2010 Adelaide and Mildura Xmas Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonocarroll

uıɐbɐ ʞunɹp ɯ,ı
Reaction score
Do you live in or around Adelaide?
Do you like making beer?
You like meeting other brewers?

Maybe you'll be interested in having a 2010 AHB Xmas Case Swap! :beer:

For those of you who are uninitiated (or haven't seen the various other case swap threads) the general idea is as follows:

- 25 people each brew up a case worth of beer (24 long necks, around the size of a 'single batch') - preferably something you're proud of

- you bring your case of beers (plus any samplers you want to share around and consume on the night... or a keg) along to a BBQ at a venue yet to be decided (usually someone's ample backyard)

- the beers are distributed amongst the cases, such that everyone gets a mixed case containing one of each of the 24 other beers

- a great night ensues

- ???

- profit!

- over the following x days/weeks/hours you get to taste some of the best efforts of 24 of your fellow brewers, and (if you wish) provide tasting notes or feedback to them in a yet-to-be-created thread here on AHB, which may lead to praise, discussions, posting of the recipe, etc.

Historically, these are pretty great nights. You get to meet a lot of the local brewers, catch up with the ones you already know, taste some awesome beers and food, and if all goes well enough, catch some sleep on the couch/floor/dog's blanket.

This will be an AHB organised event. I am not the 'owner' of this event, just the instigator, and as such I will have no veto power in making decisions. All decisions regarding this event will be made publicly by those wishing to host/attend/participate via this thread. While all aspects are up for debate, I would personally like to encourage the following;

- that this event be open and inviting to all brewers (be they K&K/BIAB/AG/etc) with a sensible amount of "plus-one" guests,
- that people attempt to the best of their ability to submit a brew that they are proud of (i.e. no unfinished, untasted, or unpleasant-to-the-brewer-who-made-it beers),
- that if people are attending and drinking, that they arrange alternative arrangements to driving themselves (i.e. get dropped off/picked up, catch a taxi/bus, stay the night, drink less ( :eek: )),
- that this thread be kept more-or-less on topic (I will be requesting moderation if it gets way too far off-track).

These events have been run many times by other people, so the usual topics are bound to come up along with the important stuff like the date, time, and venue. These include:

- Longnecks or stubbies?
- Glass or plastic?
- Theme or no theme?
- North or South?
- Official or unofficial Label Contest?

Hopefully each of these can be dealt with simply and politely.

I'm not currently sure what the best way to keep track of participants is, but for now, how about a simple list: Copy and paste the list into a reply and add your username if you would like to attend (all subject to dates/availability/location/etc at this point).

Cheers everyone!!!

Interested in Attending:
--------------------------
1. QuantumBrewer

Sign me up. A great way to try new beers from fellow brewers. :icon_cheers:

Interested in Attending:
1. QuantumBrewer
2. raven19

Interested in Attending:
1. QuantumBrewer
2. raven19
3. Phillip

Sounds like super fun.

I'm in Adelaide every second weekend, if it falls on a weekend I'm in town, I'll be keen.

1. QuantumBrewer
2. raven19
3. Phillip
4. Kieren (date dependent)

1. QuantumBrewer
2. raven19
3. Phillip
5. pants

1. QuantumBrewer
2. raven19
3. Phillip
5. pants
6.Hatchy

I had a beer at brewboys with Jayse tonight & he sounded keen, if there was a way to type in pencil I'd pencil his name in here.

I also suggested to Mrs Hatchy that we could potentially have 25 brewers drinking here 1 day/night/morning over summer. If she didn't say no then that's a yes right?

Kieren, are yr weekends 6/11, 20/11, 4/12 & 18/12?

I'd suggest having this event on a weekend when he's in town so we all get to drink his beer.

I think 4/12 is the Adelaide test weekend so that one may be best avoided assuming that there's several brewers who like cricket.

1. QuantumBrewer
2. raven19
3. Phillip
5. pants
6.Hatchy

Kieren, are yr weekends 6/11, 20/11, 4/12 & 18/12?

I'd suggest having this event on a weekend when he's in town so we all get to drink his beer.

I think 4/12 is the Adelaide test weekend so that one may be best avoided assuming that there's several brewers who like cricket.

Yep, those weekends I'm in town and every second to and from those dates.

Do you reckon you can fit 25 people at your place, Hatchy?

Yep. Easy. Would have to do a pretty thorough tidy up to get rid of the rubbish that's everywhere but if tidy we can do it easy. As long as it's not 25 fat dudes. I'm pretty sure we can find a better venue but if not my place will do.

Yep. Easy. Would have to do a pretty thorough tidy up to get rid of the rubbish that's everywhere but if tidy we can do it easy. As long as it's not 25 fat dudes. I'm pretty sure we can find a better venue but if not my place will do.

Tis a slippery slope, and Hatchy is sliding fast to the dark side! :D B)

Re: OP - can I put forth my vote for glass longnecks (stubbies dont concern me that much) for the swap beer (rather than PETs).

Re: OP - can I put forth my vote for glass longnecks (stubbies dont concern me that much) for the swap beer (rather than PETs).
+1 on the glass/ no PETs

Sounds like a good chance to meet a few of the guys, I'm in but might also depend if I'm away working at the time. Where you at Hatchy? Maybe I shoulda startd a new column for fat dudes :unsure:

1. QuantumBrewer
2. raven19
3. Phillip
5. pants
6. Hatchy
7. DrSmurto
8. Glaab

Good to see a warm response so far, and even a consideration of venue.

+1 on the glass/ no PETs
This is my opinion also. Glass longnecks are (in my opinion) the most suitable. I'm sure if someone is short on stock that I and/or fellow brewers can help them out. I only mentioned it in case it was an issue for anyone.

With a few people on the list now - how about discussing whether or not we want a theme? I'm thinking there's enough diversity between brewers these days that forgoing a specific theme will result in wonderful variety, so I'm all for people bringing whichever beer they choose - Corona clones to RISs.

As for dates, it's good to book these things in early to avoid the xmas rush of work functions, so how about a Saturday night somewhere between early November and early December? This is of course dependent on availability of hosts, but the two go hand in hand.

Tis a slippery slope, and Hatchy is sliding fast to the dark side! :D B)

Yr a bad influence on me mate.

I've got 2 stacks of cartons of coopers longnecks which last night reached the ceiling, that doesn't include the full ones. Anyone who needs some bottles feel free to send me a PM. I'm at Marleston, just of Richmond rd, the central location is the main benefit of my place, not the acres of room.

Any of the weekends that Kieren is in town work for me.

If we could avoid the Adelaide Test Match weekend, and do the 'swap' after 6pm that would suit me ideally (due to daytime sport commitments).

Happy to have no theme, unless you want to make it a fancy dress party? :p

And no pink appendages. :ph34r:

I agree with the Adelaide test weekend & I'm happy with after 6.

1. QuantumBrewer
2. raven19
3. Phillip
5. pants
6. Hatchy
7. DrSmurto
8. Glaab
9. groucho

Would it be OK for a couple of ring-ins from Mildura to be in the swap?

In or around Adelaide it says right? I'd imagine the extent of "around Adelaide" would mean as far as yr willing to travel to get to Adelaide.

Latest posts

Back