2016 Qld xmas in july case swap tasting thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
earle said:
Cheers for the great descriptive review.

I'm recording an interview with ABC radio tomorrow about this beer, brewing and Brewoomba. Does anyone who's tasted it have any food pairing suggestions for it? I can also give suggestions for the music they'll play around the interview as well if anyone has any suggestions.
Salty seafood mate. crab cake delicacies...had this yesterday, very delicate, spicy balance, the farmhouse kicked in as it warmed up. Loved it!!!

earle said:

I'm recording an interview with ABC radio tomorrow about this beer, brewing and Brewoomba. Does anyone who's tasted it have any food pairing suggestions for it? I can also give suggestions for the music they'll play around the interview as well if anyone has any suggestions.
As Allan said, seafood e.g. orange/lemon and chilli prawns, calamari, sashimi/wasabi or wasabi oysters. I think pizza (Mediterranean), bruscetta would work well too - e.g. breads that utilise yeast.

For music, I would say F#$king Hostile by Pantera, or some Lionel Ritchie...

13. NickB - AIPA - drink as fresh as ****... Like yesterday. (approx 5.7% ABV)

Delicious....not as 'out there' as I was expecting, very well balanced, fruity, aromatic. No piccies for this one.

21. Robv - Dark Mild 3% , only bottled this week, give it 2 weeks

So easy to drink, malty, clear deep ruby red as posted else where. Piccie No. 2.

18. Bribie G - Midnight Train American Malt Liquor, y'all. Ready to drink, consult Doctor if pain persists.

Honestly, this was too sweet for me, not sure what I was looking for to be honest. Piccie No. 1.

11. Fattox - cherrywood smoked foreign extra stout - READY NOW

Stunning!!! Silky smooth mouth feel, creaminess, smokiness sits back nicely and balances against a subtle cherry tang through the stout base. I'd be throwing shekels at this all season long. My favourite so far.

8. Parks - Shiraz Barrel-aged RIS 9.4% ABV - READY NOW

Lovelt big arse kicker of a beer, the shiraz character is very obvious without overwhelming what is just a belter of a beer.

IMG_0450.JPG

IMG_0453.JPG

IMG_0451.JPG

IMG_0457.JPG

Good to see the Starsan out for the glasses!

Adr_0 said:
Good to see the Starsan out for the glasses!
Nah, I got commercial line cleaner for my glasses...Starsan is just for my brew gear. I was planning on finishing off the day;s brewing/drinking with your wheat doppelbock mate, common sense determined otherwise. I'd a bin a flogged out mess on the floor had I done so. Wednesday arvo with French Saison brew session it is.

earle said:

Definitely seafood or something Asian/ sushi maybe. As for music. Anything by TISM should do the trick

Madpierre, I did a recalc of the Malt Liquo' and it's about 9.6% ABV, if you grab a can of Bavaria 8.6 or Carlsberg Special you also get that overpowering syrupy sweetness from the alcohol. Keep away from naked flame :D

4. Madpierre06 black ipa

Lovely hit of hops upon opening bottle.

Aroma in glass was much the same as the bottle. Lovely aroma of those US fruits hops.

I felt like it needed a bit more bitterness in the flavour. All that lovely aroma just needed a bit more bitterness punch to balance out.

A really nice beer and is just building my urge to brew another ipa.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1470046136.709938.jpg

Bribie G said:
Madpierre, I did a recalc of the Malt Liquo' and it's about 9.6% ABV, if you grab a can of Bavaria 8.6 or Carlsberg Special you also get that overpowering syrupy sweetness from the alcohol. Keep away from naked flame :D
Thjanksfull I no longer smoke.

angus_grant said:
4. Madpierre06 black ipa

Lovely hit of hops upon opening bottle.

Aroma in glass was much the same as the bottle. Lovely aroma of those US fruits hops.

I felt like it needed a bit more bitterness in the flavour. All that lovely aroma just needed a bit more bitterness punch to balance out.

A really nice beer and is just building my urge to brew another ipa.

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1470046136.709938.jpg
Will take note of that, was happy with how it turned out otherwise.

earle said:
21. Robv - Dark Mild 3% , only bottled this week, give it 2 weeks

Just a fantastic beer. Great flavour with a bit of roast. Wouldn't know it was just 3% from the taste. Could definitely get stuck into heap of this.

14. Dan Barrington - Chilli Brown Ale/ Porter (Drink now, poor carefully)

Wasn't looking forward to this one. Anyone who knows about some of the Too SOBA guys and their chillies would know why. But boy I was wrong. Great dark ale/porter with some solid chilli heat which is not over the top. Good dark ale flavour up front followed through with the chilli heat. Good one Dan. You've earned those hugs that you stole as I was leaving the case swap.
Cheers Earle

5. Motabika - Lichtenhainer.

Absolutely nailed the style. Slight smokiness in aroma and slightly more so in after-taste.

Really lovely beer. The lactic sourness is really enjoyable. A good solid hit.

Whoever picked the sauerkraut did very well. Perfect description. Wish I had a big German sausage with sauerkraut and mustard to gobble down.

View attachment 90384

View attachment 90385

5. Motabika - Lichtenhainer.

Absolutely nailed the style. Slight smokiness in aroma and slightly more so in after-taste.

Really lovely beer. The lactic sourness is really enjoyable. A good solid hit.

Whoever picked the sauerkraut did very well. Perfect description. Wish I had a big German sausage with sauerkraut and mustard to gobble down.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1470124413.946280.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1470124428.650743.jpg

Cracked an unbleached but waxed saison tonight - 23.

Smells of slight orange, lemon and lime and mild capsicum and presents a nice clear, pale straw colour. Soft, sweet bready malt really dominates the flavour with some slight orange again, but it's missing some of the peppery funk of the DuPont. Overall a lovely dry, refreshing saison - nicely done.

I should say, with the yeast in from the last bits of the bottle it becomes softer and more of the orange/lemon/lime comes through. Very nice indeed.

Ha ha, this is cool. The tap decal for my beer at Brewoomba this weekend. Its the same beer as I put in the swap but brewed by Fortitude for the festival. Recorded an interview this morning which should be on ABC Southern Qld on Wednesday morning between 10 and 10.30am.

med_gallery_7015_1311_674463.png

Back