What Are You Reading?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been stuck with Raymond E Feist lately.

I know it's rubbish, but that science fantasy stuff just grabs me. On about my fifth book in a row in his series about wizards and elves and shit.

punkin said:
I know it's rubbish, but that science fantasy stuff just grabs me. On about my fifth book in a row in his series about wizards and elves and shit.
Punkin, try some Joe Abercrombie. Dark fantasy, without elves, dwarves, or hobbitses, and a tendency to turn the standard genre stereotypes on their heads.

Wickedly funny and gruesome in equal measures.

A+ from me.

WarmBeer said:
Punkin, try some Joe Abercrombie. Dark fantasy, without elves, dwarves, or hobbitses, and a tendency to turn the standard genre stereotypes on their heads.

A+ from me.
Going to check him out for sure!

WarmBeer said:

A+ from me.

Thanks i will do that.

I just like the mindless Pfaff sometimes. Fairy floss for the brain. Sometimes it's good not to have to think, and there's only so much TV you can watch.
I do like to have to think sometimes too, and i like it when i'm made to think another way i didn't know about.

House of God by Samuel Shem.

Favourite quote "there isn't a body cavity that can't be reached with a 14 gauge needle and a good strong arm".

Anyone who works in a hospital will understand.

Blue remembered Earth - Alistair Reynolds

Struggling a bit with it ATM as it is a bit of a departure from his Space Operas, but holding out hope.

red-flag-history-communism-david-priestland-paperback-cover-art.jpg

So far so good. Starts with the French revolution, gone through Marx and Engels and the Western Europe tri-stream phase. Really enjoying it and learning a lot of details I didn't know and will no doubt forget after a few more beers.

WarmBeer said:

A+ from me.

On the second book of a trilogy from him, Before They Are Hanged now. If you like that writing you will like the ones i was talking about from Raymond E Feist. Very similar, just a little less spitting.

punkin said:
On the second book of a trilogy from him, Before They Are Hanged now. If you like that writing you will like the ones i was talking about from Raymond E Feist. Very similar, just a little less spitting.
That was my favourite of the trilogy, it's a rollercoaster ride.

The Heroes, which occurs after the conclusion of the trilogy, is probably his best work.

Will have another look into Feist then. I'm probably a little biased against him, as the first Fantasy series that ever got me hooked was Magician. I was only 13 years old, and am afraid to re-read incase it cheapens the memory of it.

Just finished Batavia by Peter Fitzsimons,a bloody good read if history is yor thing.
Half way through Gold by David Hill (the story history of gold mining in oz). A good read. ...cheers..spog..

WarmBeer said:
That was my favourite of the trilogy, it's a rollercoaster ride.

The Heroes, which occurs after the conclusion of the trilogy, is probably his best work.

Will have another look into Feist then. I'm probably a little biased against him, as the first Fantasy series that ever got me hooked was Magician. I was only 13 years old, and am afraid to re-read incase it cheapens the memory of it.
im reading riftwar series for the first time now. About to finish daughter of the empire.its good reading.

Purgatorio. Just started it. I have a love of Catholic literature. No, I'm not Catholic.

Finished the 'empire series' and into the blood prince trilogy of the riftwars.

Ayn Rand - Atlas Shrugged. About half way through but thinking that it might be enough.
Enjoyed The Fountainhead immensely but I just can't find the same love for this book.
Her philosophies are much more in your face with this one.
It's like yeah Ayn I get what what you're saying but can you just let me enjoy the storyline as well.

Purgatorio. Just started it. I have a love of Catholic literature. No, I'm not Catholic.
The Divine Comedy is, like, the totally awesomest trilogy EVER!!! Better than Iron Man.

All humor aside, truly, truly great and hugely influential on me.

"The Rest Is Noise" by Alex Ross
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/392563.The_Rest_is_Noise

If you have even a passing interest in modern classical interest you may find this fascinating. He basically puts the music in its context of history and characters and it's an awesome read, as well as making some sense of some really difficult music.

Just finished the Bart Cummings biography "The Master", by Les Carlyon. A great overview of his career and some brilliant photographs.

"Secret Scripture" by Sebastian Barry, excellent read, typically Irish. Best for a good laugh "Wilt", "Riotous Assembley", and "Indecent Exposure" by Tom Sharpe, the latter two resulting in his expulsion from South Africa.

spog said:
Just finished Batavia by Peter Fitzsimons,a bloody good read if history is yor thing.
Thanks for the tip spog, I'm currently reading Kokoda by Fitzsimons and I find his writing style quite enjoyable to read.

Back