First time brewer question - Has my brew stalled?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLoneLager

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
New to the forum and to brewing in general. I am making a tropical ale (Starter kit from Kegland) and all seems to have gone well starting off. I did however make the mistake of not taking an OG reading. The ale has been fermenting in a converted fridge at 25 degrees and 2 days into the fermentation I put a spunding valve on and brought it up to 10psi. 5 days in now and it looks like my gravity is 1.011-1.012 and hasnt altered in the last 24-48 hours. Im using a RAPT pill for these measurements and took a gravity read yesterday and it all looks accurate. Does appear to still be pressurising if I purge it with the PRV and it does creep back up to the 10PSI set point. I am using nottingham high performance yeast. Thanks in advance for any advice or assistance and all ears if you have any tips to look out, things to do or try during fermentation.

Screenshot 2023-04-24 111140.png

Screenshot 2023-04-24 111257.png

A gravity of 1.011-12 is about right for an ale, and If the gravity is stable of 24-48 hours then fermentation is likely complete. I don’t pressure ferment, but I’d routinely leave and other 24-48 hours post terminal gravity to let the beer clean itself up a bit (but not sure if this is the done thing with pressure fermenting).

I wouldn’t worry about the CO2. It is just gas being released from the liquid. When you release the pressure from the head, gas from the beer is released until a new equilibrium is reached. It’s stops at 10psi as that is where you’re pressure relief valve is set. It’s not a sign of active fermentation (presuming your gravity is stable).

JD.

Almost certainly it's done. I don't know their kit. What grist or other fermentables went into it and what is your volume?

Unrelated to your question: I've used Notty many times but never above 18. Others may have different takes.'

Latest posts

Back