Chinese Hops? What Next

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So just as a point of interest, what price did the marco polo per kg finish up delivered to the door?

stagga.

So just as a point of interest, what price did the marco polo per kg finish up delivered to the door?

Mate

Last job I am doing before I leave this forum and go into lurk mode, is I will break up the full costs of the hop buy.

Decided I would it per kilo basis, so people can see how the costs pan out.

Graham L Sanders

Maybe consider some regional redistribution in addition to how it was done this time? Would require a bit more coordination to ensure each city is ordering in 10 or 20kg multiples, but would share the manual handling workload out a bit more and likely save a bit of postage if a pickup location is possible in major cities where the order is big enough. Wouldn't make sense to send out, repack and then resend, just for pickups where a lot of people would have access. A lot cheaper to have 20kg couriered than 5x5kg satchels if it can be coordinated successfully.

Mate

Last job I am doing before I leave this forum and go into lurk mode, is I will break up the full costs of the hop buy.

Decided I would it per kilo basis, so people can see how the costs pan out.

Graham L Sanders

Good one. Cheers for a big effort :icon_cheers:

stagga.

Can't find those other pics of the original hop split at Chappo's so I'm posting the only pic I took that day showing the early bird splitters at the very start of the split.
Good work men! :icon_cheers:
First_Splitters.JPG

TP

Note Ms Chappo jnr getting in there, she soon could distinguish the Saaz from the Marco Polo etc. Master Chappo junior (not shown) was great carrying satchels to the car "Look at my big muscles" - what an absolute credit to their parents. :icon_cheers:

Forgive me Father, for I have sinned.

I chucked my Chinese hops in the bin on monday. Kept the Saaz, they're not too bad, but I need the freezer space the rest were taking up. Does this mean I'll never be a good brewer??

Mine are awaiting the same fate - have been shifted to the keg freezer until bin day. Bye bye 4kg. Oh well, at least they were cheap!

For those of us who are out of the loop & cant be bothered reading a 63 page behemoth.... What's wrong with these chinese hops anyway? (other than 'they're crap')

And how does one manage to stuff up growing hops?

The problem was that GLS - presumably - got dudded by the suppliers in China, who shipped him stale hops. Personally I didn't mind the Cluster as a bitterer but the Saaz lacked aroma. On the other hand the Marco Polo variety was so astringently bitter it would just about take the skin off the back of the tongue.
No doubt the Chinese do grow acceptable hops - nothing too wrong with TsingTao for example - and the industry was set up by the Czechs originally. Just a question of getting on to the right supplier I guess. Also a willingness to accept that Chinese varieties are probably going to match their namesakes too closely, as with US Cascade vs NZ Cascade etc.

There has been a new Chinese bulk buy organised on another forum, I've bought a kilo of the "new" batch of Chinese Saaz variety and they don't seem too bad. Doing a test brew this weekend.

Oh no, please stop. :unsure:

They may have been shit last time, but this time they are saying they are good

Well in the last 3 years they have come up with the Chery, so who knows :)

homebrew_craft_beer_equipments.jpg_350x350.jpgNot been in touch with them, they did advertise them as 1 kg bags $10 but I would presume it is a 25 kg buy.
Not so much interested in the hops, at the bottom of the page was a picture of something very similar to a Braumeister 50 litre for $1990

Latest posts

Back