VIC. 2015 Xmas in July - Recipe.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
technobabble66 said:
You measure your water at pH 5.4?? You mean during the mash or just straight water? That's seriously low if it's out of the tap!
Is it worth throwing in a few 100g's of acidulated to ensure it's below 5.4 and keep a decent efficiency?
Both, mate. That's why I'm not confident with the readings I'm getting from my cheapie PH meter (I calibrated it just before taking the readings, too!).

If it IS indeed 5.4 out of the tap, adding acidulated malt will just drop it through the floor & the PH will drop more during the boil, remember....

I wouldn't be adding any MW to the recipe. It's got more complicated than I really intended already. If you don't want what you've got, bring it up with you & I'll swap you for something else on the day.

Water pH is a poor predictor of mash pH. The mineral contents of the water is what drives mash pH and I would assume that tank water would have low residual alkalinity. I would add some CaCl2, but don't think you will need any acidulated malt given the levels of Munich, Amber and RB.

MartinOC said:
I've just been having a play with some numbers in Beersmith & wanting to stay with easy numbers (ie. multiples of bags):

150Kg GP (80.4%)
25Kg JW Munich (13.4%)
10Kg JW Amber (5.4%)
1.5Kg JW Roast Barley (0.8%)
1.5Kg EKG Pellets (assumed 5%)

In a 500L batch, this should get us into the mid-1080's with around 30 IBU & 30 EBC.

Also, we need to give some consideration to water treatment, since we're on tank water & it's effectively a blank canvas. I've measured our tank water at PH 5.4, but not sure how accurate that is, 'cos I've always had about PH 5.2-5.4 in the mash. I suggest something in the 75-100ppm range Calcium, so I can make-up a "stock" solution of CaCl & add it @ 1:100.

How's everybody with that plan?
Its all available, ready to lock it in. (The base that is, the other still need to be sourced)

whiteferret said:
Yob I thought you were joking about the side order. I was thinking of coming down to get the barrel and maybe going to KK to get a couple of bags of grain. You wouldn't be able to bring it and the barrel up to the swap would you please? If you had the room that is. I'd throw in some petrol money for the trip.

+(side order)

JWT 2
MO 4
Im not sure I'll have the space mate, I rekon Im pushing what I can fit in the Subie now... unless I get a trailer but it wont have a cover..

You can always come down on the Thursday night or early Friday and assist with the collection? That actually may work better if it's possible.

Black n Tan said:
Water pH is a poor predictor of mash pH. The mineral contents of the water is what drives mash pH and I would assume that tank water would have low residual alkalinity. I would add some CaCl2, but don't think you will need any acidulated malt given the levels of Munich, Amber and RB.

we might do a scaled down version the night before to see where we are at, were looking at a re-iterated mash anyway, we could use the process as a feeler and get a gauge on what will be required for the big play

unless I get a trailer but it wont have a cover..
You know where you can get one ;)

my attendance is looking unlikely at this stage - but you're welcome to borrow the trailer again if you need it.

Make it so Mr Yob. Are you able to get the Munich bag as well, or is that in the "to be sourced" pile?

If you'd all like, I can bring my trailer down on the Friday & also bring-back the barrel as well, so you can put whatever else you want to bring in the Subie & Wayne can pick up the barrel from here? Then you can follow me back up the Mountain.....?

I also like the idea of a "test-run" (as long as we don't start too late......).

Sounds reasonable, might be worthwhile sorting out a equipment on site time so we can work back from that

Do we still need my 120l MT or are we going to use Idzys big banga?
just thinking I might need to bring a trailer yet.

What happens to the test run wort? Do we just run it out after the mash and strike with it in the morning or do we mashout and boil?

@ Martin, I'll get all the full bags of base

@Wayne, we're gunna keep it at mash temp all might, drain it an pump it as strike the following morning.

Dunno if your Mt is required, I'm not doing the equipment this one

technobabble66 said:
Recipe looks great, Martin! Happy to go with that.

Just a random "complicating" question:
I've got heaps of midnight wheat that I'm unlikely to use, ever. Is it possible to sub some of the RB with MW? I can cover a full 1.5kg, but I'm guessing we still need some RB in there. Given MW can be a bit more subtle, how about 1kg MW and 1kg RB?
Happy to forget this if it just sounds too risky for such a large batch. I know how you guys prefer to avoid risk...
Just make 30 cubes of my Rogers clone recipe, cmon you know you want to! ;)

technobabble66 said:
Recipe looks great, Martin! Happy to go with that.
Just a random "complicating" question:
I've got heaps of midnight wheat that I'm unlikely to use, ever. Is it possible to sub some of the RB with MW? I can cover a full 1.5kg, but I'm guessing we still need some RB in there. Given MW can be a bit more subtle, how about 1kg MW and 1kg RB?
Happy to forget this if it just sounds too risky for such a large batch. I know how you guys prefer to avoid risk...
I'll take some off your hands, I've quite a bit needed in my future... All the RIS I need to fill that ******* barrel ;)

technobabble66 said:
You measure your water at pH 5.4?? You mean during the mash or just straight water? That's seriously low if it's out of the tap!
Is it worth throwing in a few 100g's of acidulated to ensure it's below 5.4 and keep a decent efficiency?
technobabble66 said:
Why would you acidify it if the pH is low?
Anyone tell me to butt out since I handed in my victorian residency last week and am not attending. I still want to see you guys make good beer though. Stop adding malts.

manticle said:
Why would you acidify it if the pH is low?
Anyone tell me to butt out since I handed in my victorian residency last week and am not attending. I still want to see you guys make good beer though. Stop adding malts.
Butt-in all you want Manticle - you'll always be Victorian at heart :D
I answered Techno's query earlier about pH with my (already low) tank water & I agree with you completely. NFA required.

Now, since Yob is sourcing Golden Promise as the base, rather than JW, I REALLY don't think we need to add any other extra malts (after thinking about it a bit more, Manticle, I agree with you!), so I've done a re-jig of the recipe closer to the original one Yob scanned from the Classic Series:

200Kg Golden Promise (99%)
2Kg Roast Barley (1%)
1.5Kg EKG pellets (assumed 5%) for 60 mInutes

In 500L this should give us an OG of 1091, 27 IBU's & 30 EBC.

Could it be simpler?

The Scots are a very simple people (quite unlike the Irish :p ), given to excesses of alcohol consumption, gratuitous violence & eating sheep's bladders stuffed with all manner of nasty, icky things.....what do you expect???

Even after some of this goes to the Angels during barrel-ageing, I do believe it will still be a rather powerful drop.

The more I brew the more I realize all those annoying ***** were right. Simple almost always makes better beer. Almost ;)

GP FOR PM!!!

These are "straight" numbers about what we could achieve without making anything difficult for ourselves with a single batch on the day/weekend. I don't think a reiterated mash would change that. The numbers are the numbers....

If you guys want to try for a "slightly" lower OG on a first batch & then do a second-runnings "dump & boil" for a "Standard" (typical Scottish brewing technique), I'm sure we could make it happen with an early start. It would need an amount of "holding-tank" capacity that I haven't really considered & possibly a sack of LDME to make-up any perceived shortfall in OG. This is Scottish Brewing we're doing, eh, Jimmy! Cop that ye wee jobbie!

Maybe folks should bring an extra cube with them just in case we achieve it & just raffle it off? And as many boilers/burners/bottles as we can muster for "holding"...this IS a collaborative brewday, after all......

"If you never stretch the boundaries of what's possible, you'll never know what can be achieved".
Martin O'Connor- Brewer, armchair philosopher, raconteur, keeper of the keys, all-round good guy (with a bit of attitude to him.... -_- ).

MartinOC said:
Butt-in all you want Manticle - you'll always be Victorian at heart :D
I answered Techno's query earlier about pH with my (already low) tank water & I agree with you completely. NFA required.

Now, since Yob is sourcing Golden Promise as the base, rather than JW, I REALLY don't think we need to add any other extra malts (after thinking about it a bit more, Manticle, I agree with you!), so I've done a re-jig of the recipe closer to the original one Yob scanned from the Classic Series:

200Kg Golden Promise (99%)
2Kg Roast Barley (1%)
1.5Kg EKG pellets (assumed 5%) for 60 mInutes

In 500L this should give us an OG of 1091, 27 IBU's & 30 EBC.

Could it be simpler?

The Scots are a very simple people (quite unlike the Irish :p ), given to excesses of alcohol consumption, gratuitous violence & eating sheep's bladders stuffed with all manner of nasty, icky things.....what do you expect???

Even after some of this goes to the Angels during barrel-ageing, I do believe it will still be a rather powerful drop.
Looks excellent to me. Good, long solid boil + age will give all the complexity required.

Curly79 said:
I've got the "extra cubes" covered [emoji12]
Yes, you have indeed (jammy *******!!!).

Save that story for telling on the day & make everyone else weep!

Back