2014 Vic Xmas Caseswap TASTING

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Midnight Brew - Sons of Zeus IPA (Red X, Apollo, Bravo) DRINKING 25/12
2. Grainer - Munich Dunkel - DRINKING LAST WEEK.. BEEN READY FOR AGES
3. Idzy BOTTLED ON THE DAY!
4. Brewnut - Fruity Hopped Saison with Brett DRINKING NOW
5. Tahoose Rye IPA, Drink now
6. Siborg - Milk Stout - ready to drink
7. Mardoo - Onan's Oats, Oaten Brown, Still carbing up so leave out of fridge for a couple weeks. Drink Australia Day
8. Damn - Golden Ale or APA DRINKING NOW
9. technobabble66 - Red Red Y'All Saison, leave out to carb, DRINKING 14/12 (may be better after a few months)
10. Mayor of Mildura - IPA Drink After 3/12
11. JB - bastardised Zombie Dust BOTTLE 22/11
12. Navarau Drink now http://www.guyshillb...beerswap-ale-ii
13. mofox1 - 13a. Ella Pale / 13b. Galaxy Pale. Drink after 5/12
14. GrumpyPaul - Red IPA- bottled 25/11 - DRINKING 17/12 or later
16. AJ80 - dusty sunrise (rye saison) - ready
17. Whiteferret - Belgian Witbier - Bottled 26/11 Leave for 2 weeks and go for it
19. AndrewF - Northern English brown ale DRINKING NOW
20. djaroo7( Steam Beer)
21. DJ_L3THAL - FOON Saison - DRINK DECEMBER / JANUARY
23. poggor Dr Pratt's Wit's End (Hefeweizen) DRINKING NOW dare i say it: enjoy with a piece of lemon/lime (the citrus really compliments the phenols!)
16. AJ80 - dusty sunrise (rye saison) - ready
17. Whiteferret - Belgian Witbier - Bottled 26/11 Leave for 2 weeks and go for it
19. AndrewF - Northern English brown ale DRINKING NOW
20. djaroo7( Steam Beer)
21. DJ_L3THAL - FOON Saison - DRINK DECEMBER / JANUARY
23. poggor Dr Pratt's Wit's End (Hefeweizen) DRINKING NOW dare i say it: enjoy with a piece of lemon/lime (the citrus really compliments the phenols!)

Holy Hops Batman!
Just tasting Tahoose's RYE P A
I drank the watered down version of this beer at the case swap but man- this one is amazing.
A buttload of malt, a BUTTLOAD of hops. beautiful cascade aroma.
Beautifully balanced (?double) IPA with the goodness of rye.
this reminds me of one of my favourite american beers the 90 min IPA.
Just beautiful

IMG_3607.jpg

Also: a champagne bottle of this shit gonn **** yo up. that is all.

oh i did....
and i'm nearly ready to smash a milk stout

OK, I'm no judge and I'm trying very hard to keep strictly to observations rather than making too many conclusions based on book reading.

I'm not sure whether this one was ready or not but it's what I wanted to drink:

20. djar007 (Steam Beer/ California Common)
Carb level seems a little low, but maybe I opened it too early. I couldn't tell from the listing. Small, tight head. Not too much hop aroma, which is good for the style. As soon as I got my nose in the glass I was transported back to my years in San Francisco, drinking Anchor Steam on the beach at night in the rain. That solid, bready/yeasty aroma was right there, just like it used to be in Anchor Steam, along with a grain aroma that I also remember. There was also a very slight tart aroma, not at all off, just an aromatic aspect. The aroma is clean.

The bitterness is solid and comes on strong as soon as the beer clears my mouth. I'd say it's masking the after-palate a bit. Great lacing in the glass! I'd love to see one of my beers laced like this, not to mention my shoes...ba-doom-pish! Just a touch of fruitiness from the yeast in the mouth, also with a light hint of sourness. This is a really clean beer. To my palate it's really well made. Good level of hop flavor, just enough to be there, not enough to dominate. I keep comparing it to Anchor Steam just because that's the Steam beer I'm most familiar with. Except this lacks that twang that pasteurised beers have. I'd imagine this is similar to Anchor on tap, but I've never had it on tap. Mendocino Brewing's legendary Red Tail Ale was my go to beer when I lived in San Francisco (1985-1989).

Like I say, I'm no beer judge. However, having drunk a lot of Anchor Steam I'd have to say this is pretty spot on for style. If I were to make any suggestion it'd be to back off the bittering a bit to let the after-palate of the malt come through. And boost the carb a bit.

Really firkin well done Djar007! This was a really well-made beer I fully enjoyed, except drank too fast trying to get these notes down. Only half left!!! :(

poggor said:
Ok so I've cracked the first one:

Number 8 Damn's Golden Ale.

IMG_3593.jpg

Nice deep Gold colour (more amber) Good head.
Beautiful refreshing ale, really drinkable, not overly bitter or strong, reckon this would be a great session brew.

Thanks Damn!

g
Second that. Very nice aroma. Great beer.

Edit. Cheers mardoo. Agree the bitterness lingers a little too long. Had to sub Magnum into it as I ran out of northern. Will up the carb level too. Agree it was under carbed.

You've got what you need to an Anchor Steam clone by my reckoning Djar007. Really well done. I would be proud if I brewed that. I'd love to taste your next iteration.

19. AndrewF - Northern English brown ale

Strong pear aroma. Brilliant clear mahogany great looking beer. Tastes nutty and slightly chocolate. Nuttellaish maybe.

Super beer. I could smash a lot of this. Thanks mate.

5. Tahoose Rye IPA

Wow! I haven't had an overly hoppy beer in ages and your beer has renewed my want for hoppy beers. Poured a thick, fluffy white head which fell quickly to a smaller head, but laced the sides of the glass on the way down. Plenty of floral, citrusy aromas and a decent whack of sweet caramal/toffee aroma. Taste was complex. I had an equal hit of malt sweetness, passionfruit, citrus, then a massive hit of bitterness - the kind I'd expect from an IPA. Mouthfeel: chewey and slick.

Curious about the storage of the beer. Was it stored lying down or something? Because the inside of the bottle opening was covered in yeast. Didn't detract from the beer at all but I must admit I wasn't sure about what I was pouring. Poured a bit of yeast into the glass but I couldn't taste or smell it through all those hops!

Top work! 10/10 would drink again!

5. Tahoose Rye IPA

Friking fantastic IPA...didn't want to have another after this one if that makes sense. Its like scoring the hottest chick at the party and I didn't know who to grab next.

Mate, ripping beer. Amazing appearance and a deep chocolatey, burned toast aroma. I could sniff this beer all day long! Flavour is very similar to the aroma - fantastic. Smooth drinking and well brewed. Would kill for the recipe if you're happy to share it.

5. Tahoose Rye IPA

Alright, I'll join the queue ... Holy Moly! What a ripper Mitch! Hop hoppity hop hops! This big bitch has got some balls! Just had the BP Sculpin (amongst others) @ Oscar's Alehouse in belgrave & this is in the same vein mate. Too toasted to taste against bjcp .... So - fuckin ripper brew, cheers Mitch!

2. Grainer - Munich Dunkel

Fully enjoyed! Huge melanoidin flavors with no fruitiness, so just mouthful after mouthful of malt, malt and more malt. Fully excellent head on the pour that hung around for quite awhile. Strong bittering, perhaps a bit too much? I can't claim any familiarity with the style so I'll just say if I had made it I would back off the bittering a bit, but that's just me. Light body. My mind was expecting more but my mouth liked it as it was. I drank this over the course of a night and it was a great complement to the end of a very long day. I'll think I'll have to have a go at a Munich dunkel now.

Cheers Grainer, great beer!

2. Grainer Munich Dunkel

Really nice, poured dark brown with a good head which hung around a long time.
Flavor and aroma is all about the Munich malt, bready melanoidin flavours.
Carbonation was spot on for style. No fruity esters clean lager flavor very easy drinking.
Great beer left me wanting more, super tasty!!

Cheers mate.

AJ80 said:
Mate, ripping beer. Amazing appearance and a deep chocolatey, burned toast aroma. I could sniff this beer all day long! Flavour is very similar to the aroma - fantastic. Smooth drinking and well brewed. Would kill for the recipe if you're happy to share it.
Glad you enjoyed it. Here's the recipe.

75% Marris Otter
9% crystal 60 ( I think it was 60)
9% oats. used instant oats
5% victory
2% chocolate
Bittered to 15 IBU's with target hops @60 min
30g East Kent goldings about 10 IBU's @20 min
1469 West Yorkshire

5.Tahoose rye.
Poured with a good tight head. Nice dark colour. Aroma is berries, citrus and pine. Very nice. Taste is rich malty and the spice from the rye is pleasant. Well balanced for my tastes and lingering bitterness keeps me drinking. Very nice beer. Reminds me of a rogue evil twin. Thanks mate.

6. Siborg - Milk Stout

This beer is perfect for a cold, damp, summer (?) evening in melbs. Deep chocolate aroma and a low carbonation I'm really enjoying. Flavour is sweet, roast and more chocolate. Low bitterness, but well balanced. Really enjoyable beer.

Funny thing is there's no melanoidin in it .. Just called it that cause people kept saying it when they draNk it lmao

AJ80 said:
6. Siborg - Milk Stout

This beer is perfect for a cold, damp, summer (?) evening in melbs. Deep chocolate aroma and a low carbonation I'm really enjoying. Flavour is sweet, roast and more chocolate. Low bitterness, but well balanced. Really enjoyable beer.
Glad you enjoyed!

Latest posts

Back