SE QLD Xmas-in-28th of June 2014

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snow said:
Brad, don't you know the enjoyment of bottling is directly proportional to the amount of beer consumed!
OK, so numbers 1 through six are covered -your beer should be fine. 7 through 22 could have hints of pantera with late additions slayer followed by a touch of sex pistols and really bad karaoke at the end of the pallete

Christ, fellas, what's with this organisation? Don't most of us work out what kegs we have, frantically bottle the morning of the swap, and blend a keg or two of something 'experimental' to bring on the day....

No?

bradsbrew said:
My swap beers kegged, will bottle the day before the swap- **** I hate bottling.
So just as usual then...

- Brad tries to bottle three hours before the actual swap, using his new super duper bottling device, and ends up with 20L of beer all over the ceiling and the wife's car.
- Brad announces that he has 'some issues' but will leave shortly
- No one ever sees or hears from Brad again until 1am in the morning
- Brad turns up at the swap at 1am, trying to claim the last man standing title
- 1:30am: Brad is trashed and goes to "bed"
- 1:37am: Brad spews all over his "bed" and the surrounding areas
- 1:39am: Brad passes out
- 2:11am Scoundrelrogue draws penises in nikko all over Brad's face
- 2:14am Squire, Chappo (where are you?) and snow squat over Brad and fart
- 4:59am: Brad wakes up and leaves totally embarrassed, leaving a pool of vomit behind.
- three weeks later: Brad re-appears on AHB and pretends nothing's ever happened

angus_grant said:
So now many bottles are required? 22 cause that is the number of swappers?

I should get around 28 bottles so hopefully not an issue.
I would be very surprised if it's more than 18-19 on the day. There are a few on the list that haven't replied in months so...

Well I didn't get to brew on the weekend and I'm away this weekend so I guess my swap beer is locked in as the all Amarillo AIPA. It'll be ready to bottle on Sunday afternoon should I be f&*ked.

It's probably lacking a bit of the good resinous character I like but 100gm of dry hop should give it some balls :)

So maybe I'll have my next batch ready for drinking on the day...

STANDARD WARNING ABOUT USING 750ML PET BOTTLES (PLEASE KEEP THIS HERE).
1) Winkle, Apricot Sour.
2) Beersuit.
3) Benken25 - Rauchbier
4) Earle - smoked rye porter (swapping but won't be able to attend)
5) Bradsbrew - Chocpricot Mild Ale
6) Robv
7) Liam_snorkel - cherrywood rauchbier (probably)
8 ) lukiferj
9) Parks - I have 6 months to perfect an AIPA for this - you guys like AIPAs, right?
10) Daemon - Mocha Porter
11) Angus - beer
12) Jameson- scotch ale
13) ballantynebrew - Vintage Ale
14) TheCarbinator
15) NickB - probably something infected
16) Snow - "Batzlove" Imperial Witbier
17) Aydos - Blueberry and Black peppercorn Belgian stout.
18 ) Maxbroner
19) leahy268 - Will attempt to come in the swap again at the very least. - Not sure yet if I'll be able to come along though.
20) Donske - Rye Dark Mild
21) tazman1967 - Kraken Rum Oak Aged Stout
22) madpierre - If I may join the festivities, something beery and basic and depending on how future work roster holds up, for the moment I am in though

Attending (Not Swapping)
1) Gavo - Too lazy to swap
2) TidalPete -- Bringing a keg of my Chocolate Treacle Oatmeal Stout.
4) kegs23
5) Ross - Might be tied up with our brewery bar opening, but if not, I'm in.
6) Florian
7) Rowy (Clashes with another event but keen to attend) 30Pk XXXX Gold on ice and ready!

Swap beer updated

Florian said:
So just as usual then...- Brad tries to bottle three hours before the actual swap, using his new super duper bottling device, and ends up with 20L of beer all over the ceiling and the wife's car.- Brad announces that he has 'some issues' but will leave shortly- No one ever sees or hears from Brad again until 1am in the morning- Brad turns up at the swap at 1am, trying to claim the last man standing title- 1:30am: Brad is trashed and goes to "bed"- 1:37am: Brad spews all over his "bed" and the surrounding areas- 1:39am: Brad passes out- 2:11am Scoundrelrogue draws penises in nikko all over Brad's face- 2:14am Squire, Chappo (where are you?) and snow squat over Brad and fart- 4:59am: Brad wakes up and leaves totally embarrassed, leaving a pool of vomit behind.- three weeks later: Brad re-appears on AHB and pretends nothing's ever happened
Nailed it.

1) Winkle, Apricot Sour.
2) Beersuit.
3) Benken25 - Rauchbier
6) Robv
8 ) lukiferj
9) Parks - I have 6 months to perfect an AIPA for this - you guys like AIPAs, right?
11) Angus - dunkel weizen
12) Jameson- scotch ale
14) TheCarbinator
18 ) Maxbroner
19) leahy268 - Will attempt to come in the swap again at the very least. - Not sure yet if I'll be able to come along though.
22) madpierre - If I may join the festivities, something beery and basic and depending on how future work roster holds up, for the moment I am in though

Attending (Not Swapping)
4) kegs23
6) Florian
7) Rowy (Clashes with another event but keen to attend) 30Pk XXXX Gold on ice and ready!

Swap beer updated

Hit FG (currently 1011 but est. 1013). Will check gravity again tomorrow night and Wed. if stable, will cold crash for a couple of days to drop some of the yeast out and bottle Fri night. Tastes terrible out of the fermentor. :ph34r:

Ok, I did say something beery and basic. I am bottling proobably tomorrow arvo after work a kit 'n' bits Sparkling Ale. A quick taste test while checking FG today is a little tasty. I know it's only basic but I run on the theory (tested and semi-proven) that even instant coffee tastes orlright when made with love.

I have put the 28th down on the wish list at work for that day off.

And just as an aside, the story of the bottle that cannot be. A few weeks ago I picked up some bottle crates off TidalPete, and he tossed in a few empties as a bonus. I was moving them around the other day and one of the bottles felt about 700mls worth of beer heavier than the rest. A quick check with Pete revealed a leftover bottle from a batch he had brewed up in April 2010.

My (Pete's) version of Barry Cranston's Oscar Oktoberfest.
Hallertau Hersbruker subbed with Hallertau Mittelfrueh.
Tettnanger subbed with Saaz & 6.7% ABV.

Some nervousness pre-empted this description I have sent to Pete "A easy rush of gas when opening promised well, and a first tentative sip was more than I could have hoped for. A beautiful deep amber red, a nice 10mm head, and a taste not unlike the smoothest of stouts. I don't know what alcohol content it was, but there was a notticeable kick. A lovely drop mate". I've since reread the alcohol content. :ph34r:

The ship has sailed unfortunately, would have loved to share it at the get together.

1) Winkle, Apricot Sour.
2) Beersuit.
3) Benken25 - Rauchbier
6) Robv
8 ) lukiferj
9) Parks - Single hop Amarillo IPA
11) Angus - dunkel weizen
12) Jameson- scotch ale
14) TheCarbinator
18 ) Maxbroner

Attending (Not Swapping)
4) kegs23
6) Florian

Swap beer updated

I have the feeling my Rye dark mild will be neither mild or dark, at this point I'm going to label it as an English Red Rye Ale, well over shot gravity and Brewmates colour prediction was a fair way off, should be tasty enough though.

Historically milds went from low alcohol to about 6% - call it an Historic mild recreation.

29 dunkels presenting on parade ground.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400828420.429754.jpg

7 spares for quality analysis in 2-3 weeks.

Sweet Jesus, what a bloody mess left in the fermentor
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400828505.410877.jpg

Oh and first time I have ever bulk primed. With the amount of firsts in this brew I will be surprised if it turns out ok.

Oh and eeked a final glass out of the priming container. Couldn't bear to see it go to waste.
Tastes good to me. Nice lingering after-taste. Maybe a bit down on hops, but that might change once carb'd. No idea if it is to style or good. That's for you guys to judge. He he
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400828937.644161.jpg

Just to bring this thread back on topic, seems to be slipping somewhat.

Aguila-Beer-Girl.jpg

Can't be fussed typing this all over again so here's a copy & paste from an email sent to another brewer last week. You know who you are. :p
As you blokes already know I'm bringing a keg of this to the swap so good luck to your taste buds.

Spent over 24 hours keeping my double batch of Chocolate Treacle Oatmeal Stout from crawling out of the new (double fermenter) fridge & filling up the garage.

Made up two 1500ml starters from my last two tubes of 1275 Thames Valley (gen 0 & 20 months old), pitched into 1 x 30-litre fermenter & 1 x 27-litre fermenter (last available fermenter), aerated & went to bed.

Woke up to find that the blow-off tube on the smaller one was vastly inadequate with yeast & foam filling the 2-litre juice bottle & crawling out from around the thread of the lid as well before running down to join the mess made by the (clip on) lid of the 30-litre bugger (over 8 litres of head space) popping off under the pressure of fermentation & filling up the bottom of said fridge.

Well, at least I know the fridge seals work ok & that my starter technique is good. Will be farming gen 1 of this 1275 after kegging.
Not long now! :party:

Back