2016 NSW Mid Year Case Swap - Tasting & Recipes thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8 - Kolsch

I drank a lot of these when I was having a holiday near Cologne a year ago. Most were OK but a bit lacking in character. I blame that on the widespread use of hop extract as the brewers try to cut costs (geez they have cheap beer over there - but so lacking in what makes beer taste like beer).

Anyway, I'm pleased to say this beer had more character than those "real" examples and was a nice easy drinking beer, as a Kolsch should be. The aroma was of light malt and I also got a hint of lemon. The flavour was again light malt with the bitterness nicely balanced to leave a light noble hop flavour/bitterness in the finish.

Good session beer.

Les the Weizguy said:
#16 - Schwarzbier

(from memory, as I can't find my notes)
Appearance - Black as a stout and holding a medium slight tan head. Quite appealing.
Aroma - Low level of burnt grain and low-very low hop aroma.
Taste - More of the roast character than I expected, but after tasting my Schwarzbier again, I feel this one is close to the mark. Low malt character and low hop flavour. Drinkable and slightly bitterness in the balance. Some lingering roast.
Comments - not sure if it's the 833 yeast that skews this beer for me, but I found it slightly too roasty and not malty enough. It's been a while since I had Köstritzer, not that this was a clone. Something here did not encourage sessionability.
The MAIN thing I think here is that I need to taste more Schwarzbier before judging. Was also a little reminiscent of Tooheys Old, but roasty like a stout in the first few sips.
Thanks for the feedback Les. To be perfectly honest I am not too sure what it was meant to taste like either. A note from Gordon Strong on the recipe said 'This is in the Schwarzbier style with stronger bitterness and hop character than many examples. It is important that the roast character comes through but that it not be burnt. Should have strongly roasted flavour without any harshness or burnt flavours'

I plan to do a side by side soon with Kostritzer to see how it shapes up

Stew

Thanks for the feedback. So what you're basically saying is i should have just called it a blonde rather than a kolsch.

Recipe is in the first post.

Yep it was tap water (filtered through a 3 stage system but not RO, distilled or rainwater) and I used WLP007 instead of 2565 or WLP029 (which i would normally use) as i thought it would be different. I did a step mash including some time at 60 or 62C and have brewed many many kolsches which I all enjoy. Yes it was also a little green, temperatures here weren't as low as i expected and I don't have temperature control.

Last case swap i do anyway TBH.

Anyway thanks for the feedback and hope you enjoy the other beers.

If i was entering a kolsch into a contest i'd probably pay more attention, use the correct yeast, demineralized water of some kind and lager in temp control or at least have it bottled for a while in the fridge before entering. But I'm not entering contests anymore, I find them a waste of time and money.

Ben

Pratty1 said:
#8 Kolsch

Aroma was at first hard to figure out as I was expecting a malty breadiness or a slight floral hop presence, I finally realised it was green apple which screamed acedylhydrate. In other styles that would not be welcome but kolsch is acceptable. Apple is usually from fermentation temps being to high for that strain? That aroma lead into a cider flavour which would suggest it needed more lagering time before package. (It went into my fridge on Friday arvo)

Appearance was slight haze, which appeared to be chill haze as it cleared up as I got through the pint. Carbonation was excellent with a nice white foam that was persistent. It did lack crispness and dryness for the style, to achieve that the mash temp can be longer at lower temps 62/63 and target a mash pH of 5.2 which leads to a lower final beer pH.

Not sure what your water was like, it did taste like water from the tap, a style like this being similar to lager will show up all aspects very easily. Using rain water or RO with a neutral ppm for each mineral will clean this up. Would be good to see the recipe and details if you can share those?

gone brewing said:
8 - Kolsch

I drank a lot of these when I was having a holiday near Cologne a year ago. Most were OK but a bit lacking in character. I blame that on the widespread use of hop extract as the brewers try to cut costs (geez they have cheap beer over there - but so lacking in what makes beer taste like beer).

Anyway, I'm pleased to say this beer had more character than those "real" examples and was a nice easy drinking beer, as a Kolsch should be. The aroma was of light malt and I also got a hint of lemon. The flavour was again light malt with the bitterness nicely balanced to leave a light noble hop flavour/bitterness in the finish.

Good session beer.

DJR said:
Last case swap i do anyway TBH.

Anyway thanks for the feedback and hope you enjoy the other beers.

Ben
Hi Ben, I'm just wondering if there was something in particular that prompted this comment?

From my side, I've enjoyed it being able to drink a whole bunch of different beers I may not brew myself. Not all have been to my style, but they've all been worth experiencing.

waggastew said:
Thanks for the feedback Les. To be perfectly honest I am not too sure what it was meant to taste like either. A note from Gordon Strong on the recipe said 'This is in the Schwarzbier style with stronger bitterness and hop character than many examples. It is important that the roast character comes through but that it not be burnt. Should have strongly roasted flavour without any harshness or burnt flavours'

I plan to do a side by side soon with Kostritzer to see how it shapes up

Stew
Schwarzbier is one of my favourite styles. I've had Kostritzer both in bottle and on tap. Stortebeker (only had in bottles) is probably my favourite. Both those brands available in Australia (if you look search endlessly like I have). Bottled kostritzer from Dan Murphy's can be a bit hit and miss in terms of how well bottles have been handled, but it's the easiest to find.

I've seen schwarzbier described as "Black Pils" but that does this style a massive disservice.

In truth, there's a bit of variation between different schwarzbiers. My favourite schwarzes have a smooth maltiness from a healthy amount of munich malt (so when I make a schwarz it's a bit like a black, roasty Munich dunkel and not at all like a black pils).

A few things really which i won't go into in detail, but I'm enjoying the beers so far that I have had, just not really my thing anymore.

I didn't realise we were being judged so critically and i was a bit upset about my effort leading to such a negative review. Just hardens up my decision not to do any more.

Reman said:
Hi Ben, I'm just wondering if there was something in particular that prompted this comment?

From my side, I've enjoyed it being able to drink a whole bunch of different beers I may not brew myself. Not all have been to my style, but they've all been worth experiencing.

Got a few to comment on, no beer judge but you get my honest opinion.

Mikeyr - Chinook IPA. Loved this beer. Plenty of hop flavour.....the sort of flavour my ******* clone was missing....I digress..just enough malt to hold the hops.
What chemical aditions do you make Mike?, if any. Best beer of the swap for me so far....it is early on though.

Welly2 - English Bitter. This one gushed on opening, not a massive gush but slowly for about 15 minutes. At first I thought there was an infection, and its possible there was a slight one but the flavour to me seemed to be a tad too much crystal, it was harsh and vinegary at first but settle a little. The beer itself became drinkable as it settled down and was reasonably enjoyable...it helped that the Blues got up whilst drinking it. I feel that the crystal malts were a little too much. Certainly the makings of a very good beer with a little tweeking.

DJR - Kolsch. I hope this may heal an earlier inflected wound, but I found this beer to be thoroughly enjoyable. I bumped it out of the fridge and luckily it was on the bottom shelf so when it landed on its head it didn't go bang, just popped a bit of the lid and made a ******* lovely mess. I got a good glass out of though and really enjoyed it. I thought woth the bump the yeast would be all shook up but not so. It was fairly clear and free of yeast. Had a nice gentle sweet maltiness and light hop spice to go with it. Was it as crisp as it could be...no, but regardless it was a very nice beer and would be stoked to have brewed it. good job.

Contrarian - Wwet hopped IIPA. A litle over carbed at first, i know difficult to contol with the hop acids. Poured a massive head. Poured a second glass that was a little better. Normally I find wet hopped beers to be too 'hoppy' full of acid and bitter bite but this was nicely controlled, plenty of hop oils, with some dank, stone fruit fruit and dried plums but they were nicely held by the malt. As it warmed the alcohol started to kick in and the burn became a little too evident. A nice drop and well used hops. Personally a little less alcohol would have served well.

Marksy - IPL.

Half way through the second glass of this brew, very nicely done.
A nice head, restrained carbonation and very clear. Good amount of hops nose with some malt sweetness evident. Doesn't drink with the hop presence the nose was promising but still balanced up against the malt well, hoppier than a lager for sure, not at IPA levels but it works, any hoppier would have been too much for the malt.
Just finishing off now and would't mind a bit more.
Would love to see the recipe.

#12 English IPA
image.jpeg

Appearance - dark golden colour, good head that fades quickly, brilliantly clear

Aroma - good malty aroma with a hint of hop aroma

Flavour - big maltiness, slightly sweet with a good background bitterness. Very light cherry and pear flavours come through. Malt has a good biscuit flavour.

Mouthfeel - medium body and medium-low carbonation are spot on.

Overall - really enjoyable English beer, some of the hops have faded, but it doesn't spoil the experience at all.

I have been enjoying all the beers I have tasted so far. I wish we did caseswaps more often than once a year :(

I`ll try puts my updated notes up soon.

marksy.

lets do a christmas one with the swap being in November or early dec

Yeah, am enjoying getting through these beers. Had the arrogant ******* clone yesterday. It was delish. Count me in for a Christmas case swap.

I always enjoy the case swaps. Great to have such an awesome variety of beers and has put me onto some styles I never would have tried otherwise.

So I'd be in for Christmas or thereabouts. Maybe we need 24 so we can do a case swap advent calendar.

few more feedacks...bit pissy let see how we go.

n87- Heady topper - I enjoyed this, nice balance of dank, earth and fruit. Probably not as bitter as should be but very drinkable. The alcohol was evident when drinking but not in the taste.
Well done, may have missed the mark but was very nice.

shacked - English IPA - A nice drop, was a little short on hop presence and was a touch sweet but I won't complain, a good beer that for mind needed only minor adjustments to really shine.

Gone brewing - Dubbel - This was not what I expected, it was restrained, sweet malts and sherry notes but no typical alcohol burn and candi sugar bite. I enjoyed it very much,

Peter80 - English Brown/Hobgoblinish clone - Just finished this, yum. nice sweet malt, touch of toast and a little medicinal edge. As with my own attempts at the Goblin it lacks the big dried fruit/Xmas pudding flavour but regardless was a good drop. One of the best heads I have ever seen on a beer, thick, creamy, hung around,

n87 Heady Topper Clone

I have not had the original so shooting in the dark

Golden copper colour, very clear after a month in the fridge. Tight persistent white head. Subdued aroma that lifts as it warms, tropical fruit, herbal notes. Dry malt quickly swamped with pithy but clean citrus bitterness. Alcohol is very well integrated, contributes to the dryness. Carbonation is medium.

Overall a nice dry example of the style. I have had quite a few DIPA's that are too sweet and under attenuated or alcohol hot. Hop aroma could maybe go up a notch. Enjoyed this a lot.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1471600968.411577.jpg

Back into these after a bit of a break with number 21, southern English brown.

This is a nice beer. Nice brown colour and low carbonation which is to style. Quite a dry finish with a nice balance between the malt and yeast characters. Hops aren't prominent but nicely balanced.

Gets better as it warms up.

Cheers!

Back