Vic Xmas In July 2008 Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Brewers,

Next is:

4. Rooks Amber Ale - Amber in colour!! Aroma of malt and citris hop notes. Good carbonation. Low-medium malt in the flavour along with medium-high citrus
hop flavour and bitterness. A very tasty drop Rook. Well done.

I do agree with Alvin that some strange football label has somehow become affixed to the bottle. Be sure to
rectify this fault for the next caseswap please!!!!!!!

Thanks for that superhero.....interesting about the hop flavour

just imagine if the cats go back to back what the label is going to be like :p

Rook

you just make sure to hide all your "memrobillia" somewhere safe for that swap wookie.

Thanks for that superhero.....interesting about the hop flavour

just imagine if the cats go back to back what the label is going to be like :p

Rook

I am a bit diseased at the moment. I'm pretty sure I meant to write "English malt flavour"
instead of "hop flavour". I think that works better in an Amber Ale :)

Hello All,

Dum dum dum dum dum it's the final countdown ...
Fans of bad 80's music will know what song this is :)

Not too many case swap beers to go now.

8. Chris Taylor's Weizenbock - Deep gold/light brown in colour. Aroma of banana cake, sweet malt and alcohol. Taste is of wheat, banana cake and alcohol with a
mild astringency from the alcohol. A very, very enjoyable beer however. Much better than my weizenbock which is way too sweet and desparately not alcoholic
enough. Keep up the good work Chris.

What will be next?

21. superhero - Milk stout

This stout had to be on steroids it had so much body. A big thick deep dark brown head which lasted and lasted
For such a high alcohol beer it was not to over powering with anything. Very well balanced between bitterness, sweetness, dryness and roastiness
My father in law said and i quote " Shit that's a nice Stout "
I'm not a big fan of beers that you can taste the alcohol in but do love my stouts and this is an exceptional beer

Top stuff superhero

10. Haysie- Oatmeal Stout

First time i have tried an Oatmeal stout
Nice roasty aroma and the thing i remember the most about it was how creamy and smooth it was to drink ( is this due to the oatmeal ? ), flavour wasn't over powering. I think if someone wanted to try a stout for the first time, this is the style i would recommend because of the mild flavour and the smoothness.

Only downside is the lack of head, i assume this would be due to the oil in the oatmeal

Was this fermented with a dry yeast Haysie?

Thanks for the beers

2 excellent stouts

Rook

2 to go and they will be drunk tonight, numbers 6 & 22

Hello Brewers,

Not many to go now. I think I'm in the running for the slowest enjoyment of the case swap!

13, Citymorgue2's Honey Porter - Colour is dark brown. Carbonation is good. Aroma is sweet and there's a medium-high honey aroma.
Taste is sweet with a honey acidity and medium roast. Bitterness is medium-high and finish is bitter. Body is medium. All in all a very well crafted
and enjoyable beer. Top marks to you Citymorgue2. This is a stupid question but is there a Citymorgue1 on AHB? While we're on the questions.
What sort of honey did you use and how much? Apologies if you've submitted the recipe and I should've had a look at that. :)

On a personal note thankyou to all who have liked my milk stout and said nice things about it. It's my pleasure
to contribute it as part of the caseswap and might I say all the nice things said about it are making me a little
embarrassed. :wub:

Until next time.

10. Haysie- Oatmeal Stout

First time i have tried an Oatmeal stout
Nice roasty aroma and the thing i remember the most about it was how creamy and smooth it was to drink ( is this due to the oatmeal ? ), flavour wasn't over powering. I think if someone wanted to try a stout for the first time, this is the style i would recommend because of the mild flavour and the smoothness.

Only downside is the lack of head, i assume this would be due to the oil in the oatmeal

Was this fermented with a dry yeast Haysie?

Rook

2 to go and they will be drunk tonight, numbers 6 & 22

Missed this post.
Thanks for the feedback!
This was my first try at an oat, optimistic considering it was for a swap, nevertheless flying by the seat of my pants it turned out a fair beer. Brewday was a shitter for this beer due to the 700gms of oats, runoff`s were a trickle > temp`s were lost waiting for the drain yada yada. Hence the recipe was never posted. I/We did sample a few before I delivered. :chug:

Yeast was 1084 irish ale, and the basis of the recipe was was was ummm, a link from Newguy, his brew club in Canada (newsletter) im sure i have it somewhere.

Re, head retention, not sure if it would be the oily oats, I have played around with oats since, just finished an Aussie pale with some oats and sunraysia orange pith, the head was climbing out of the glass.
Was the beer carbed ok? I never trust those PET seals.

Haysie

Hi Everyone.

10. Haysie's Oatmeal Stout - Black in colour (of course!). Carbonation starts off well but is gone in a few minutes. Not a worry really. Aroma is sweet and roasty. Taste is medium roast, low malt, hop flavour and bitterness. Body is medium. A very easy to drink stout. I could drink this all day and not get into too much
trouble. Well done Haysie.

Only about 3 caseswap beers to go now.

Hi Everyone,

I'm almost finished my July case swap beers. I'd better hurry up and finish
before the Xmas Case Swap. I drank one and forgot what it was :-(

Tasted 6. Andreic's Irish Dry Stout yesterday

It was very dry indeed. Well done. Aroma was of roast and grains. Colour was black! Body was medium-low which is spot on and
carbonation was good. Taste was roasty with low malt and medium-low bitterness and low hop flavour. All in all a good quaffing
beer on a cold day.

Only one to go now!

Happy brewing.

13, Citymorgue2's Honey Porter -
This is a stupid question but is there a Citymorgue1 on AHB? While we're on the questions.
What sort of honey did you use and how much? Apologies if you've submitted the recipe and I should've had a look at that. :)

There's no citymorgue1 that im aware of. Its just a tag ive had for about 12 years.
It was 550g of blue gum honey. recipe link here. no worries.

It actually ended up slightly too bitter for a porter almost like a stout in terms of IBU. Not bad though. I had my last bottle of it the other week and it had certainly imrpoved with age. it was actually rather sad to see the last few drops be drunk.

There's no citymorgue1 that im aware of. Its just a tag ive had for about 12 years.
It was 550g of blue gum honey. recipe link here. no worries.

It actually ended up slightly too bitter for a porter almost like a stout in terms of IBU. Not bad though. I had my last bottle of it the other week and it had certainly imrpoved with age. it was actually rather sad to see the last few drops be drunk.

Hi Citymorgue2,

Thanks for the info. You obviously didn't have a problem with any eucalyptus flavours
from the flowers. Well done again on a tasty beer.

Now to the last beer from the swap (consumed a full 45 days before the Xmas Case Swap!)

1. Peel's Porter - Dark brown in colour, aroma of chocolate and grain. Ditto the flavour. Body was medium. Very easy to drink. Well done.

Looking forward to the Xmas swap at The Rook's place.

Latest posts

Back