What Are You Reading?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have little trouble putting most books down but Just finished "The Reckoning" The Day Australia Fell by Keith McArdle. One I found difficult to put down and finished in 2 sessions.

Great yarn. Australia invaded by Indonesia & left in the lurch by the UN.

Not flawless, but nonetheless and excellent read.

Martin

Black Devil Dog said:
Thanks for the tip spog, I'm currently reading Kokoda by Fitzsimons and I find his writing style quite enjoyable to read.
you should enjoy Batavia then,must get his latest about the Kelly gang,heard him interviewed on the radio and it sounds like a good one. ...cheers...spog...

Just finished reading. Girt the Unauthorised History of Australia by David Hunt.
Down loaded from Kobo,if you are interested in oz history or not read it,it's a good read that will get you in and give you a bloody good laugh. Cheers...spog..

If you get the book,in chapter 10 page 39, is a cartoon which given DucatiBoy Stu's pic in his posts is topical,but OT here to what do you remember as a kid,can anyone name the bloke who use to promote the name of the paint company on the paint tin.
Careful what you say!.

Just started reading The Hydrogen Sonata by Iain M Banks, I've read all of his books up to Inversions, but disliked it so much I have read any since. The Hydrogen Sonata seems to be pretty good 65 pages in.

Hotel Kerobokan. Just finished reading Snowing in Bali. Good googly moogly was that an awesome read. Hotel K isn't as good, but still very much worth the read so far.

Just finished over the holiday break reading two comic series...

Planetary...think X-Files mixed with Heroes mixed with something with superheroes, really enjoyed it!
planetary.jpg

Transmetropolitan...think Judge Dredd timeframe (almost) with over the top violence and sex but the main character is a journalist, now in my top reads! Great series!
transmetropolitan.jpg

Tom Petrie's reminiscences of early Queensland (dating from 1837) (1904)

https://archive.org/details/cu31924063745495

a very informative read for anyone interested in how life was when the white fellas showed up. The customs & practices of the tribes from the Brisbane & surrounding area are described in detail, as well as the wildlife & flora.

Vale Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Your fervent imagination drew me out of my hole as a young man. What a wonder you were!

I just finished reading "The Wind Up Bird Chronicle" by Murakami, and am onto "What I talk about when I talk about running". The former was excellent, Kafka on the Shore is next.

Just started reading 'If on a winters night a traveler' by Italo Calvino.
The idea of reading a book about reading the book you're reading only to find out you're not actually reading said book got me interested. Plus I love the cover art of the vintage classic range.

I read "All You Need Is Kill" by Hiroshi Sakurazaka, which has been made into "Edge of Tomorow" starring Tom Cruise. Its a short novel and really well written, I recommend it. Not sure if movie will do it justice, Emily Blunt seems too wimpy for the role...

I couldn't find the word "Cryptonomicon" anywhere in this thread.

606.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptonomicon

It's two stores that intertwine about a man and his grandson. The grandfather's story takes place during WW2 where he is part of a dis-intelligence unit.
The grandson is in the early 90's setting up a telecoms installation in the Philippines. (ok, i admit that doesn't sound so exciting).

Actually maybe just read the wikipedia link. Their summary is better.

This is my favourite book. You should read it.

Iron Coffins.
Just had my cousin, an ex-serviceman, give this to me. As near as he can triangulate from the RAAF records and Werners account in the book, U-415 was the actual u boat that brought down my grandfathers (flight navigator) Lancaster bomber on D day. The attack is apparently detailed quite comprehensively by Werner. Haven't got to it yet, but feeling a little emotional to be honest.

902926.jpg

minerva-s-night-out.jpg

Good book synthesising most of his ideas. Some essays I hadn't encountered elsewhere and others are becoming quite dated.

Just started reading American Sour Beers by Michael Tonsmeire (themadfermentationist.com)

American Sour Beers Final.jpg

Really good so far, it can see it becoming a trusted and we'll worn reference

Mr Wibble said:
I couldn't find the word "Cryptonomicon" anywhere in this thread.

606.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptonomicon

It's two stores that intertwine about a man and his grandson. The grandfather's story takes place during WW2 where he is part of a dis-intelligence unit.
The grandson is in the early 90's setting up a telecoms installation in the Philippines. (ok, i admit that doesn't sound so exciting).

Actually maybe just read the wikipedia link. Their summary is better.

This is my favourite book. You should read it.
I loved that book when I first read it.
One of my favourite authors but he lost me with The Baroque Cycle.

ReamDe is a return to form, but he needs an editor.

Latest posts

Back