2016 NSW Mid Year Case Swap - Tasting & Recipes thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aroma - little bit of a cat pee aroma, some tropical/pineapple notes.

Appearance - dark copper, white bubbly head that stuck around.

Flavour - aroma follows into the flavour, fair bit of dankness. Has barnyardiness, that hints at some Brett character(?). Bitterness balances the malt without having a big hop flavour.

Mouthfeel - good carbonation leads to dryish mouthfeel, but still has good body.

Overall - the more you drink the more the Brett character comes through. Wasn't noted to be a brett'd IPA, but if it is, it's superb. With a great balance between Brett, hops and malt.

image.jpeg

Thanks for the feedback guys. It certainly wasn't brewed as a Brett IPA but it could have something to do with the hop stand with a large amount of wet hops, actually 1.3kg for 30 minutes at around 85C.

So not sure if it is the wet hops or something on them that survived the process bringing the earthy notes or not. It was a bit experimental so wasn't sure exactly what to expect. Glad it has been enjoyed though.

#2. I didn't get any Brett in the aroma in my bottle, did have quite an earthy and spicy aroma and taste. Had a nice malt backbone and very English hop character. I enjoyed it, especially after a long day in the garden.

contrarian said:
Thanks for the feedback guys. It certainly wasn't brewed as a Brett IPA but it could have something to do with the hop stand with a large amount of wet hops, actually 1.3kg for 30 minutes at around 85C.
So not sure if it is the wet hops or something on them that survived the process bringing the earthy notes or not. It was a bit experimental so wasn't sure exactly what to expect. Glad it has been enjoyed though.
If you had a said it was a Brett IPA, I wouldn't have batted an eyelid!

OK, so im no judge, and doing this from memory as well.... but here it goes:

#18 - Clayton - Stern IPA

IMAG0082.jpg

Aroma: big hoppy aroma, but much 'softer' than most ive smelt, not in your face like American, not spicy like Euro. a little sweet malt in the background

Appearance: beautiful dense white head, lovely clear amber colour. Lacing all the way down the glass, persistent head, lasted the whole time (about 45 mins!)

Flavour: Big hoppyness as my nose promised. Lovely sweet malt backbone. Bittering seemed to be on the light side but not unbalanced (threw me a little in the first couple of sips). lingering spiciness only noticeable after consumed.

Mouthfeel: Silky, almost oily with a slight tingle from the carbonation. Slight alcohol warmth, but much less than you would expect from 10%

Overall: the more I drank of this, the more I loved it. it took more than a couple of sips for my mind to get over the bitterness promised by the aroma not being there, but once i put my mind in its place, really enjoyed it. Glad i have another bottle!

I also drank #2 last night. I liked the strong malt backbone and heavyish mouthfeel in contrast to the bitterness. If anything it probably could have been a bit more bitter! I got the tropical/pineapple aroma and flavor up front and then got a lot of earthy/spicy hop notes. Head retention was good.

I wish I had more!

Can't really comment on the 'brettiness' as I've never brewed with it or consumed a lot of beers brewed with it.

# 11 Marksy's IPA.

Glorious.

After a pleasant afternoon drinking megaswill (which was because of the company and location would have made even Barl's beers taste good) I thought I needed something good to cleanse the palate and re-align the world.

Great choice, great beer.

Well done.

First cab off my rank

#4 Mikeyr's Chinook IPA

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1466156431.284496.jpg

Yummy! Hop forward, lots of pine resin, pineapple and citrus peel. Colour and aroma suggests a malt richness but flavour is nice and dry, supporting the hops but leaving room as well. Super fresh tasting, no oxidised caramel notes, fermentation is clean.

Would love to hear the grain bill used to get the clean dry finish Mike?

Top beer, sets the bar high for the remaining beer!

EDIT: Profile name, actual name changed. The guy made hosted a caseswap, shook my hand, cooked me lunch but could I remember his name......

waggastew said:
First cab off my rank

#4 Markyr's Chinook IPA

attachicon.gif

Yummy! Hop forward, lots of pine resin, pineapple and citrus peel. Colour and aroma suggests a malt richness but flavour is nice and dry, supporting the hops but leaving room as well. Super fresh tasting, no oxidised caramel notes, fermentation is clean.

Would love to hear the grain bill used to get the clean dry finish Mark?

Top beer, sets the bar high for the remaining beers!
Actually Mikeyr ......LOL!!!

Thanks Stew :) Got the duck on the ice and it's lunch tomorrow.

Cheers

Got #2 in the fridge chilling as we speak. Looking forward to it from what has been said above.

Bloody tasty, that's what it is.

Mike, I just cracked open your IPA; it's unreal. Did/can you share the recipe?

Paulyman #5.

Lacked a little carbonbation and seemed to be under attenuated.
Was a little sweet as a result and short on bitterness.
I did find the underlying flavour to be very nice, the subtle hop/malt mix was good.

I'm keen for the recipe, I think this could be a very good 'crowd pleaser' at my Wedding Anniversery later in the year

Ok, this may be a little brutal and it makes me think I'm a bit of a beer snob but I'd rather be honest than sugar coat what I tasted.

#2 wet hopped IPA

It's was overcarbontaed which affected the aroma and flavour. After about 10mins the foam subsided and I could get to the beer. Still not a lot of aroma on the nose. Got a lot of earthiness in the flavour and also seemed like a lot of sweetness in the finish which was from the wet hops but didn't have that DIPA flavour. I was expecting a bigger resinous flavour from the amount of wet hops. Didn't get any Brett the others speak of

#11 Marksy IPL

Poured a very bright golden colour with a nice tight white head. Aroma was a bit bready and estery, NO hop aroma at all and seemed more like a basic lager than a IPA made with lager yeast. Flavour and finish was average and I wasn't liking it. Left it to sit for a while (10mins) and when it had warmed up I got a better flavour from the malt, but no hops showed up at all.

#6 Heady Topper Clone

This beer was ready to drink, good carbonation and slight hop haze. Aroma was low with some grapefruit and earth notes. The mouthfeel was good, not as dank and resinous as heady topper would be. It drank well while making dinner and I got through the whole longneck. Found it to be a good beer, probably could do with a lot more late hops and heavier dry hopping.

#19 AB clone

The colour and carbonated was good, nice deep red maroon malty colour. No chinook aroma at all. Chinook didn't show up for the flavour or bitterness either. The spec B dominates the flavour and finish. Was more like a ESB. The ABV and bitterness was balanced but it lacked any hop flavour which AB is famous for.

Had #9 last night. Much roastier than any Bitter I've ever had. This was delicious, the roast played great with the earthy hops and it went down a treat. Would love the recipe.

Thanks for the feedback Pratty, would rather an honest assessment, how else can your brewing improve? Apologies you got an overcarbed one, I always aim for the lower end when bottling so not sure what's happened there.

I was also a bit disappointed in the flavour and aroma from the wet hops given the amount used, I was also hoping to get more resinous notes from the Amarillo but it didn't come through so will look at my hop selection next time around.

paulyman said:
Had #9 last night. Much roastier than any Bitter I've ever had. This was delicious, the roast played great with the earthy hops and it went down a treat. Would love the recipe.
Thanks kindly! Glad you enjoyed it! Recipe is at http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/91117-2016-nsw-mid-year-case-swap-tasting-recipes-thread/#entry1378902 I'm going to make it again but I think I'll probably drop the brown malt down to 150g/200g and try and make the roastiness a little more subtle. Still, I think it worked fairly well. Cheers!

Pratty1 said:
Ok, this may be a little brutal and it makes me think I'm a bit of a beer snob but I'd rather be honest than sugar coat what I tasted.

#6 Heady Topper Clone

This beer was ready to drink, good carbonation and slight hop haze. Aroma was low with some grapefruit and earth notes. The mouthfeel was good, not as dank and resinous as heady topper would be. It drank well while making dinner and I got through the whole longneck. Found it to be a good beer, probably could do with a lot more late hops and heavier dry hopping.
Thanks. will pass this on. and try to find out what happened to all the hops.

#4 Mikeyr's Chinook IPA

I really enjoyed that. I drank it yesterday without taking notes but I can say it was a much more drinkable and approachable beer than I was expecting an IPA to be. The hops dominated the aroma and the flavour had some nice malty goodness followed by a solid kick with the hop flavour but the overall impression was more like a hoppy APA rather than an IPA. Just didn't have the huge IBUs I was expecting but that just made it soooooo good to drink. Got to the end of the bottle in next to no time and was looking for another. Nice job Mike!! Recipe???

Cheers
Dick

Take all this with a grain of salt as I have a cold so my senses may be wacky!

#4 chinook IPA
image.jpeg

Appearance - gorgeous coppery colour, with a large head of white foam that lasted.

Aroma - not a huge amount of aroma, what I can get smells woody and slightly sherberty.

Flavour - bitter, piney. Lingering bitterness that heads towards astringency. Gets better as you drink more. Slight caramel offsets the bitterness a little. There was a very very subtle off flavour, only came out once it warmed up, tasted mediciney.

Mouthfeel - reasonable amount of body with a nice carbonation, a little bit of oiliness.

Overall - a little one dimensional in the hop flavour and not a huge amount of aroma. Still quite drinkable.

waggastew said:
First cab off my rank

#4 Mikeyr's Chinook IPA

attachicon.gif

Would love to hear the grain bill used to get the clean dry finish Mike?

Top beer, sets the bar high for the remaining beer!

EDIT: Profile name, actual name changed. The guy made hosted a caseswap, shook my hand, cooked me lunch but could I remember his name......
Ingredients: - Scaled as 42L batch
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe Wh Grain 1 42.2 %
5.00 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 2 42.2 %
0.50 kg Crystal Light (88.7 EBC) Grain 3 4.2 %
0.50 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 4 4.2 %
0.50 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 Grain 5 4.2 %
0.35 kg Crystal, Dark (Joe White) (216.7 E Grain 6 3.0 %
20.0 g Chinook [13.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 14.6 IBUs
15.0 g Simcoe [14.10 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 8 8.9 IBUs
15.0 g Chinook [13.30 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 9 5.4 IBUs
15.0 g Simcoe [14.10 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 10 5.8 IBUs
25.0 g Simcoe [14.10 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 11 7.0 IBUs
15.0 g Simcoe [14.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 12 2.3 IBUs
35.4 g Simcoe [14.10 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 13 1.2 IBUs
35.0 g Chinook [13.30 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 14 1.1 IBUs
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #U Yeast 15 -
50.0 g Chinook [13.30 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Da Hop 16 0.0 IBUs
50.0 g Simcoe [14.10 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Day Hop 17 0.0 IBUs

In theory about 48 IBU, although it's no chill so i would add a bit to that.

No worries Steve ( :drinks: ) Duck was a great drop!
Reman, agree, some reason lost a bit of the usual aroma. Has been in the bottle about 6 weeks. Keg version was cleaner. I like the resin! Closet fave is Tower 10 from Karl Strauss, like sucking a pine tree!

Back