2015 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a question for those in "the know":

I'm going to lift my plants out for winter and replant around September in new beds. So, to do this, i'll take the opportunity to give the plants a solid time in a fridge or freezer. The question is, what would be best for them, Fridge or Freezer? Varieties will be Hallertau, Cascade and Chinook.

Thanks in advance. Martin

Fridge. They'll die if they freeze, either from tissue destruction or dessication. When temperatures get below freezing in areas where hops grow the temperature of the earth does not actually reach freezing. If it does, growers dig the rhizomes and cold store them. This comes from an interview I heard with a commercial grower in a region where the ground freezes. It was on a brewing podcast, pretty sure it was Beersmith Radio, but not certain.

Mardoo said:
Fridge. They'll die if they freeze, either from tissue destruction or dessication. When temperatures get below freezing in areas where hops grow the temperature of the earth does not actually reach freezing. If it does, growers dig the rhizomes and cold store them. This comes from an interview I heard with a commercial grower in a region where the ground freezes. It was on a brewing podcast, pretty sure it was Beersmith Radio, but not certain.
Thanks Mardoo

All plants have died right back to bare brown bines. Is it ok to dig them up now to re-locate you think ?

It's still probably a bit early Curly79 but I got impatient on the weekend and took mine out of their pots and into the ground. I'm hoping there's still enough warmth to help them develop roots and I really only transferred the root ball with minor disturbance. Time will tell I guess.

Camo6 said:
It's still probably a bit early Curly79 but I got impatient on the weekend and took mine out of their pots and into the ground. I'm hoping there's still enough warmth to help them develop roots and I really only transferred the root ball with minor disturbance. Time will tell I guess.
Sorry I missed heaps of this topic recently but what's wrong with just leaving them in the pots during winter??

sp0rk said:
Yeah, mine went strong for most of the season, but then we had a pretty hectic wet month and they died right back :(
I think mine should be ready to dig up early next month
Anyone want any Hallertauer, I should have HEAPS of rhizomes
Willing to swap for anything fruity (cascade, victoria, etc) that will deal with the warmer climate up here
I could probably chop some Victoria for you sp0rky in exchange for the hallertau. Thanks to mardoo I've got big root system.
Only question is how to do it without disrupting anything too much.

Cheers camo. I'll wait a bit. Might just cut them back.

Lochem said:
Sorry I missed heaps of this topic recently but what's wrong with just leaving them in the pots during winter??
Because they'd been in the pot 3 years and were root bound??? (I see your question marks and raise you one :p )

Have been getting reduced yields on my plants even in 100l pots with regular compost top ups and have been meaning to do it for a couple of years. I figured I should do it either before it gets too cold and wet and risk them rotting or wait until early spring as it warms back up again. Impatience got the better of me.

20150426_152805 (1280x720).jpg

Would anyone know why my hops would be sprouting new shutes?
What should be my plan of attack to get them ready for winter?

IMG_20150505_090007.jpg

IMG_20150505_090041.jpg

Cut the shoots and put at least 15cm of soil on top. Last year I just dumped a sack of mushroom compost on top. Figured that would help nutrify the soil over the winter for the spring kickoff. Not sure whether that's true or useful though

The new shoots could be due to the weather,has it in your neck of the woods been warmer than usual considering its winter now ?

It was for a bit, but it is getting colder now with these cold fronts coming through. I have broken out the uggies :p
Should I cut back the lot and mulch?

Could also be species. My Fuggles is sending up shoots whereas all my others are well dying back. Except the Goldings. It's happy as Larry.

My Canterbury Goldings still has green on ot, just gunna leave all bines till mid winter

hops.jpg

Rigged up this little unit today to the good ladies garden, well blows me down, wouldnt you know it, there are 3 spare outlets.

Little thing cost me $5 at the wantirna markets.

Next year, watering just got a whole lot easier :super:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back