with stringing up a few lines then.

Thanks.

My victoria SMASHING FIRST SEASON!!!
(had a little trouble when transplanted)

1418636426150.jpg

Columbus second season (barely survived last year)
1418636486816.jpg

Im just hoping they stay stay alive for next year.

Columbus looks pretty wet rob !
Did you just water it ?

That's a lot of water dude !!

I like the storage tub idea. You did put holes in the bottom though right?

Most of my plants have had accelerated growth since we've had a bit of rain. One of the bines has won the race to the top of the twine with a few others catching up fast.

LiquidGold said:
I like the storage tub idea. You did put holes in the bottom though right?

Most of my plants have had accelerated growth since we've had a bit of rain. One of the bines has won the race to the top of the twine with a few others catching up fast.
Yep holes in for sure.
Not my first choice of pot but its what I had around.

Don't worry, I've got some ginger growing in styrofoam boxes and some old bathtubs being used as wicking beds/aquaponics grow beds. Looks aren't really a worry as long as things grow.

You can find pictures of my Saaz and cascade earlier in the thread, both are in 50l plastic kegs,

next year I'll be planting them in the ground I think and then possibly moving the two smaller (almost failed) rhyzomes into those.

I'm thinking of doing a project with the kids where we set up a hessian lined milk crates (or similar).

I also have an old bath with corn, basil and tomato's in the back yard

my hops that were murdered by the dog (who wanted to play, not eat)...

the cascade is dead...

the chinook however, (and its shot easily another foot since i took this 2 weeks back.. 2 strong bines).

IMG_20141204_235227.jpg

Really wish the cascade was powering along too though, i love that hop !

Any idea what these critters are and how to control them? Found a couple across the plants this season but assumed they were caterpillars, but this one i found on the underside of a leaf has a bunch of little baby grubs tucked away underneath it in a silk nest?! Also seeing tens of small black/brown smooth skinned caterpillars but i think theyll be controlled by the same product? Any help appreciated!ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1418778342.971185.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1418778362.783338.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back