What Are You Reading?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Currently reading this.
ThatClosePB.jpg

I always like musicians autobiographies.

Dave70 said:
Iron Coffins.
Just had my cousin, an ex-serviceman, give this to me. As near as he can triangulate from the RAAF records and Werners account in the book, U-415 was the actual u boat that brought down my grandfathers (flight navigator) Lancaster bomber on D day. The attack is apparently detailed quite comprehensively by Werner. Haven't got to it yet, but feeling a little emotional to be honest.

902926.jpg
I read this ,wow the connection with your family is very interesting.

I have just finished read this.
image.jpg
An evil fucker if ever there was one.

Started reading my way through Tom Sharpe books again, the wife has barred me from reading them in bed because I try to stifle my laughs and the bed shakes. Wilt, is one of the funniest books I have read.

Just finished Murder in Mississippi by John Safran. It's basically a journal of his investigation into the murder of a White Supremacist he'd had contact with. As much as a true crime story, it's a portrait if Mississippi as viewed by an outsider. If you like his TV work, you might enjoy this. There's less focus on humour, but it shares the same dry approach to humanity.

Watched the SBS documentary, The 60's, brought back memories about how the blacks were treated in America and the colour bar also the movie Mississippi Burning was spot on Governor Wallace got his just deserts, funny how he found God after he was shot.

Just finished reading The Martian by Andy Weir...a great book!! About a astronaut who is part of a landing part on Mars who gets left behind.

This.. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1412133251.011112.jpg

Can't say those who haven't read it are missing out on much unless you either love concrete or required to read it

Tackling 2 books at the moment, 3 if you count the dictionary to see what a lot of the words mean that these two conjure up.

Waking up -Sam Harris
Thomas Jefferson Author of America - Chris Hitchens

Reading "the sex lives of Siamese twins" by Irvine Welsh. I loved his early novels & short stories, but this and most of his more recent work is ******* garbage. Lift ya game, ya fookin' daft wee c@#t!

wide eyed and legless said:
Did you read Filth? I see its been made into a movie now.
I did, I loved Filth - haven't seen the movie yet, but James McEvoy was great in The Last King of Scotland. I believe Filth has a couple of BAFTA nominations, so I think it's ok.

Mardoo said:
I highly recommend "Feast of Snakes" by Harry Crews for all you fellow sickos.
Looked up "Feast of snakes" don't think I could handle the animal cruelty.I did read "The Painted Bird" some years ago now that book is sick. The author Jerzy Kosinski committed suicide 20 years ago.

Prince Imperial said:
I did, I loved Filth - haven't seen the movie yet, but James McEvoy was great in The Last King of Scotland. I believe Filth has a couple of BAFTA nominations, so I think it's ok.
I haven't read the book so I just ordered it on your recommendation, I know the movie got good reviews.

No just Trainspotting and The acid house, my favourite Scottish writer is Ian Rankin I have read all the Rebus books found them really hard to put down. Through the first chapter of Filth now.

I've been reading the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher.

right up there with the most enjoyable books I've ever read, even after I found out the reason he wrote them
Apparently Jim had a bet with a fellow author at a writers workshop that he could write a successful novel based on any lame idea put forward by the fellow author. His mate chose the roman legion and Pokemon.

Still great books though.

Finished Richard Flanagan's "The Narrow Road to the Deep North". Pain, misery, suffering and cruelty - they're all in there. Flanagan also has some thoughts on how people are remembered after their deaths, which can be thought provoking for those who have lost loved ones in real life. For those who enjoy being sad :)

Unbroken -The real story of Louie Zamperini actually upset me more, not looking forward to Jolie's movie as no-one wants to see a grown man cry...

Back