VIC. 2015 Xmas in July - Recipe.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yob said:
I'll take some off your hands, I've quite a bit needed in my future... All the RIS I need to fill that ******* barrel ;)
No Sweat, baby! How much are you chasin?

manticle said:
Why would you acidify it if the pH is low?
A) I was considering that, since both his pre-mash and mid-mash pH was the same, 5.4, that there's a fair chance his pH meter is cactus. So if we're swinging naked in the breeze, i thought it might be worth considering chucking in a little acidulated - it seems to make little difference to a fairly acidified mash but seems to make a larger difference to mashes that are a bit high.
B ) I've found that i've had some improvement in efficiency in dropping my pH from 5.4 to 5.2, as calculated on the Bru'n Spreadsheet. So i thought given our likely lowered efficiency from such a huge mash, it could be worthwhile dropping the pH a bit more to regain some efficiency. Admittedly, my experience is derived from calculated pH's, whereas Martin's talking about actual measured pH's. However, i propose to you, good sir, that his meter is, in the Scottish vernacular, shite; and so we're kinda working with a guesstimate, a bit like a calculated spreadsheet.

So there, Mr Ex-Victorian! :p

But i'd also consider i don't know WTF i'm talking about, so maybe it's best not to screw around with it. ;)

manticle said:
Stop adding malts.
BOOOoooooo!!

[fwiw, i was just suggesting a minor sub so i can dispose of some midnight wheat. Not technically adding extra malts. Not really. Honest.]

Party pooper.

Techno - if the pH meter is not working and you are flying blind, surely measuring the pH with better equipment would be a better notion than willy nilly adding acid malt? I recommend some cacl2 as mentioned by b&t to get extra calcium and push malt profile. Have some acid (lactic, phosphoric, whatever) on hand. Add enough calcium salt to get 50ppm calcium, measure the pH 10 mins in and see if you need to add acid at all, otherwise leave it. Rb will acidify anyway.

As for malt additions - 1 maybe 2 malts for wee heavy is all that is needed. I'm going to tie your hands together with cotton tape. Midnight wheat? Acidulated?For shame, sir. For shame.

manticle said:
Techno - if the pH meter is not working and you are flying blind, surely measuring the pH with better equipment would be a better notion than willy nilly adding acid malt? I recommend some cacl2 as mentioned by b&t to get extra calcium and push malt profile. Have some acid (lactic, phosphoric, whatever) on hand. Add enough calcium salt to get 50ppm calcium, measure the pH 10 mins in and see if you need to add acid at all, otherwise leave it. Rb will acidify anyway.

As for malt additions - 1 maybe 2 malts for wee heavy is all that is needed. I'm going to tie your hands together with cotton tape. Midnight wheat? Acidulated?For shame, sir. For shame.
Meh
...mumble spoil sport mumble mumble...

In all seriousness, I was just throwing it out there. What you say makes sense and is the better way to go about it. It'd def be a good idea to test the pH if someone has a good meter - hell, it might be a great opportunity for the rest of us with cheap-arse meter to calibrate/test them against an accurate one.

Mardoo said:
Techno, I see a gimp mask in your future...
You say this before a gathering of 30-odd guys.
In the bush.
Up a mountain.
At night.
In the dead of winter.
With lots and lots of beer.
Where no one can hear you scream.

I'm feeling a little scared now...

technobabble66 said:
It'd def be a good idea to test the pH if someone has a good meter - hell, it might be a great opportunity for the rest of us with cheap-arse meter to calibrate/test them against an accurate one.
I've been thinking the same thing myself. My alarm bells went-off when I measured both our tank water & distilled water at pH 5.4, straight after I'd calibrated my meter with pH 7.0 & pH 4.0 buffer solutions. Unless the solutions themselves were "shite"?

Just checked the internets. Fwiw, pure distilled water can be around pH 5-6, because the only contaminants will be CO2 forming carbonic acid.

I thought you'd said it was 5.4 from the tap and in the *mash*, hence my assumption your meter was stuffed. If it's measuring 5.4 in tap and distilled water it might be fine (given your rain water tanks could be v similar to distilled if they're new).

whiteferret said:
Yob I thought you were joking about the side order. I was thinking of coming down to get the barrel and maybe going to KK to get a couple of bags of grain. You wouldn't be able to bring it and the barrel up to the swap would you please? If you had the room that is. I'd throw in some petrol money for the trip.
+(side order)
JWT 2
MO 4
Wayne, I don't think I'm brining any equipment at this point and just to confirm you need 6 bags to transport? I should be able to bring up 3 or 4 if you can get someone else to fit the rest. I'm coming up Saturday and should be there by lunch.

Techno - Thanks for checking that ('didn't know they were that short-lived). I couldn't see any manufactured or BB date on the bottles.

Yes, I checked both the tank & distilled water, then also the mash. All of them showed pH 5.4. Hence the alarm bells.

MB - Thanks for the offer, but I want to get everything well & truly underway before lunchtime Saturday. There's talk of doing a test-run the night before to iron out any bugs in the system.

MartinOC said:
MB - Thanks for the offer, but I want to get everything well & truly underway before lunchtime Saturday. There's talk of doing a test-run the night before to iron out any bugs in the system.
My mistake, I thought that was a side order separate to the bum mock brew. Carry on, nothing to see here.

@ Martin - thanks for the email, so this is the design you would would like but in tartan yeah?

gimp.jpg

Midnight Brew said:
My mistake, I thought that was a side order separate to the bum mock brew. Carry on, nothing to see here.
there is.

Order being placed tmoz, please confirm details.

Bummock
200kg Golden Promise

Side order:

Martin:
JW Trad 50kg
Simpsons MO 50kg

Yob
Briess Pale 25kg
JW Trad 25kg
JW Wheat 25kg

Yob, what's your thoughts on getting a bag of LDME as well (just in case we DO actually manage a parti-gyle & need to "boost" it a bit)?

If it doesn't actually get used, we could split it up & sell/raffle it off to whoever wants some.

I can add it if you wish.. I aint splitting it though ;)

What of the EKG for it, do yo want me to set that aside? I can bring a few other kilos for the gyle too if you'd like

OK, it's a plan. Ditto on the splitting.......

The "main" batch should only need the 1.5Kg of EKG pellets from a single addition. This beer is all about the malt.

If we manage a dump & boil second batch, we can expect anywhere from 10%-13% utilisation from the "spent" hops, so maybe having another half-Kg on hand would be enough (I'll have a play with Beersmith & see what I come-up with). We could hold some back & do a flavour/aroma addition since it's going to be a "small-beer" & might need a bit of extra character elsewhere in the profile.

Back