2016 Qld xmas in july case swap tasting thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Busted open a No. 9 tonight.

Smelled rummy - slight peachy./apricot fruit but rum was dominant in the aroma with some dark caramel.
Fruity chocolate and dark caramel come through in the flavour with a nice rummy finish. Slightly spritzy, but medium-full mouthfeel which was great. Only gripe is the head didn't last as I would have liked, but it was probably the glasses - need more discipline on the Starsan rinse. Top beer Martin!

Drinking no 9 now. Brett on the nose. Head is almost non existent. The brett doesn't really follow through in the flavour. Tastes like a good sessionable stout.

14 - Dan Barrington Chilli Porter

Finding this pretty delicious. The chilli isn't overpowering heat wise but certainly takes front seat flavour wise.

It eventually fades but still hides alot of the typical malt flavours you would expect in a porter. Not saying thats a bad thing either. You've done a good job. Best chilli beer I've had.

1469606800416.jpg

11 grubs smoked foreign extra stout. Good head and black as black. Nice sweet malt on the nose. Flavours of roast and a really woody smoke (not bacon or meaty) decent beer mate you sort of know smoke

Ciderman said:

Best chilli beer I've had.
Was the second best chilli beer you had one that you shouldn't put your wang in?

Parks said:
Was the second best chilli beer you had one that you shouldn't put your wang in?
I had thought about the finger test but the head was insufficient in this beer haha

Thanks man. Appreciate the feedback! Glad you enjoyed it.
Ciderman said:

Finding this pretty delicious. The chilli isn't overpowering heat wise but certainly takes front seat flavour wise.

It eventually fades but still hides alot of the typical malt flavours you would expect in a porter. Not saying thats a bad thing either. You've done a good job. Best chilli beer I've had.

Parks said:
12. Lord Raja Goomba I - AIPA (A) or American Standard Bitter ( B) - both bottled 03.07.2016 - ready 25.07 but if you're desparate, probably okay to have now, just undercarbonated
AKA Swap Water.
If this is swap water I'll nude up and jump right in! Great AIPA. Big passionfruit and stonefruit. Mosaic?
Anyway, I couldn't tell what you were worried about until I saw what had settled in the bottle [emoji13]
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1469514191.197676.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1469514206.368345.jpg
Thanks Parkes and madpierre06, those bottles were a saving grace because the majority of the worse crap, hop matter and yeast tends to settle in the feet of the plastic bottles.

Man I panicked, it wasn't my best beer but it settled into an adequate AIPA.

Mosaic, cascade, Simcoe all cube hopped went into it, with a 6g per litre dry hop of cascade for 4 days after fermentation had practically stopped.

Winkle - W3031 Arserola Tarwe

I got big wafts of that somewhat familiar dank brett old fruit smell upon opening and pouring. The intensity fades a little but hangs around. :)

Getting some slightly acidic flavours and old dark fruit flavours. Slightly "sour" but that's not the right word. I looked up what an acerola was at this stage and it fits what I'm tasting.

Nothing in the taste says 7%. Very well hidden. Classic Perry.

As always Perry, intriguing and off-kilter beer. Enjoying it even more as it warms up.

Gets more and more "bretty" the warmer it gets. So drink it fast and cold, or let it warm up and embrace the funk!!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1469620086.902793.jpg

Ciderman said:
23 - Rokaxe Chilli Saison

Didn't get a picture of the beer itself. I lost a few nose hairs on the aroma. Dipped my finger into the foam and had a taste. This is seriously hot.

I enjoyed a couple of sips but it was too hot for me. A chilli loving mate had the rest and he claimed it was relatively mild.

Maybe put more chilli in the next one...
I didn't put a butthole on the label for nothing lololololol

8. Parks Shiraz Barrel Imperial Stout

It felt like an imperial kind of day so i tucked into this earlier.

The aroma is very fruity. The big wine flavour certainly contributes to the beer. Perhaps i have slight regret not using my barrel for a RIS before i infected it with a lambic.

This is quite luxurious. A beer for kings.

1469700548993.jpg

24 - adr0 Wheat Dopplebock

Nice work. Colour speaks for itself. Certainly clearer than what you would usually get.

Banana bread and caramel first then dark fruits in the background. Head retention till last sip. Alcohol well hidden.

I suspect you will be rewarded with greater malt profile should you age it but its drinking pretty well now.

Top effort

1469774878791.jpg

Thanks man. I'm still undecided whether drinking now or ageing is best. Being a wheat beer it can remain 'bright' at the moment but as you said the malt flavours may came through with age. Drinking now is as I intended but if you want more chocolate and dark fruits, wait?

7. Liam Snorkel - Black Brett IPA

Brett does usually scare me. So when announced with the word monolith, i was slightly fearful.

Its typical of a black IPA. Bitterness is solid. No obvious hops aroma as you would expect with the age but it has retained the fruitiness.

The brett is there but it's background noise.

Nice beer.

1469784693323.jpg

18. Bribie G - Midnight Train American Malt Liquor.

I decided I'd Choo Choo choose this one to drink tonight.

This is bloody grey Bribie, unless I knew I would not pick this as 9% so smooth.

Well doneView attachment 90292

20. Aydos -9.1% abv Sour imperial barrel aged stout
Aroma is woody with some funky red wine, taste follows with some astringency and then roast. Finishes with more of the wood. As far as infections go this is pretty damn tasty. Would pay for it
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1469792823.352915.jpg

14 — As others have said, Dan's Chilli Nelson is great. The chilli appears in a nice background that remains smooth and fades gently, over lovely chocolate. It builds more with more amorous imbibing.

Appearance and texture was great. I enjoyed this in a short glass so that I could comfortably reach the head...

Overall a really well done, nicely balanced beer - top marks.

Updated:

1. Winkle - W3031 Acerola Tarwe 7.5 abv drink now mofos.
2. Earle - Smoked Rye Farmhouse Ale - ready to drink now
3. Brewkid - Biere De Garde
4. madpierre06 - Black Rye IPA 7.8%ABV - Ready to drink, thanks to carbonation friendly weather.
6. lukiferj - Rye Hard with a Bitty Smoke (only bottled 14/7 so will need about 3 weeks to carb up)
7. Liam_snorkel - Black Brett IPA - aged 1 year - approx 7.1% ABV - READY NOW
8. Parks - Shiraz Barrel-aged RIS 9.4% ABV - READY NOW
9. Seehuusen - Resch Extra Stout - with brett - READY NOW (or age it)
10. Ciderman - Gingerbread Brown Ale 6.0% 35ibu. Bottled 21st May. Ready.
11. Fattox - cherrywood smoked foreign extra stout - READY NOW
12. Lord Raja Goomba I - AIPA (A) or American Standard Bitter 12B - both ready to drink.
13. NickB - AIPA - drink as fresh as ****... Like yesterday. (approx 5.7% ABV)
14. Dan Barrington - Chilli Brown Ale/ Porter (Drink now, poor carefully)
15. Radshoes - infected saison - bottled straight from the barrel last night so do not drink until the 30th of July at least.
16. evoo4u - probably a Baltic Porter (will be winter after all)
17. Natdene - Dark/Black Ale...5.4% bottled 8/7....drink from say 7th August,
18. Bribie G - Midnight Train American Malt Liquor, y'all. Ready to drink, consult Doctor if pain persists.
19. Angus - "pick a windae" wee heavy 6.5% - Ready to drink
20. Aydos -9.1% abv Sour imperial barrel aged stout and a keg hopped IPA (READY TO DRINK)
21. Robv - Dark Mild 3% , only bottled this week, give it 2 weeks
22. Benken25. Brewers breaky porter(smoked oatmeal porter with coffee and licorice 6.8%) Ready to drink
23. rokaxe - "Hellfire" Chilli Saison: 4.9% ABV, 27.5 IBU, 8,000,000 scoville - READY TO DRINK.
24. Adr0 - Wheat dopplebock - 8.3%. Drink anytime from now to the next month or two. No real rush. It's presenting exactly as I wanted in look and texture and it should present very different flavours as it gradually warms - hope everyone likes wheat.

Also:

1. Winkle - W3031 Acerola Tarwe

Delicious...all that needs to be said.

Latest posts

Back