2014 Vic Xmas Caseswap TASTING

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JB said:
Hi, I was a bit concerned using a couple of carb drops in the Zombie Dust. I had the last one yesterday & it seemed alright, so if anyone wants to open theirs & let me know, that'd be great. Cheers
JB....I think you might not have capped mine properly. The cap came off very easily and the beer unfortunately was a flat as a tack.

That did not stop me drinking it all. The flavour was sensational. Probably the best bit of feedback I can give you is the fact that MrsGrumpy's comment was "I loved it".....MrsGrumpy isnt a beer drinker. We shared the Zombie Dust and I got in trouble because my idea of sharing wasnt equal.

I'd love to get the recipe off you.

AJ80 said:
14. GrumpyPaul - Red IPA

Really nice drop Paul. Amazing deep red hue with lots of fruit on the nose + some malt sweetness. Taste - fantastic. Lots of body which holds up well to the very firm bitterness which I'm definitely enjoying. Again, more citrus in the flavour. My only gripe was that this was a bit over carbed, but once it had settled down was quite enjoyable.
AJ thanks for the feedback. Very pleased to hear people are liking this beer.

Sorry about the carbing. I think I am going to have to stop using carb drops - I am finding that 2 drops seems to be a bit too much.

Empty fermenter, 1m of vinyl hose, sugar syrup.

Bulk priming done and dusted. I normally work with about 4.5g-5g sugar/ltr

GrumpyPaul said:
JB....I think you might not have capped mine properly. The cap came off very easily and the beer unfortunately was a flat as a tack.

That did not stop me drinking it all. The flavour was sensational. Probably the best bit of feedback I can give you is the fact that MrsGrumpy's comment was "I loved it".....MrsGrumpy isnt a beer drinker. We shared the Zombie Dust and I got in trouble because my idea of sharing wasnt equal.

I'd love to get the recipe off you.
Thanks for your feedback Paul.

I was really kicking myself for rushing to bottle this beer the weekend before the swap. I also used carb drops. I hate bottling but before I stopped, I'd bulk prime every time. Something nqr happened here, whether cap or - I'm looking at you missing carb drops >:[ ... apologies mate.

I'm very glad you & Mrs Grumpy liked the beer, carb aside. Here's the recipe:

5kg Pale Ale Malt
1kg Munich
400g Wheat Malt
300g Caraaroma
300g Carapils
200g Crystal 40

20g Citra @ 75 mins (FWH)
25g Citra @ 15, 10, 5 & 1 mins

25g Citra @ dry hops 7 & 14 days

WLP001 - California Ale

I had beernuts Saison a couple of days ago. I really enjoyed this and it was full of fruitiness. Pepper and citrus from the yeast and I really pleasant lingering fruit (mango?) aftertaste balanced very well with the bitterness.Good lacing down the glass with a nice tight head. I shared it with a friend not familiar with the style and he also really enjoyed it. Very good summer beer. Thanks very much Beernut. Yummo.

2. Grainer - Melandolin Induced Munich Dunkel

Top beer mate. Awesome aroma of burned toast and a persistent tan head. The appearance on this thing is fantastic. Flavour is malty, crisp and just a hint of burned toast. Very refreshing and damn enjoyable.

As an aside, anyone cracked my saison yet??

AJ80 said:
Not yet - but I am planning to take a crate full away this weekend when I go away with my son and his mate to the Ballarat Beer Festival.

After the festival - dont expect detailed notes.

But if we drink a few on Friday night - I should be capable of making some notes.

Thanks mate.. think im about to blow the keg of it anyday now.. ive been drinking it for the last 2 months
AJ80 said:
2. Grainer - Melandolin Induced Munich Dunkel

Top beer mate. Awesome aroma of burned toast and a persistent tan head. The appearance on this thing is fantastic. Flavour is malty, crisp and just a hint of burned toast. Very refreshing and damn enjoyable.

djar007 said:
I had beernuts Saison a couple of days ago. I really enjoyed this and it was full of fruitiness. Pepper and citrus from the yeast and I really pleasant lingering fruit (mango?) aftertaste balanced very well with the bitterness.Good lacing down the glass with a nice tight head. I shared it with a friend not familiar with the style and he also really enjoyed it. Very good summer beer. Thanks very much Beernut. Yummo.
Thanks Djar007, its dry hopped with Mosaic, Citra, Galaxy and Nelson Sauvin. So take your pick for the fruitiness. The mango will be from the Mosaic though. Cheers Karl

20. djaroo7( Steam Beer)

Cracker of a drop. Really enjoying the aroma on this (to me it's like earthy marmalade, but maybe I'm strange). Crisp and dry, this is another refreshing swap beer. Well brewed Dave.

Siborg said:
10. Mayor of Mildura - IPA
Smashed this last night and it was amazing. I had to pour it really slowly as it was foaming up heaps. I could tell as soon as I (eventually, with the help of multigrips) opened the bottle that this was gonna be a ripper. That hop aroma! Wow! It was quite hazy, I'm guessing from all the hop resins. The huge head eventually settled down but left a large pillowey head sitting on the top. Mouthfeel was interesting: it was quite heavy on the carbonation, and felt kind of thin. But on the carbonation, it wasn't really harsh, like coke. I'm finding it hard to describe properly. It definitely wasn't unpleasant. The flavour had a honey-like sweetness, and heaps of pine/citrus flavour. It's the first hoppy beer I've had in a while that has that massive hit of hops without any lingering bitterness. It was like a massive bang of hops, then stopped as it fizzed away.

Superb work! I want to make more beer like this.
I feel like a man cos I opened this one with my bare hands, and also cos I drank and enjoyed it. Packed a lot of punch and not for the feint hearted! Reminds me of my first IPA tasting getting that huge hit of bitterness and hop aroma.

Didn't have any gushing or over carb issues mine was great, maybe Siborg you got one of the first or last filled bottles as I'm learning that commonly can cause some bottles in a batch to be odd ones out.

Anyways, well done to the mayor of Mildura, good show!

11. JB - bastardised Zombie Dust

Mmmm, Citra. Aroma and flavour screams all things Citra - which I'm loving! Dark straw appearance and great head retention. Smooth, firm bitterness. Well brewed mate, very very enjoyable!

Had Navaraus summer ale, enjoyed it!

Had Tahooses IPA and also enjoyed that!

Apologies didn't take notes other than what was left of my memory for the night but both beers brought me a smile!

Just got home from work and and decided it was a good night for a swap beer.

#14 - grumpy Paul's red IPA

Pine on the nose, bitterness up front with a nice amount of malt flavour. Good amount of carbonation with a medium to full mouthfeel.

HEAD rentention to the max. Poured it gently and still poured a 2inch head, still .5 cm of head left at the end of this first glass.

Thanks Paul, think this has been one of my favourite beers from the swap. It's bittersweet drinking this one alone. But I'm sort of glad I don't have to share.

Tahoose said:
Just got home from work and and decided it was a good night for a swap beer.

#14 - grumpy Paul's red IPA

Pine on the nose, bitterness up front with a nice amount of malt flavour. Good amount of carbonation with a medium to full mouthfeel.

HEAD rentention to the max. Poured it gently and still poured a 2inch head, still .5 cm of head left at the end of this first glass.

Thanks Paul, think this has been one of my favourite beers from the swap. It's bittersweet drinking this one alone. But I'm sort of glad I don't have to share.
Thanks for the feedback - glad you liked it.

I have one bottle left that, given the postive feedback its getting, I am saving to enter into the Merri Mashers IPA comp coming up.

GrumpyPaul said:
Thanks for the feedback - glad you liked it.

I have one bottle left that, given the postive feedback its getting, I am saving to enter into the Merri Mashers IPA comp coming up.
Did you filter mate? The clarity was exceptional. Wondering if thats a benefit of recirculating wort thriugh the mash need if you didn't filter?

No filtering.

But contrary to the age old argument not to, I rack most of my beers into a secondary with some gelatin, chill for a few days then bottle/keg.

12. Navarau - summer ale

Ripper. Amazing clarity. Great head retention. Crisp, dry and fruity. Low bitterness made this very drinkable. Very very enjoyable and well brewed. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back