2015 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I'm wondering where to buy rhizomes, I know planting season is just around the corner and would like get my hands in some Vic secret, Amarillo, Chinook and Cascade. I know this has probably been covered somewhere. It I'm having trouble finding it.

Cheers

Hi Rodj6

My belief is that you won't get the first two on your wishlist due to proprietary. I would keep your eyes peeled on here and other sites like ebay for the others.

I'll have some chinook and cascade rhizomes on offer in the next couple of months. Where are you from rodj6

Thanks Bill I'll keep an eye out.

Curly, that sounds great, I live in Gisborne Vic, hope that works

Ok rod. I'm in Kinglake. Not too far. Mate send me a PM message so I remember you come dig up time.

Hi all,

When I was researching what hops to buy last season one of the pieces of information which lacked massively was what varieties are best for what regions! I thought I would throw up and survey and collate some data on the subject to give back to the hop growing community.

The survey is extremely quick and if you know your harvest weights it will take you maximum 2 minutes to fill out.

Hopefully the results should be able to guide home brewers in deciding what varieties are best for their region... Without having to relocate to Victoria to get a better harvest! It also throws in some other variables to see what difference they make.

Here is the link: http://goo.gl/forms/TPc8FTfTe3

Cheers,

Sam

Can you make a "other. Please specify category for hop varieties? Victoria not on there?

Good job all!
Have enjoyed reading this thread
I did not get any cones this year due to poor prep due to work commitments- I did however end up with some good vegetative growth, so I'm hoping that should mean that they are fit and fighting ready to go next season

Below is a picture of the hops during January, main plant Victoria. Belted along but took me way to long to get them into the wine barrels

Hi Curly,

Victoria is now on the list at the bottom. Unfortunately google forms is limited in functionality so I can't put in a "specify other" category.

Sam

I'd love to establish some Hops in my garden in Brisbane. I have the perfect area set out ready, but no rhizomes.

Where is the best place to buy? I'm looking at maybe 3 or 4 rhizomes worth. Considering 2 Cascade and 1 Chinook and/or Centennial (would love a Citra or 2 too in place of these latter two but haven't seen these for sale at all). Does this seem like a good idea? I mostly want aroma hops (love IPAs).

Since it's growing season now I need to get established. Can't find any rhizomes on eBay but wondering whether anyone is selling here and how I can organise a purchase?

You'll see plenty of rhizomes on here roundabout June. Best to talk with other hop growers there about planting time, etc. I'm guessing it's quite different from down here in Melbourne.

samwakeling said:
Hi all,

When I was researching what hops to buy last season one of the pieces of information which lacked massively was what varieties are best for what regions! I thought I would throw up and survey and collate some data on the subject to give back to the hop growing community.

The survey is extremely quick and if you know your harvest weights it will take you maximum 2 minutes to fill out.

Hopefully the results should be able to guide home brewers in deciding what varieties are best for their region... Without having to relocate to Victoria to get a better harvest! It also throws in some other variables to see what difference they make.

Here is the link: http://goo.gl/forms/TPc8FTfTe3

Cheers,

Sam
Hey Sam,

I'd love the results of this research for the same purposes.

Cheers
Phil

Great survey Sam. I had similar questions since my fuggles did horribly and I couldn't find any posts saying they had a good yield I suspected they don't do well in australia.

One thing, it my help to have a separate page to log the vigor of different varieties. My Super Alpha this year were on track to out strip all the other varieties, reaching 3-4m off the ground before the others even had their heads out, but two hot snaps fried he growing tips and I wound up only getting < 30g dried from them. They would probably need more care, but could wind up being the most productive variety.

Great Idea Sam
I'm growing a bit of "Red Earth" (a Western Australian variety) which is doing really well

I know everything can't be accounted for in a survey like this but another column could be "didn't emerge" or a complete disaster like my EKG last year

I am dropping a few of my varieties Super Alpha and the as they haven't yielded well for the last two years

Winners in my area/soil type (SW WA)

Cascade
Fuggles (sorry Franks)
Red Earth

Just hanging out for the day when I can get hold of some Amarillo and Citra ... how long does a patent last on plants?

In my experience in the normal hop growing region, Victoria looks like the highest yielding variety, followed closely by Cascade. I wouldn't recommend any other variety to anyone intending to grow hops commercially. Yields just aren't there from other varieties, and I have grown a fair number of different varieties over a number of years to get a good impression.

For anyone wishing to breed hops, my recommendation would be to get Cluster, POR and J58 in addition to the above. It should be noted that Victoria is a triploid variety and therefore you won't get any seeds from it.

My Goldings hops loving pelletized chook shit 487.jpg

I'd put a pic up but between 80kph winds from another ex cyclone and masses of grasshoppers that needed some more hop, there was nothing to photograph again.

:blink:

Yeah, mine went strong for most of the season, but then we had a pretty hectic wet month and they died right back :(
I think mine should be ready to dig up early next month
Anyone want any Hallertauer, I should have HEAPS of rhizomes
Willing to swap for anything fruity (cascade, victoria, etc) that will deal with the warmer climate up here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back