The Great Chinese Hop Buy 2009

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeh, some were classic. Never mind.

So far it seems, no-one has been able to punch holes in my hypothesis on Marco Polo. No scientific paper would leave "unknown" anywhere in a comparative analysis unless there is a very good reason. Yes, I think the Chinese would know EXACTLY its origins and breeding. The paper is probably leaving it as unknown for legal reasons. Yes it does happen in the scientific world too, that papers are "adjusted" for a host of legal reaons.

Still think the reason is Marco Polo is a copy or deriviative of a copywrited hop. whether its "simcoe" or another doesn't phase me, BUT columbus!!!!!!!!!, well big doubts.

Graham Sanders
Craftbrewer
Skype "Craftbrewer"
http://radio.craftbrewer.org

edit

oh, and another nail in the coffin of columbus, giving more credence to it being a copywrited hop of high quality, Why the hell is it soooo much more expensive than all the other hops

You claim earlier that it appears in a scientific journal, is peer reviewed, so must be correct...I'm afraid this shows you know little of scientific publishing...

You can literally get anything published in a peer reviewed scientific journal. Also consider that the top scientific journals quite often print papers that are peer reviewed and are completely contradictory...

Love your work, but I have to agree that you do jump to conclusions far too easily.

The simple explanation is they truly did not know the origin...and peer reviewers rarely add missing information...they are reviewers not contributors!

Reported incident of Marco Polo with Hop Stunt Viroid (HSVd) in 2007. :unsure:
http://www.bspp.org.uk/publications/new-disease-reports/ndr.php?id=017002

Would it be possible to get some sort of hop quality report for future hop orders? It wouldn't cost that much when you order few hundred kilos.

~bit

dont worry bit, Graham says the quality its guaranteed...

that is all you should need...

I have to agree that you do jump to conclusions far too easily.

Not so much jumping to conclusions, more putting out alternate theory's and hypothesis. The whole idea is to generate discussion. Its thru discusion we eventually get to the truth. Some-one has to start the ball rolling, and thats all I am doing. Always happy to be corrected when proven wrong (which is rarer than hens teeth) Remember we all took Ross's word from some-one in Hop union (I think) that Marco Polo is columbus. If that was true, it would have been written up as such.

If you want a more definite conclusion, then simple "we have no idea what Marco polo's parentage is at present"

Craftbrewer

Reported incident of Marco Polo with Hop Stunt Viroid (HSVd) in 2007. :unsure:
http://www.bspp.org.uk/publications/new-disease-reports/ndr.php?id=017002

Would it be possible to get some sort of hop quality report for future hop orders? It wouldn't cost that much when you order few hundred kilos.

ummmm yes we get that with every order already. That disease is old news.

Craftbrewer

Its thru discusion we eventually get to the truth. Some-one has to start the ball rolling, and thats all I am doing.

If that were the case you'd be attacking someones argument and not be making personal attacks.

Just to derail the thrilling arguments as to who has the biggest ego, I'm claiming the first photo (and therefore the best) of a Chinese hopped beer on AHB:

ccpa.jpg

Clarity isn't great yet as it's been kicked out of the fermenting fridge early. It's been on for 7 days @ 18c, chilled down to 5c overnight and kegged. Normally I'd CC it for 2-3 days but in a bid to get more beer ready for xmas (need the fermenting fridge) it's been kegged immediately. No different to the first initial tastes previously listed in the thread.

Other than the fact that it's not the Cascade we're all used to, so far so good. More info here.

Just to derail the thrilling arguments as to who has the biggest ego, I'm claiming the first photo (and therefore the best) of a Chinese hopped beer on AHB:

View attachment 33926

Clarity isn't great yet as it's been kicked out of the fermenting fridge early. It's been on for 7 days @ 18c, chilled down to 5c overnight and kegged. Normally I'd CC it for 2-3 days but in a bid to get more beer ready for xmas (need the fermenting fridge) it's been kegged immediately. No different to the first initial tastes previously listed in the thread.

Bah, missed being first by a few hours :( .
I thought that Ross had stolen first?

View attachment 33926

Wait a sec.... That looks a bit odd to me ... better go in for a closer look...

iknewit.gif

All in good fun mates. :p

( Edit: click for bigger )

Phew,

I thought I was going to see a little chinese farmer's "henry the 3rd" as we zoomed in! :eek:

I'm claiming the first photo (and therefore the best) of a Chinese hopped beer on AHB:

Damn you keggers, I've got to wait until about new year to try mine. :angry:

Cheers Daemon I hope you enjoy.

Planner

Edit: speeling again (and I'm still at work and sober)

Well I decided today to really investigate the origins of Marco Polo. I have been talking with breeders, farmers all over China. I just hate these loose ends.

Well I have to hand it to Ross, he was bang on the money (why did I ever doubt him). Here was I, thinking I may have a world scoop on my hand (turns out I am empty handed)

From the breeders

"well, Mr. Sanders, Marco polo is called as "Zeus" in Europe, as "Columbus" in USA, as "MARCO POLO" in China, because the registered chinese name as "marco polo" acctually, the THREE names are the same one HOPS"

Yes, you heard it from me, Marco Polo is Columbus, end of story.

Next I asked why the price is soo high, compared to other hops. After all, hops are hops. Well it seems China prices hops on AAU content. The higher the content, the higher the price. Nugget this year will go up in price, as its AAU has jumped.

Bugger, I want my world exclusive -

Shout
Craftbrewer

Did that Chinese fella have a degree from 1950 though?

And was the email he sent you peer reviewed? ;)

QuantumBrewer: you have too much time on your hands, but it did make me laugh. I'm expecting that after 19L I'll be converted to communism, that is why they're exporting hops to us right? :D

planner: I cheated before kegging even with a carbonator cap, a great little device for carbonating beer quickly :) First taste was before I took that photo and no Chappo, no onion taste :)

Well I have to hand it to Ross, he was bang on the money (why did I ever doubt him). Here was I, thinking I may have a world scoop on my hand (turns out I am empty handed)
How does that humble pie taste?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back