2016 NSW Mid Year Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed mine today. Must have run the drill too fast as I had a stuck mash and sparge. Not the end of the world, didn't seem to affect efficiency, but it slowed down the brew day. Post sparge went fine and it smelt and looked great.

About time i decided on a recipe and got cracking!

1 pratty1 - Chocolate Vanilla Porter - US05 yeast
2 contrarian - wet hopped IIPA
3 barls - belgian dark strong/ dubbel ( its too strong to be a dubbel and on the bottom end of a dark strong.)
4 mikeyr - John West IPA V12 - 12 months refinement and it can now strip paint!
5 paulyman - Tooths 1917 Crystal Ale (Pg 281 Bronzed Brews)
6 n87 - likely IPA of some sort
7 Reman - Rye Bock
8 DJR - Kolsch (Plan B is some kind of big pale ale)
9 welly2 - Oatmeal Stout
10 Josh - Red IPA
11 marksy - India Pale Lager
12 shacked - Belgian pale ale - WLP530
13 Cortez - Oaked Strong Ale
14 Gr390ry - Red Rye IPA
15 mattfos01 - Belgian Golden Strong WLP570 Belgian Golden Ale yeast
16 Waggastew - Schwarzbier (Gordon Strong - Modern HB Recipes)
17 Les the Weizguy - something to showcase the Munich Lager II yeast [PC - W2352] - Kellerbier (o.g. 1.053)
18 Clayton
19 yum beer - Arrogant ******* attempted clone
20 Fatgodzilla - Woolies Homebrand lager,kg of Homebrand sugar and yeast cultivated from my beard
21 Peter80
22 Gone Brewing - Dubbel
23 n87 - Oaked Baltic Porter - W-34/70

barls said:
bottled mine today and its big and black just like fatz like things.

So wanted to post a photo of something big and black, but being an ex-sailor I didn't want to excite you!

Just about to lager my black beauty for a month. Looking/smelling/tasting good at this stage. Still got the woollies home brand on standby .............

Just re reading this thread. We going to Turramurra or Top Ryde?

Where or what is Turramurra?

Okay, just googled it. Looks easy enough. Why anyone would want to live north of Moruya has got me buggered any way

(note to self .. don't mention buggery to Barls .. sailors ...... :blink: )

Turramurra ....... means place of too many trees. Ah shit its my place......

Moruya...thats like south of "the shire"... is that the place of the extra hairy hobbits??

Bottling the ipa tomorrow, spent the morning playing with an imperial, cold cubing while i spin up a yeast. Gravity nudging 1.12.......oh crap!

Kellerbier is close to final gravity. Is now 1.013 and 5.2% abv. Bottle in a week or two, being a lager, time to lager it.

Have a starter on the stir plate for my IPA and will pitch today if everything is going as expected. Starter is of the same wort and is smelling fantastic, hopefully that's a good sign!

Got my Choc Vanilla Porter bottled on Wednesday night. What a tedious task bottling is....anyway I used my other FV as the bottling bucket and added 26g of dextrose to 200mls of boiled water. That should get a low carbonation of around 1.8vols.

WP_20160420_005.jpg

WP_20160420_009.jpg

WP_20160420_007.jpg

Chocolate aroma is definitely achieved.

Fatgodzilla said:
So wanted to post a photo of something big and black, but being an ex-sailor I didn't want to excite you!

Just about to lager my black beauty for a month. Looking/smelling/tasting good at this stage. Still got the woollies home brand on standby .............
ohhh was it something from your personal collection then.

Hey barls, zoom into my bottled line up and your little dog brewery label is there from last years swap.

Pratty1 said:
Hey barls, zoom into my bottled line up and your little dog brewery label is there from last years swap.
nice probably won't be labels this year. need to get more made

Its seems I spoke to soon about being happy that I got the beer in the bottle safely.........AARRRGGGHH!

Got home from a week away and have just gone to box them up. One of the (BTW brand new) bottles must have had a fault in it near the bottom, resulted in a pin hole size chunk of glass coming out once carbed. I thought that there seemed to be a strong smell of beer in the garage! Currently madly disinfecting my wooden bench which has turned into a 1m patch of weird yeast breeding ground. Lucky my next brew is a Flanders Red!

Oh well, one bottle down leaves me 23. Looks like I won't get to try a bottle of my own although I do have some on tap. Will be handling the remainder with kid gloves

Got my Belgian pale ale into the bottle this arvo (with the help of my brother in law). I'd forgotten the 'joys' of bottling!!!

Really simple recipe adapted from brewing classic styles:

91% castle pilsner
6% caramunich II
3% castle biscuit

Styrians at 60m (26IBU) and cube (3IBU).

Second gen WLP530 pitched at 17, to 18, then slowly to 20 before cold crashing.

OG: 1.053, FG: 1.010, ABV: 5.6%. Bulk primed to 2.6 vols.

I hope y'all enjoy it!

barls said:
ohhh was it something from your personal collection then.

Nothing but the best for you me old matey ....... :)

Mikeyr said:
Moruya...thats like south of "the shire"... is that the place of the extra hairy hobbits??

more Shires down here than you can poke a fairy wand at. That one in Sydney is for wimps. Looking forward to the day at your place Mike. Hope the neighbours are ready for it !!! and me. :D

[SIZE=10.5pt]Going for something like Hobgoblin.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Also something has come up and I will not be able to make the Saturday meet so is it ok to drop off the day before?[/SIZE]

1 pratty1 - Chocolate Vanilla Porter - US05 yeast
2 contrarian - wet hopped IIPA
3 barls - belgian dark strong/ dubbel ( its too strong to be a dubbel and on the bottom end of a dark strong.)
4 mikeyr - John West IPA V12 - 12 months refinement and it can now strip paint!
5 paulyman - Tooths 1917 Crystal Ale (Pg 281 Bronzed Brews)
6 n87 - likely IPA of some sort
7 Reman - Rye Bock
8 DJR - Kolsch (Plan B is some kind of big pale ale)
9 welly2 - Oatmeal Stout
10 Josh - Red IPA
11 marksy - India Pale Lager
12 shacked - Belgian pale ale - WLP530
13 Cortez - Oaked Strong Ale
14 Gr390ry - Red Rye IPA
15 mattfos01 - Belgian Golden Strong WLP570 Belgian Golden Ale yeast
16 Waggastew - Schwarzbier (Gordon Strong - Modern HB Recipes)
17 Les the Weizguy - something to showcase the Munich Lager II yeast [PC - W2352] - Kellerbier (o.g. 1.053)
18 Clayton
19 yum beer - Arrogant ******* attempted clone
20 Fatgodzilla - Woolies Homebrand lager,kg of Homebrand sugar and yeast cultivated from my beard
21 Peter80 - Hobgoblinish clone West Yorkshire 1469
22 Gone Brewing - Dubbel
23 n87 - Oaked Baltic Porter - W-34/70

My IPL is under way. I`m still not sure if I should force carb or carb in bottles.

ONE MONTH TO GO!

Right kids, a bit of an update .... we are officially an all weather event.

I bought a 12 x 6m marquee to cover the pool while I repainted it. So we're good to go even in "inclement weather".

I'm happy to receive crates from those who want to drop off and you can pick up whenever.

Can I ask everyone to PM me their first name and a contact phone number (mobile). If there is some unexpected train wreck, I'll SMS everyone.

I'll also knock up a "translation" (name and nickname) and tasting page.

If anyone is using Beersmith and wants to share their recipe, I'm happy to be the "database", I'll create a folder and email to those that want it.

Don't have a smoker, but pretty decent BBQ. Couple of big eskies also for "tasters"

Should be bottling my offering over the weekend. Tasting good out of the fermenter so far.

Brewing the IPA tonight!
Just have to oak the Porter and bottle, has been lagering for over a month now.

Mikeyr said:
ONE MONTH TO GO!

Right kids, a bit of an update .... we are officially an all weather event.

I bought a 12 x 6m marquee to cover the pool while I repainted it. So we're good to go even in "inclement weather".

I'm happy to receive crates from those who want to drop off and you can pick up whenever.

Can I ask everyone to PM me their first name and a contact phone number (mobile). If there is some unexpected train wreck, I'll SMS everyone.

I'll also knock up a "translation" (name and nickname) and tasting page.

If anyone is using Beersmith and wants to share their recipe, I'm happy to be the "database", I'll create a folder and email to those that want it.

Don't have a smoker, but pretty decent BBQ. Couple of big eskies also for "tasters"
despite all the planning, looks like ill be dropping mine off early as i can't go due to the wife organising something and not telling me.
damn, ill drop off mine with some side swaps and something smoked to nibble on.

Back