The Great Chinese Hop Buy 2009

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Next thing to work on then is apologies.

Not a chance mate, I have utterly nothing to appologise about

My ego remains intact and undamaged.

Ready to feed the chooks at a moments notice

Craftbrewer

When anyone tries to say anything negative, Townsville gets very defensive and his wording comes across as arrogant. This serves to solidify divisions (and create hostility) rather than invite open debate and discussion. Why is this, Townsville?

Ah its simple mate. As stated earlier, its the "feeding the chooks" syndrome.

Sometimes is just great sport watching the chaos unfold. Throw some food, watch, throw some more, watch, etc etc etc.

And like hungry chooks, the same people bite and keep coming back for more. Some never learn.

Craftbrewer

Sometimes is just great sport watching the chaos unfold. Throw some food, watch, throw some more, watch, etc etc etc.

And like hungry chooks, the same people bite and keep coming back for more. Some never learn.

Craftbrewer

Graham,

Everyone can culture yeast and its relatively cheap. There is suddenly an open market for hops at reasonable prices but WHEN are we going to realise a disaggregation of the current malt "retailers" and see cheaper malt on the market.

For God Sake, bumper crops in WA, SA and Vic will result in more DUMPING (yes I mean dumping like excess milk) of malting quality barley and MALT

Of course all homebrewers do know that the malt that is bagged in 25kg lots is that which megebreweries reject and the maltser has to pay for dumping costs somehow?

cheers

darren

Always amusing,

A guy goes out of his way to supply homebrewers the cheapest hops in Australia and there are sooooo many HB shop "groupies" who spend their "intelligence" to try and bring it down.

All praise to the imposter Craftbrewer (Ross) who thinks that "cartels" can control the inguenuity of a homebrewer.

cheers

darren
Snip> Darren there is a lot of credence in those statements, When has X done you a service for nothing ?I have been involved in these non profit hop bulk buys (Graham) from day one and all I get is shit from the X crew. I am happy to be singled out by the X because I know that eventually the X will be exposed for what he is.If they dont like it (non profit) then ..... off and stop post negative crap. Long live free brewing.
GB ( sorry in X's words my name is ("dickhead")

I've been following this thread on and off since its inception.

This thread was started to serve home brewers which is what every thread on a brewing forum should be about.

Politics has now entered the thread.*

For now though and to hopefully keep the original intentions and sentiments of this thread alive, I have arrogantly started a new thread...

2009 Chinese Hop Quality - A Satisfaction Poll

I think that if those of you who have received these hops, post to that thread, it will do the rest of us a real service.

Spot ya,
Pat

*It enters a lot of threads on AHB and because of this the underlying issue needs serious addressing, recognition and rectification. All of us need to really think how best this, "elephant in the room," can be most constructively dealt with.

Craftbrewer

stagga. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Snip> Darren there is a lot of credence in those statements, When has X done you a service for nothing ?I have been involved in these non profit hop bulk buys (Graham) from day one and all I get is shit from the X crew. I am happy to be singled out by the X because I know that eventually the X will be exposed for what he is.If they dont like it (non profit) then ..... off and stop post negative crap. Long live free brewing.
GB ( sorry in X's words my name is ("dickhead")

I normally ignore these "political" attacks but questions were asked...... Yes I've been involved in & actually run many a "non profit" bulk buy, Blickmann guns, grain & hops come to memory; infact it was having one of my bulk buys blocked (hops) that got me into the industry. I'm also in the current hop bulk buy & offered my equipment/ services free of charge to the packers.

The only negative comments posted (by myself) to date has been on the intial hop aroma & this is totally valid, It's my personnal assessment & that of many others.
I'm looking forward to trying the beers made with these hops & very hopeful the Marco Polo Summer ale about to be kegged in the shop will be excellent - But if it's not, I won't bullshit & try to pull the wool over peoples eyes. The hops & beers are available to ANYONE to come into our shop and trial & 3 of the most interesting varieties we have made available to purchase - surely can't do more than that.
I think it's very sad that some people can't accept honest feedback - cheap or free does not make a product good, if we all bought a lemon, live with it. If they turn out great, then fantastic, & I for one will be getting more.

Cheers Ross

Well f**k me did I / we really need your blessing to believe what was already indicated. I have sourced some of your hops but really you are starting / are giving me the f**king shits with your ranting. No I can't help it, I do like reading threads on AHB. Yep I know I am likely to now get shot down by some disciples but tuff.

BYB

I'm with you BYB. Shooting the messenger in degrading their knowledge/brewing ability using bullsh1t is poor form but that seems to be the way things are now on AHB, unfortunately. Ce Le Vive subjectivity.

Personally- I support Townsville's efforts, and I am quite grateful for the work that he has put into the buy. However I do not understand why he feels like he must go for the 'hard sell'. When anyone tries to say anything negative, Townsville gets very defensive and his wording comes across as arrogant. This serves to solidify divisions (and create hostility) rather than invite open debate and discussion. Why is this, Townsville? Surely you can just sit back and enjoy the good reviews if you are so confident the product is so good. Just as those who are bagging it before many beers are brewed are being far too premature, those praising it with the same lack of information are being premature as well (well, apart from the *one* person who has a chinese hop beer in his glass).

I will be brewing with my Chinese hops, and I will be posting honest thoughts as to how I think they are. If it's negative, then hey, I'll see it as a wearable expense to experiment with new hops. If it's positive, then hey, I win.

P&C I couldn't agree with you more! Let the brewers do what we do best! Brew good beer and evaluate these hops unbiased and without threat of recourse, maybe even be subjective and informative without the bullying tactics employed by those self interested parties.

Chappo

...but WHEN are we going to realise a disaggregation of the current malt "retailers" and see cheaper malt on the market.

For God Sake, bumper crops in WA, SA and Vic will result in more DUMPING (yes I mean dumping like excess milk) of malting quality barley and MALT...

:icon_offtopic: I suspect a lot of the grain in SA was downgraded from Malting Grade to Feed 1 Grade due to the last rains we had just before they were due to reap the barley. This seems to be the case for my brother-in-laws' folks and many nearby farms.

Cant speak for other states though.

(I still plan on getting some unmalted barley to try in a brew though at some stage!)

I'm with you BYB. Shooting the messenger in degrading their knowledge/brewing ability using bullsh1t is poor form but that seems to be the way things are now on AHB, unfortunately. Ce Le Vive subjectivity.

P&C I couldn't agree with you more! Let the brewers do what we do best! Brew good beer and evaluate these hops unbiased and without threat of recourse, maybe even be subjective and informative without the bullying tactics employed by those self interested parties.

Chappo

Agree with you on this Chappo I am waiting untill I have brewed with these hops and sampled the beers they produce before I enter the fray and express any opinion.

Cheers Altstart

:icon_offtopic: I suspect a lot of the grain in SA was downgraded from Malting Grade to Feed 1 Grade due to the last rains we had just before they were due to reap the barley. This seems to be the case for my brother-in-laws' folks and many nearby farms.

Cant speak for other states though.

(I still plan on getting some unmalted barley to try in a brew though at some stage!)

Same story in Vic.

I just wonder how hard it would be to do a National Grain Bulk Buy. It would definitely be semi-trailer loads driving the roads of the country. Cant you see it, with on the side of the truck, "to all dedicated Craftbrewers who want a fair price". A sight to behold

Might give it a go soon

Craftbrewer

LOL! You're a bad, bad man Sanders. How's your PM box looking. :D

Warren -

Just add on a small profit and retire in a few years with a couple of hot babes on your arms...

colonel-sanders-with-cheerleaders-s.jpg

Grain BB would be awesome to see... :super:

p.s. Graham you may need to look into getting a security detail... especially up there in QLD... :ph34r:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back