2014 Vic Xmas Caseswap TASTING

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AJ80 said:
11. JB - bastardised Zombie Dust
Mmmm, Citra. Aroma and flavour screams all things Citra - which I'm loving! Dark straw appearance and great head retention. Smooth, firm bitterness. Well brewed mate, very very enjoyable!
Glad you liked it Az, have to catch ya soon to compare notes, cheers mate!

Just found another bottle of the Chestnut Pilsner, Nath. Goddam beautiful! Wife loves it too. Yep.
Just finishing up after 2 week of ketosis & with the lightning cracking overhead ... This smooth brew is the perfect beer to get back on the wagon with :) thank you!

GrumpyPaul said:
AJ thanks for the feedback. Very pleased to hear people are liking this beer.

Sorry about the carbing. I think I am going to have to stop using carb drops - I am finding that 2 drops seems to be a bit too much.
Perfect for a growler though ;)

Just enjoyed a beautiful 17. Whiteferret - Belgian Witbier whilst watering the fruit trees and hops.

I have a hefe on tap that I'm quiet fond of but this completley blows it out of the water. Has golden beautiful haze with a white head that doesnt leave. Has a malty sweetness upfront that is perfectly balanced with the carbonation. Somehow this ended up being forgotten about and in the back of the fridge but what a great beer on a hot Melbourne day like today. Thanks Wayne, I'm really enjoying this bottle but its running out too fast!!

Im down to one last swap left (I've been slow), Oats of Onan is next.

Hmmm what to brew for the VIC Winter '15 swap....

Midnight Brew said:
Just enjoyed a beautiful [background=#f7f7f7]17. Whiteferret - Belgian Witbier whilst watering the fruit trees and hops.[/background]

I have a hefe on tap that I'm quiet fond of but this completley blows it out of the water. Has golden beautiful haze with a white head that doesnt leave. Has a malty sweetness upfront that is perfectly balanced with the carbonation. Somehow this ended up being forgotten about and in the back of the fridge but what a great beer on a hot Melbourne day like today. Thanks Wayne, I'm really enjoying this bottle but its running out too fast!!

[background=#f7f7f7]Im down to one last swap left (I've been slow), Oats of Onan is next.[/background]

Hmmm what to brew for the VIC Winter '15 swap....

Thanks Cam. Glad you enjoyed it.
How were the phenolics from the yeast after this amount of time? All of that batch that I had fermented has long gone and I was wondering how it had aged.

Finally got around to trying mayor of milduras IPA.

Really enjoying this beer great aroma straight up, carbonation on point and a nice long lingering bitterness. I thought I had lost it but it was hidden behind a keg in the keezer.

Gave my longnecks only glass it's first use tonight also. It may or not have been found in the home decorations section of ikea haha

Pint glass for size reference. image.jpg

Tahoose said:
Gave my longnecks only glass it's first use tonight also. It may or not have been found in the home decorations section of ikea haha
Are you sure it wasn't meant to be a vase????

Even so - this is the best use for it.

Well yeah it was "supposed" to be a vase, but I think I'm more of a hop flower guy than a roses guy.

Nice solid glass, almost 1cm thick.

EXTREME WARNING :ph34r:

RE: 13. mofox1 - Ella Pale / Galaxy Pale

I JUST OPENED THIS BOTTLE IN THE LOUNGE ROOM AND IT EXPLODED its contents !!

​If you haven't drunk these...

​These are potential bottle BOMBS... I spent the last hour cleaning beer of the ceiling, off the carpet and all the lounges.. it literally exploded from the bottle ..

Open these outside or throw them out !

ALSO second bottle i opened in a row is labelled on lid as 1/25.12 MIDNIGHT BREW - Zeus IPA possibly slight infection ?? it is bubbling over slowly since I opened it...have to wait for it to stop bubbling over to try it.. don't leave this any longer.. drink it NOW at risk of bottle bombs..hopefully its just over carbed ..

​Can someone pm midnight..i can't pm him to let him know for some reason

sorry mofox & midnight!!

Grainer said:
EXTREME WARNING :ph34r:

RE: 13. mofox1 - Ella Pale / Galaxy Pale

I JUST OPENED THIS BOTTLE IN THE LOUNGE ROOM AND IT EXPLODED its contents !!

​If you haven't drunk these...

​These are potential bottle BOMBS... I spent the last hour cleaning beer of the ceiling, off the carpet and all the lounges.. it literally exploded from the bottle ..

Open these outside or throw them out !

ALSO second bottle i opened in a row is labelled on lid as 1/25.12 MIDNIGHT BREW - Zeus IPA possibly slight infection ?? it is bubbling over slowly since I opened it...have to wait for it to stop bubbling over to try it.. don't leave this any longer.. drink it NOW at risk of bottle bombs..hopefully its just over carbed

sorry mofox !!
Ugh.... Don't apologise to me. Sincerest apologies to you and the missus.

I did put up a warning a while ago that these were gushers, but I think your experience rules out the reason I thought (*lots* of hop debris - first time dry hopping for only a couple of days before bottling). Also bumps from annoying to dangerous. Must have been bad process somewhere on my part.

Hope everyone else managed to about this.

missus was in other room.. she just told me to deal with it so all good .. lol.. btw nice rig u have

Over the last couple of swaps there have been a few entries on the dangerous side of ideal (not isolating your beer here mofox)

I reckon we should be moving to PET only, following qld's model.

This is starting to sound like a good idea I think.. mind u a pain in the arse for those nonPET people.. but as a OH&S consultant I think we should risk manage this and say PET from now on!! but might have to make that for the chrissy one if people have already brewed for the july one...

Yob said:
Over the last couple of swaps there have been a few entries on the dangerous side of ideal (not isolating your beer here mofox)

I reckon we should be moving to PET only, following qld's model.
I'm a big boy now Yob, I can take it.

+1 to the PET idea... At least that way people are going to end up with mostly the same sort of bottles when all is done and swapped.

Yep PET 750mL bottles is a great idea, as stated for consistency in our swap bottles as well as underlying safety. It's getting hard to source a round of similar bottles twice a year :p

Can PET bottle caps be reused or are they a once only like crown seals?

Why don't people just make beer properly? Ferment till finished, clean and sanitise bottles, prime at correct rate. Especially important when giving beer away. Exploding pet is also risky.
Gushing beer is different to bottle bombs too.

Sorry - not involved in recent swaps so I should shut up but deal with cause, not symptoms.

I agree manticle, however, it sometimes happens that the knowns don't happen, I had two slabs of potential bombs sitting in my hallway with the daughter walking past it all the time, quite a worry...

I agree, not to be taken lightly. Exploding plastic won't do her any good either, swms and fluoro vests notwithstanding.
Glass is not the problem. Take responsibility when you give brew away, be aware of what getting it wrong can do.
Not making bottle bombs is easy. Don't make bottle bombs. Easy.

Yes plastic can still explode and it would be perfect if noone made gushers or bottle bombs but I think its not possible to eliminate the risk. Its risk minimization and PET bottle will at least provide some early indication of potential explosion by swelling wont it?

Whilet personally I check my beers and ensure they are finished you cant help a bottle imperfectiom or weakness so glass could give under a normaly carbonated beer.

If people arent taking all the precautions necessary to avoid bottle bombs then they shouldn't be giving beer to others or even making beer in the first place as thats negligent, I don't believe that anyone swapping has that mindset so a simple switch to PET and a timely reminder to be cautious and ensure beers are finished is a good course for us to take. PET won't make the experience any less desirable and it will ensure swap regulars have a consistent case of bottles to reuse each time.

Latest posts

Back