What Are You Reading?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petesbrew

Lover of Beer
Reaction score
Stan Nicholls - Orcs (Omnibus edition)
Arrived on Tuesday from bookdepository.co.uk - Just started it yesterday.

Anarchy Evolution: Faith, science, and bad religion in a world without God - Greg Graffin.

The Joe Hunter series by Matthew Hilton -
Dead Mans Dust
Judgement and Wrath

Just ordered number three :)

Run Rabbit - John Updike
Backyard Homestead - Carleen Madigan
Tasting Beer - Randy Mosher

It's good to have a few on the go.
Textbooks don't count.

Farmhouse ales- Phil markowski.

About to start either Tideland (Mitch Cullin) or the sunset limited (Cormac McCarthy) as well.

I listen to talking books in my car, get them from my local library, sure beats commercial radio ads, have really enjoyed, Nicholas Nickleby and Matthew Reily's Jack West series so far.

Tea time for the traditionally built by Alexander McCall Smith

The Battle for Spain-Antony Beevor.

Anarchy Evolution: Faith, science, and bad religion in a world without God - Greg Graffin.
This any good? Saw it being flogged on the BR website recently.

Necrophenia - Robert Rankin

Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts is a book that I love & loathe in equal measures. Presently reading it for the third time, and cringing as his drippy metaphors.

Been meaning to read that for years but my back just isn't up to it.

aka - tl;dr

Been meaning to read that for years but my back just isn't up to it.

For such a big book nudging on 1000 pages in paperback edition, it's really a breeze to get through. Junkie Romantic on the lam, a mixture of fact and fiction, makes for a rewarding read. Like I said, I F*ing hate it for a lot of the wanking poetic dialogue, and also the tough guy self description, but it's a well done story. Sadly, most people believe it to be 100% autobiographical, which it is clearly not. For chrissake, the byline in print is SHANTARAM: A NOVEL. No single person could ever have such an experience in the space of a few years.

The author's spoken-word tours since the success of Shantaram seems to cash in on the fact/fiction crossover. I suspect GDR is actually delusional.

Exhibit A:

Yet still, I re-read the bloody thing. Mostly to re-examine the impetus that became an unusually successful bestseller.

Old fart question, but what does that mean ? Seen it around the interwebs, cannot decipher.

Last edited by a moderator:
too long; didn't read

The Ice Man (Richard Kuklinski) by Philip Carlo

finished this so it's either Hell West & Crooked by Tom Cole or A Fortunate Life by A.B Facey, read both a couple of times each but they never get old :icon_cheers:

the last (most recent) of Peter F Hamiltons super space opera epic series "Evolutionary Void"
Bedside book is Michael Jacksons "Great Beers of Belgium" that i bought back with me from the Germany / Belgium trip.

Back