Spring Floods 2010

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FNQ Bunyip

Non Pro Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers , well what an interesting weather system I've watched from the comfort of office chair here in the far north .. Good too see somewhat of a return too rain and weather of old. God knows its been over dew for most of you lot in the south ....

Anyway just hopeing that you are all safe and well and have not got flooded brewerys after this event , stay safe , dont drive through flooded water ways and that you have beers to sit back and enjoy ...

Cheers

PS , got any good flood pics put em up , theres bugger all on the weather forum haha..

cheers bin bunyip

Ned...

I know west NSW is looking awsome with the recent flooding and rains, even the Nth Coast up here looks greener than it ever has

I just hope the locousts dont destroy all the crops

About time the farmers got a decent season.... its been 10yrs

There are places in NSW that are preping for flooding that have never flooded.. :)

Didnt quite flood but Angas Creek which runs through my backyard went from an idyllic little creek to a fast flowing river in a few hours again on Friday afternoon. Did the same thing last week.

These are the pics from last week showing the creek washing away our new landscaped area. We then spent most of last weekend fixing it and moved it up ~0.5m from where it was only for the creek to go higher still 4 days later! It was just touching the bridge you can see in the 2nd picture. Lost another 3 of the pine posts although i think i saw one wedged in a fence further down the creek this morning.....

I'm beginning to understand why no previous owner had ever done anything with that patch of land over the creek. It was a burn off spot when we bought the place 3 years ago.

creek.jpg

creek2.jpg

creek3.jpg

The reservoirs are now at 97% capacity according to this mornings news.

And yes, i realise that this 'creek' is a mere puddle compared to what parts of NSW and Victoria copped but it looked and sounded impressive nonetheless. :rolleyes:

The cost to engineer something to withstand those flows would be a fair whack to the back pocket mate, but happy to provide any advice I can.

Thats a lotta water!

Nice yard Dr S ,, 2 times in a week is unlucky , but its probly been a few years since its last flush and I'm sure your still chuffed too see it flow like that ..

cheers

Nice yard Dr S ,, 2 times in a week is unlucky , but its probly been a few years since its last flush and I'm sure your still chuffed too see it flow like that ..

cheers

Absolutely Bunyip!

One of the big selling points when we bought the place.

With the willows creating a nice canopy in summer it seemed like the perfect place for an entertaining area, even if it's a walk to the bar. Need to make a few changes on the weekend to ensure its well above the water line (now we know where the water line is).

(now we know where the water line is).

This time anyway... might want to give it a few extra feet just in case the next one is bigger.

Cheers
Dave

DrSmurto, where does Adelaide's water supply actually come from? A common misconception in the Eastern States seems to be that it comes from the Murray and hence "don't drink the water whilst in Adelaide, even the locals can't make tea or coffee from it" and this was my understanding until I joined AHB and shock horror the Adelaidians clearly make ripper brews.

DrSmurto, where does Adelaide's water supply actually come from? A common misconception in the Eastern States seems to be [...]
Another common misconception is that Adelaide has a water supply at all. We are currently all very confused at all this wet stuff falling from the sky.

There is an old fable about some of this wet stuff filling some of the big holes in the ground to be used for drinking and watering gardens. I believe these are known as reservoirs, presumably because these holes are reserved and not to be filled with any liquids. This must be why on the rare occasions that we have large concentrations of this odd wet substance that the gates are opened and the liquid allowed to flow out to sea, either on purpose... or by accident.

While Lord Mayor Michael Harbison yesterday admitted the putrid mudflats were an embarrassment [...], Premier Mike Rann said refilling the lake would be "stupid".
So, where do we get water for brewing? We take off a small proportion of the water we use so appropriately for growing regionally-suitable things like cotton and rice.

DrSmurto, where does Adelaide's water supply actually come from? A common misconception in the Eastern States seems to be that it comes from the Murray and hence "don't drink the water whilst in Adelaide, even the locals can't make tea or coffee from it" and this was my understanding until I joined AHB and shock horror the Adelaidians clearly make ripper brews.

The water in MY creek, ok, Angas Creek ends up in the river torrens which does flow into a number of reservoirs (Hope valley, Millbrook and Kagaroo Creek) and once full, as QB pointed out flows out to sea.

Stormwater collection is apparently too much of a health risk due to run off from roads collecting dangerous chemicals but runoff from faeces soaked paddocks are fine....... :chug:

In the last decade we have had well below average rainfall so have had to pump from the murray to supply the city - it is all treated so people who whinge about not being able to make tea or coffee either have nothing better to do than whinge or have no arms. You're right Bribie, the tap water is great for brewing.

Didnt quite flood but Angas Creek which runs through my backyard went from an idyllic little creek to a fast flowing river in a few hours again on Friday afternoon. Did the same thing last week.

These are the pics from last week showing the creek washing away our new landscaped area. We then spent most of last weekend fixing it and moved it up ~0.5m from where it was only for the creek to go higher still 4 days later! It was just touching the bridge you can see in the 2nd picture. Lost another 3 of the pine posts although i think i saw one wedged in a fence further down the creek this morning.....

I'm beginning to understand why no previous owner had ever done anything with that patch of land over the creek. It was a burn off spot when we bought the place 3 years ago.

View attachment 40579

View attachment 40580

View attachment 40581

The reservoirs are now at 97% capacity according to this mornings news.

And yes, i realise that this 'creek' is a mere puddle compared to what parts of NSW and Victoria copped but it looked and sounded impressive nonetheless. :rolleyes:

FFS

Look at these pics and raise the creek another metre. All the bark chips are gone. The bridge is underwater. The vegie patch was underwater so i don't hold out hope for the seedlings. I couldnt find any evidence of the tomatoes. The hops survived but the next storm front is now just rolling through so i expect them to be in trouble. The chooks could be in trouble but if i dont lock them up the foxes will get them - what's worse, drowning or having your head ripped off my a fox?

I had planned on fixing up the garden on the weekend but it was 38C so i piked. :huh:

The bar has a creek running through it so I feel the only solution is to drink all the beer before the fridges are underwater (yes, i have unplugged them) and disconnected the power.

Bloody QLD weather. <_< :lol:

It's summer, right?

Just East of the city... a couple of hours worth of rain ago...

Photo_Dec_07__6_19_31_PM.jpg

Sorry to hear about the damage DrSmurto - perhaps you shouldn't have planted so close to, I dunno, a river. I shouldn't poke fun - apparently my ceiling is doing a funny bulging thing that probably requires my attention.

It's summer, right?

Just East of the city... a couple of hours worth of rain ago...

View attachment 42666

Sorry to hear about the damage DrSmurto - perhaps you shouldn't have planted so close to, I dunno, a river. I shouldn't poke fun - apparently my ceiling is doing a funny bulging thing that probably requires my attention.

Fair call, i took on mother nature and she won.

This round...... :lol:

Time to build a Dam upstream mate B)

Boo to lost vege patch and bark chips!

My keg fridge apparently had to be turned off this afternoon due to rising floodwaters, plus there was water running in from an overflowed gutter across the ceiling and coming out of one of the downlights in the hallway. Not much I can do about it from over here in WA though.

holy molly Dr ,, bugger on all the damage .. lucky the out dorr setting stayed put ..

take care guys ...

cheers

Back