SS FV EOI

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mardoo said:
Interesting point by Masters from another thread:

Just to put it out there a 50L keg new from keg king will set you back $120 it has handles in built, soak with pbw, or sodium perk, star san and your done for cleaning, add $20 for the dip tube fitting, you then have the option of pressure fermenting
Yes, this is what I actually do and it works well -- so long as you can get comfortable with not being able to *see* whether it is clean or not. I'm not sure what he's referring to with the "$20 for the dip tube fitting". What is that? I'd love to set mine up to do closed transfers and/or pressurized fermenting but haven't yet gotten around to it. Primarily because I thought it was going to set me back a few hundred to go with one of these for each of my fermenters: http://www.brewershardware.com/American-Sanke-Keg-Fermenter-Kit-with-Thermowell.html

but if there is a cheaper option, I'd love to know about it...

Yob said:
Im aslo investigating some insulated vessel options with tap fitted so not sure which direction this'll go yet..
Why insulated? In a normal fridge setup that wouldn't help as the fermenting beer would warm up even more as the heat escapes the vessel slower, and vice versa the cold from the fridge has trouble getting into the vessel.

Unless you want to build glycol cooling into the insulation I don't see the point, or do you have something else in mind?

Just options at im looking into mate, nothing quoted as yet but is a very tidy looking unit. ofcourse, you can actually remove the "Fermenter" part from the 'jacket' if you wish I presume.

30L

1: Yob #2
2: Danwood #2
3: Mardoo #2
4: djar007 #2
5: davedoran #1
6: Mattress #2
7. Black n tan #1
8. Billygoat #2
9. mckenry #1 - what with the hashtag? r we tweeting this now??
10.Scooby #3
11. Camo6 #2 - subject to price yada yada
12. lynchman 2
13. Bridges 1 or 2 price dependant. (see page one of this thread!)
14. pat_00 1 or 2 depending on $$$
15. DJ_L3ThAL - 1 subject to price
16. OBWK 1 or 2 depending on $$$
17. Conjob 1 (depending on what we come up with)
Running total - 27

60L

1: Yob #1
2: Jez #1
3: djar007 #1
4: black n tan #2
5: mckenry 1
6: lynchman 1

Running total: 7

I'm interested for the right price/design.

30L

1: Yob #2
2: Danwood #2
3: Mardoo #2
4: djar007 #2
5: davedoran #1
6: Mattress #2
7. Black n tan #1
8. Billygoat #2
9. mckenry #1 - what with the hashtag? r we tweeting this now??
10.Scooby #3
11. Camo6 #2 - subject to price yada yada
12. lynchman 2
13. Bridges 1 or 2 price dependant. (see page one of this thread!)
14. pat_00 1 or 2 depending on $$$
15. DJ_L3ThAL - 1 subject to price
16. OBWK 1 or 2 depending on $$$
17. Conjob 1 (depending on what we come up with)
18. Verbyla (Subject to price)
Running total - 28

60L

1: Yob #1
2: Jez #1
3: djar007 #1
4: black n tan #2
5: mckenry 1
6: lynchman 1

Running total: 7

I'm interested for the right price/design.

I'm waiting on one of those milk pots and another pot from aliexpress to arrive... I'll report back when I see them in person (with photos! :) ) apart from that I haven't heard anything. Yob - did that pharma company in India respond at all?

What about that aussie company?

yeah, was looking forward to you receiving those pots. Seems like most photos from those milk pots have vanished from the ad.

I got a quote on those @ something like $50 ea CIF in a lot of 20. to Sydney. I asked for photos of the welds. I'll ask again.

Florian said:
yeah, was looking forward to you receiving those pots. Seems like most photos from those milk pots have vanished from the ad.
so am I ;) seriously... a bunch of other stuff I've ordered has come in... not the pots yet...

So far I'm not having much luck getting response from Ali Express suppliers. I'm thinking of contacting an agent who deals with Chinese suppliers. May make a few things clearer.

When talking to chinese suppliers, keep it simple. Don't use long sentences. No long winded explanations.

Straight to the point with the details you need.
If possible no more than 1 question per email. Keep remaining questions for subsequent emails.
Short emails. Be polite. Be professional.

Never had trouble getting replies when following this. In fact I find chinese suppliers are generally much quicker to respond than most others, often within minutes.

Agree. Short sentences, no idioms, to the point. And 1 question per message is a great piece of advice. Took me time to learn that.

Yep, with most other suppliers I have learnt that numbering your questions works wonders rather than scattering them around your explanations, but with most chinese I have found that this is a big turnoff and results in being ignored.

They don't mind sending 20 emails back and forth as long as they're all short and specific. If they offer a chat function on their website then use it and save the conversation afterwards for future reference. They love the chat and it's really efficient in nailing down those details in a short time frame.

Hey lael, apart from the milk bucket, which other vessel did you order? the 30L fermenter?

One thing I really like about a simple pot over something like the Mangrove Jacks fermenter (with a plastic base) or a cornie for that matter is that you can steam sterilise the whole thing, add a few litres of water and bring to boil on the stove or burner with the lid loosely on.

I just recently purchased 2 x 24 litre stainless stockpots for fermenters. I brew 18 litre batches and figured 24 litres would be sufficient (just). They can be picked up on ebay for around $120 delivered. So far I have used them twice and at this stage I am very happy with them. I was looking to get the Mangrove Jacks fermenters, but after waiting 2 weeks for a freight quote I purchased the stockpots. I am using cling wrap and a home made elastic band. I am expecting to do a few mods to them after a while, but I wont be putting valves in them to drain from. I am happy to siphon, as this is one less place to get an infection.
Very happy at this stage, and although I paid overs for them initially, I am really happy with the results.
Cheers
LB

Latest posts

Back