SE QLD AHB Xmas-in-July 16/07/2016

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what happens when you AHB sober and before coffee. I swear I didn't see one in the thread list...

Huge thanks to Perry and Anna for hosting such a fantastic evening.
Awesome lineup of beers on the night and a great bunch of blokes to be sharing them with.

I can't believe it's taken me so many years to attend my first swap

Who made the tasmanian wild ale. Angus? I really enjoyed that. Would definitely make that if i could get hold of the yeast.

Ciderman said:
Who made the tasmanian wild ale. Angus? I really enjoyed that. Would definitely make that if i could get hold of the yeast.

That was Angus. Was bloody delicious. Possibly my fav beer of the night

Ciderman said:
Who made the tasmanian wild ale. Angus?
Yep, Angus' Taswegian Wild Ale was awesome.

Really enjoyed your IIPA too mate, top notch.

Parks said:
BenKen's Imperial Porter Barley Wine Thing
I think I might have been poured half a glass of that one, have a faint memory of someone telling me it was a Barrel-aged Imperial Barleywine or something? Huge beer, so bloody good.

Bribie's Foreign Export Stout was also a stand-out beer for me, as was Kegs' Pomegranate Berlinner and Perry's Dark Mild.

I believe a few of us were also drinking Evoo4u's awesome unfiltered olive oil out of shot glasses at some point -- bloody tasty gear that still deserves an honourable mention despite not being beer!

Yep, guilty as charged. The tas ale was mine

I made an over-sized starter of the original yeast and have it sitting in a small jar in my fridge. I think I'll make another over-sized starter from that and vial it all. I owe SmokoMark a yeast as he provided the Scottish Ale yeast for my swap beer. And I think at some stage during the night he asked me for some of the yeast
. :beerbang: :beer: :blink:

I have asked the yeast guys about whether that yeast should throw a pellicle. If not, I have a very stubborn infection in one of my fermentors and will probably never be able to replicate that beer again. And neither will anyone else. ha ha....

I'm happy to do up a few vials for trading. But bear in mind I've only just started keeping yeasts, reculturing, etc, etc so no warranty provided. :D

And I don't want to do too many vials as the Tas yeasts guys have been really helpful and are starting out a new business so I don't want to steal sales from them by handing this stuff out for free. They are out of stock on the particular yeast I used, otherwise I would tell everyone to buy directly from them. :)

http://taswildyeasts.xyz/
Have a look. A few of the sour guys may want to look at the noire yeast when it is back in stock. Apparently their first captured yeast which throws full sour flavours as opposed to the wild ale characteristics of mine. I've got one at home but not used it yet, so can't comment.

1 - Mark
2 - Ciderman (also spoke to on the night about giving yeast)
3 -
4 -
5 -

Much appreciated Angus. Memory is hazy so sorry if i already asked. What yeast variety was it, hartz mountain?

Im down in tassie later in the year so will have to check them out.

A few guys were interested in my FES recipe, so I'll post it here as it wasn't actually in the swap.

I got some wisdom from Brewing Radio (possibly Brew Strong) that when making stouts a lot of brewers make the mistake of just throwing a heap of roast barley at some base malt without having anything in between to add complexity of flavours and textures.

There's Bairds Pearl malt in the recipe, but Maris Otter etc etc would be equivalent. Also note the Carapils that helps to smooth it out and contribute towards the rich creamy head.
My elderly smack pack of Wyeast Irish Ale was taking too long to start so I chucked in a pack of Mangrove Jack's M42 New World Strong Ale, formerly Northern English Brown, and it was done and dusted in a week, bottled in ten days.
This will now be my go to yeast for stouts.

2016 FES
Foreign Extra Stout

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 15.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.900
Total Hops (g): 24.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.073 (°P): 17.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.018 (°P): 4.6
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 7.17 %
Colour (SRM): 50.2 (EBC): 98.9
Bitterness (IBU): 47.8 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 74
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
3.500 kg Pearl Malt (71.43%)
0.600 kg Roasted Barley (12.24%)
0.300 kg Crystal 60 TF Medium Crystal (6.12%)
0.250 kg Carapils (Dextrine) (5.1%)
0.250 kg Flaked Barley (5.1%)

Hop Bill
----------------
24.0 g Dr Rudi (Super Alpha) Pellet (12.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.6 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
Burtonised with Gypsum and Epsom Salts.

Single step Infusion at 67°C for 90 Minutes.
Fermented at 18°C with Mangrove Jacks M42 New World Strong Ale

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Edit: note this is a 15L batch that I do for bottled batches (comps etc). . scale up accordingly for your regular brew sizes.

Bribie G said:
A few guys were interested in my FES recipe, so I'll post it here as it wasn't actually in the swap.
Legend, thanks Bribie!

Thanks Perry and Anna for being such great hosts again.
And thanks everyone else for still being there when I left, earliest departure from Perry's yet!
PS large grey jacket with fake wool looking crap inside is mine Perry.
Will collect at some point.

Thanks as always to Perry and Anna for being such great hosts
Some great beers with some great guys.
Cant wait til the Xmas swap.

thanks for being great hosts once again anna and winkle, , past out early but woke up feeling pretty good, at least with the rain it was a nice warm night in the car, thanks smokeo mark for the 1am wake up shakeing the van, still got about 3L of pommergrate sour to enjoy over the few weeks, cheers everobe for a good night and hope to see everyone at the sweat barth that is the summer swap

Just arrived home (no - I didn't lose my way!!!) from a family reunion at Mooloolaba on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday (missed out on the Saturday due to priorities!), and this is my first chance to thank Anna & Perry for their warm hospitality, and to all the other guys for making my first beer-swap such a memorable night.
And if you don't get any more cool winter nights, I'm stuffed if I know what you're gunna do with all that olive wood...
Cheers
Roger

I'd love to have some oil please! My family will love it. I've never had anything like it

Say that again...

1469004305038.jpg

Hahah I've got edit regret!. My fish and chips order was called and I didn't post, came back and finished the edit to a freakin' gun!

Latest posts

Back