2016 Qld xmas in july case swap tasting thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a couple of bottles of my swap beer over the weekend, she's good to go imo :)

Also, Aydos sour barrel porter was great, i really enjoyed that one mate.
Perrys areola sour LOL, great beer mate, subdued fruitiness from the acerola, supported by malt and some lactic twang. 12b was unfortunately off for me, tasted as if it had been fermented hot and/ or stressed yeast due to too low a pitch rate.
I really enjoyed trying the barrel beers, great to see what the barrel contributed to the different styles of beer :)

10. Ciderman - Gingerbread Brown Ale 6.0% 35ibu. Bottled 21st May. Ready.

This is great. It's like a gingernut biscuit in a bottle of beer. Good stuff.

earle said:
21. Robv - Dark Mild 3% , only bottled this week, give it 2 weeks

14. Dan Barrington - Chilli Brown Ale/ Porter (Drink now, poor carefully)

Wasn't looking forward to this one. Anyone who knows about some of the Too SOBA guys and their chillies would know why. But boy I was wrong. Great dark ale/porter with some solid chilli heat which is not over the top. Good dark ale flavour up front followed through with the chilli heat. Good one Dan. You've earned those hugs that you stole as I was leaving the case swap.
Cheer Earle!

earle said:
10. Ciderman - Gingerbread Brown Ale 6.0% 35ibu. Bottled 21st May. Ready.

This is great. It's like a gingernut biscuit in a bottle of beer. Good stuff.
Awww, I just want to go build gingerbread house.

4. Madpierre06 black ipa

I did have a fire going today but got a fair bit of smoke in this. Didnt get alot of rye but was quite enjoyable. Perhaps a touch light on the hops (for the style) but you've hidden the alcohol quite well.

Good beer!

1469955562218.jpg

9. Seehuusen - Resch Extra Stout with Brett

I'm sure this is a great beer but i can't get past the brett on occasion. Sorry!

1469955933600.jpg

6. Lukiferj rye hard smoky

Certainly getting the rye which explains the cloudiness. Sweet but without any hop dominance. Carbonation lacking perhaps.

Its a good beer but It's just missing something. Not sure what it is but just leaves me wanting more.

1469957343973.jpg

Ciderman said:
6. Lukiferj rye hard smoky

Carbonation lacking perhaps.
pretty sure he said leave it another week for it to carb up, but also to let any hop presence there may have been left to really dissipate away to nothing.

Ciderman said:
4. Madpierre06 black ipa

I did have a fire going today but got a fair bit of smoke in this. Didnt get alot of rye but was quite enjoyable. Perhaps a touch light on the hops (for the style) but you've hidden the alcohol quite well.

Good beer!
Cheers mate. Not sure what happened with the hops, all up there were additions of 16g, 62g, 110g during the boil, then 120g dry hopped. Amarillo and Citra.

Shared a couple of great beers with the missus tonight:

2-earlefarmhouse.jpg
Earle you've done it again. A beautiful, complex and quaffable beer. Slighly smokey, spicy, apricot and stale aroma and the flavour and mouthfeel is soft, mildly spicy/peppery, slightly sour with malt still coming through and a lovely, soft bitterness. A sexy beer which the missus loved - top job

This was definitely a Wee Heavy - not a dubbel. Clear, amber and fairly low carbonation. Smell was just dripping with sexy melanoidens and toffee, and the flavour was the same with burned sweet roast barley flavour in there and some dark fruits. Packed full of malty melanoidens. Great example of the style and chock-a-block full of flavour. Great beer Angus - the missus loved this one too. :)

If the beer isn't packed full of flavour it's a thumbs down from the missus and both got solid marks - nice job boys.

10. Ciderman - Gingerbread Brown Ale

A lovely brown ale. Gentle carbonation, small but long-lasting head, great lacing on the glass. Lovely gentle choc flavours.

The ginger is present in aroma and taste. I don't actuality like ginger as a flavour and this beer is close to my threshold of ginger. It blends well with the brown ale flavours.

Nicely done. Lovely when warmed up.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1469959850.858827.jpg

21. Robv - Dark Mild 3%
Deep ruby colour, very clear & lacing well. Super smooth, malty and delicious. Would smash pints of it.
What yeast did you use? So flocculant

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1469960985.039504.jpg

radshoes said:
pretty sure he said leave it another week for it to carb up, but also to let any hop presence there may have been left to really dissipate away to nothing.
Ah... missed that. Thought it was good to go. Only have 2 of 24 beers left... it's been a great ride.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
I'm sorry gents for the 12B recipients. It's not great form. I pushed this yeast a bit hard to get it to throw esters and it threw green apple instead.
I won't hold it against you mate

18. Bribie malt liquor

This is a beast. Thick persistent head after 30 mins in the glass. Looks like a session lager, smells like Christmas cake.

I feek like I'm eating a beer the flavour is so full and intense. Delicious.

1469962634713.jpg

11. Fattox smoked stout

Pacman head. To be honest i drank this last week. Loved it but can't remember much else.

1469965198610.jpg

Ciderman said:
Ah... missed that. Thought it was good to go. Only have 2 of 24 beers left... it's been a great ride.
I still have two from last July!

Adr_0 said:
Shared a couple of great beers with the missus tonight:

attachicon.gif
2-earlefarmhouse.jpg
Earle you've done it again. A beautiful, complex and quaffable beer. Slighly smokey, spicy, apricot and stale aroma and the flavour and mouthfeel is soft, mildly spicy/peppery, slightly sour with malt still coming through and a lovely, soft bitterness. A sexy beer which the missus loved - top job
Cheers for the great descriptive review.

I'm recording an interview with ABC radio tomorrow about this beer, brewing and Brewoomba. Does anyone who's tasted it have any food pairing suggestions for it? I can also give suggestions for the music they'll play around the interview as well if anyone has any suggestions.

Latest posts

Back