2014 Vic Xmas Caseswap TASTING

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Swap recipe - Rye IPA

Original Gravity (OG): 1.067
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012
Alcohol (ABV): 7.2 %
Colour (SRM): 12.3 (EBC): 24.2
Bitterness (IBU): 68.8 (Average)

81.5% Joe White Traditional Ale
13% Rye Malt
2.5% Crystal 60
2.5% Crystal 90
0.5% Chocolate

1.1 g/L Vic Secret (16% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (First Wort)
0.6 g/L Amarillo (8.6% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Cube)
0.6 g/L Vic Secret (16% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Cube)
1.1 g/L Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop)

0.1 g/L BrewBright @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
Step Infusion 64/72/78
Fermented at 18°C with US-05

Started with this as inspiration and changed the hops, mainly going off smurto's affection for vic secret with rye.

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26124

GrumpyPaul said:
14. GrumpyPaul - Red IPA- bottled 25/11 - DRINK IT NOW.

Did I say mine is ready?
Put it in the fridge on Sunday after I mowed the lawns and needed a cold beer (hindsight's a bitch). Haven't had a chance to drink it yet, but may have to crack it open tonight after work.

14 Grumpy Paul Red IPA

Holy shit! I wasnt gonna post a picture but this beer just looked amazing! Deep red, clear, with a firm off-white head that rises quickly then settles to a half cm persistent head all the way down.

Aroma is just awesome. Plenty of citrus, honey, fresh pine. Even the missus commented on the pleasantness of the aroma (and shes not a beer drinker).

Medium to high carb, med-full body, finishes just short of dry.

Taste starts off all sweet, honey malt. Lots of darker caramel notes as well. The hop flavour quickly fits in with all the malt. Hop flavour mirrors the aroma. Citrus, pine and more citrus.

The thing I love most about this beer is the balance. At first you think its a better balanced american amber. The malt and hop flavour just sit so harmoniously. Then the mouthfeel starts to dry and the bitterness shines through and puts this back in the league of IPA.

Mate, seriously great beer. I've got less than half a pint left and I'm savoring it because its the best beer I've ever drank. Big claim, I know, but holy hell this is good. Great work!
Would love the recipe if you are kind enough to share.

1418727874366.jpg

Glad you liked it. Thanks for the great, and detailed review.

This is the third time I've made this. Grain bill stays the same, but I play with the hops each time.
Even the time I mucked up using brewmate and forgot to tick the no chill box making it a mouth puckering 120ish IBUs it was still drinkable..

Will gladly post the recipe for this latest version tomorrow night when I'm sitting at my laptop.

Siborg said:
Would love the recipe if you are kind enough to share.
Here you go.

It was originally going to be dry hopped with Simcoe but I ran our - so subbed it for the Amarillo.

CubeHop Red IPA
American IPA

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 19.0
Total Grain (kg): 6.749
Total Hops (g): 135.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.067 (°P): 16.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.017 (°P): 4.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 6.58 %
Colour (SRM): 21.9 (EBC): 43.1
Bitterness (IBU): 86.1 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 60
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
6.057 kg Pale Ale Malt (89.75%)
0.532 kg Caraaroma (7.88%)
0.107 kg Melanoidin (1.59%)
0.053 kg Roasted Barley (0.79%)

Hop Bill
----------------
15.0 g Apollo Pellet (18.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.8 g/L)
30.0 g Cascade Pellet (7.8% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (1.6 g/L)
30.0 g Nelson Sauvin Pellet (11.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (1.6 g/L)
30.0 g Simcoe Pellet (12.2% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (1.6 g/L)
30.0 g Amarillo Pellet (8.6% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (1.6 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 18°C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Excited! Just loaded fridge with all the ready to drinks beers... Game on!

23. Poggor Dr pratts wits end.
Man it was an enjoyable experience drinking this beer. Straw colour, effervescent, the bubbles looked like they were dancing around the glass, was cool to watch. Phenolics weren't overpowering and finished dry enough to make this very quaffable.
Cheers

5. Tahoose Rye IPA

Mmmmmmm...bitter, fruity and rye spice. This beer is all kinds of nice.

Mad rhymes aside, this is a very well balanced and well brewed beer. More than enough malt and body to handle the heavy handed hops. Epic head retention and perfect carb. Ripping beer mate.

1. Midnight Brew - Sons of Zeus IPA (Red X, Apollo, Bravo) DRINKING 25/12

This is better than pats mum

mayor of mildura said:
1. Midnight Brew - Sons of Zeus IPA (Red X, Apollo, Bravo) DRINKING 25/12

This is better than pats mum
Hahaha amazing.

Is it better then the look on Old Mate's face after the two of you destroyed that public toilet?

Midnight Brew said:
Hahaha amazing.

Is it better then the look on Old Mate's face after the two of you destroyed that public toilet?
Lol. Had a couple of shandys with the boys from work last night. This beer was a stand out.

I shared mardoos big dick with patto too. It tasted like licorice all sorts.

That's cause you drank it close to Christmas. If you had drank it Australia day it would have tasted like a snag with sauce. Actually I have no effin' idea how that one is going to turn out since it was very experimental and quite a bodgey brew day, so allsorts it is!

Yeah...finally got off my arse and picked up my swaps from Adam's place.

Now the dilemma of what to drink first...

bloody hell - so many winners, think you lot might be scaring potential brewers away from this swap thing with all these tasty libations!

well....me at least

droid said:
bloody hell - so many winners, think you lot might be scaring potential brewers away from this swap thing with all these tasty libations!

well....me at least
The only thing to be scared of is being too slow to put your name down to swap.

Swapping is open to brewers of any level of experience - I think the "unwritten" thing is you offer up the best beer you are capable of. You'll learn from the reviews of your own and the tastings of others.

Swaps make better brewers....dont be scared get on board the July 2015 one if there are stil spots.

Latest posts

Back