The Great Chinese Hop Buy 2009

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important announcement

If any bags get lost in the mail, unlikely as they all got here ok and none were eaten by the PO gremlins, however:

In the case of the express satchels, the 'sender' slip should have been detached and kept by you, even though I'm theoretically the 'sender', and if the goods don't arrive then Aus post have a unique key to search for it. About half of the buyers kept the slip for themselves. good. However the other half did not and the PO stuck them on a card and gave them back to me today.

bag_slips__Large_.jpg

Of course many of us have never used these bags before and didn't know the protocol. Im just as guilty myself when using this product now and again. As the lassie at the PO says, if one of the bags on this card goes astray they could trace it but it will take some poor old PO employee to go through every number on the card to double check. She said next time to print out a list and for ME (or whoever does the job) to stick the slips next to each person. Next buy we'll nail it down and it should be very simple, just didn't occur to us as we were inventing this first exercise as it unfolded.

So if your stock does get eaten by gremlins it may take a wee while to resolve the issue. Just thought I'd point out the situation.

Cheers

:icon_cheers:

edit: based on the performance of Aus Post so far in this exercise I think losses would be most unlikely. In many ways they are a dinosaur but they are a pretty good dinosaur :lol:

edit: based on the performance of Aus Post so far in this exercise I think losses would be most unlikely. In many ways they are a dinosaur but they are a pretty good dinosaur :lol:

Well I'm impressed, and then again NOT!!!!!!

Fancy getting accross and delivered in Perth the next day, BUT my bloody hops only had to travel up the road, and still haven't come. It will take two days at least from experience, if not three

Craftbrewer

edit, BUT I'm used to that, the price you pay to live in paradise

My hops haven't arrived yet.

How do I cross reference that parcel have (or have not) been delivered?

bit

Received my hops! Thanks to Graham, Bribie, Chappo and the other QLD guys for packing. I was that excited I didnt have my "in the door" beer until about 15 mins later! There was a small hole in one of the inner bags and a few leaked out. No biggy. Those Cascade do have an oniony aroma dont they...and thats coming from a smoker who cant smell shit!
Cheers
Steve

Edit....Oh and thanks for my $6 refund!

My hops haven't arrived yet.

How do I cross reference that parcel have (or have not) been delivered?

bit
I'd give it another day, they were sent from an outer outer Brisbane local post office. The package does say guaranteed next day delivery like 'the cheque is in the mail'. ;) I'm sure you will be right.

My hops arrived cheers guys!!

Ok so these are the two main nozzle system vaccum sealers that are avaliable on ebay.

The Packing Centre

Seal and Pack

Which is the best? or are they much and muchness?.... both have a 12 month warrenty and 7 day return deal.

Ok so these are the two main nozzle system vaccum sealers that are avaliable on ebay.

The Packing Centre

Seal and Pack

Which is the best? or are they much and muchness?.... both have a 12 month warrenty and 7 day return deal.

guys, I dont know personally, BUT

DONT GO BIDDING AGAINST EACH OTHER

If you going for it, organise here who goes for each one (yes there are more than One), so that you get them at a cheaper price. After each one closes they relist another.

Think smart

Craftbrewer

2 parcels waiting on the table for me today!! The Mrs couldn't wait for me to get em out of the kitchen :D

Thanks to Graham, Chappo, Bribie, and the packers for all their top work :beer:

Smooth As!

Hit the supplier up for a bulk buy ??? :p

EDIT...Just sent both ebay sellers a message asking if they are keen to do a deal on say 50+ units....we'll see what happens.

The Packing Centre

Seal and Pack

They both seem to be the exact same unit but one is BIN $99 and the other is Starting Bid $99 :blink:

The Packing Centre

Seal and Pack

I have the one from the Packing Centre, and it works a treat. It uses cheaper bags which aren't the channel bags, but they work just as well. Need to wiggle the packaging a little bit while its vacuuming to make sure all the air is sucked out, but it ends up a pretty solid little brick of a package at the end of it...

Thank you Graham Sanders for I completely felt like a drug dealer with my scales, aroma galore, and huffing dust from the Saaz like no tomorrow before weighing out my green goodies on digital scales before vacuum sealing them.

PS I don't mind the Saaz, it may not be noble but Ive smelled worse stuff than this from brewcraft packs which I got in an emergency when my favourite HBS was closed. I FEAR NO HOPS :) It smells like it will still make a good lager hop to me.

A personal thank you to all the S.QLD hop packers, I appreciate the effort and the weights are spot on.

And I am glad that I got 1 kilo of every hop on offer. If i wanted true nobles I would have gone to the LHBS. This is not about true nobles but about getting to try something in you life others have not and you may never again. I am deinitely in the Euro variety bulk buy an you can put me down for a kilo of everything on offer.

I already posted the SINBO sealer links so I won't repeat but use search if you want to find which store had the cheaper SINBO an the other is for bags. I got the thickest aluminium deposit on Mylar bags so try are expensive but huge so I can cut them in thirds and they make long hop bags that can be reused through the next five or six years of hop bulk buys so the cost comes down considerably going with the best.

Cheers again and can't wait to get brewing!

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

THE GREAT CHINESE HOP BUY 2009

HOPS THAT ARE AVAILABLE

Elimnatural seems to provide a good range of hop products including oils. However we are restricting this order to T90 hop pellets.

T90 hops pellets are the common pellets we buy as brewers. They are simply cut up and pressurised into pellets. They vacumn packed into O2 barrier bags for shipping.

Typical anaylsis supplied by Elimnatral

Technology Index

T-90 Hop pellet
Incomplete pellets are less than 4%. Dissolved time is less than 10 seconds.
Humidity content: 7.0%-9.0%

This compare very faviourable with other manufacturers arround the world. We can only order 10 kg bags, and will affect how you order (see Ordering).

TYPES OF HOPS

Here are the five types of hops you can order

Product
SAAZ aroma hop pellets(SA-1) (T-90)

Specification
a acids: 2.0%-4.0% -Acids: 2.0%-4.0%

Package
10KG /aluminum foil bag (vacuum)

Shipment
15 days within confirmations of payment

Specification
a-Acids>6.5% -Acids>3.5%

Package
10KG/aluminum foil bag (vacuum)

Shipment

Specification
a-Acids>12% -Acids>3.0%

Package
10KG/aluminum foil bag (vacuum)

Shipment

Specification
a-Acids <4.5% B-Acids 4.0-6.0 %
Package 10kg Aluminium Foil Bag (vacumn)

Shipment
15 days within confirmation of payment

Specifications
UNKNOWN

Graham L Sanders
craftbreweratbeagle.com.au
(07) 47734652
Skype "craftbrewer"

Graham, were these the final AA%'s?

If you lot want a simple airtight method to store the hops, I use glass jam jars (after of course you eat the jam).

They hold a 100grams or so, so you put your hops in those, add a tiny pinch of Sodium Met (yes we know the stuff) and seal. The Sodium Met will take up all the O2, and presto, and O2 free storage vessel

Craftbrewer

Hi Graham, can you give me a reference for this method, A quick search suggests it might give off some type of Sulphur Gas?
Could this taint the hops?

Could the same method be used for yeast as well?

Definitely sounds better (cheaper) than a vacuum sealer

Cheers

+1 thanks for townsville for organising and BribieB and all other the packers. My first bulk buy and couldn't be happier.

SWMBO received a look ( <_< ) from the postman so the aroma was certainly there. Can't wait to try the new range of Chinese Pale Ales (CPAs?).

Graham, were these the final AA%'s?

Steve - I know they were posted somewhere, b ut I can't find them at the moment. Craftbrewer website has them as:
Cascade: 5.8%
Saaz: 4.3%
Marco Polo: 12.0%
Nugget: ?
Cluster: ?

Well I'm impressed, and then again NOT!!!!!!

Fancy getting accross and delivered in Perth the next day, BUT my bloody hops only had to travel up the road,

Craftbrewer

edit, BUT I'm used to that, the price you pay to live in paradise
And maybe boat!!!!
And also if the outboard motor on the boat plays up, Australia Post will have to use oars to row to your front door, and that'll take even more time. If they send the next lot by plane maybe you could get them to chuck yours out on a parachute while their flying over! :lol:

Make sure its a good quality parachute first though!

My hops arrived at work about 10 mins after I did today, so whacked them in the freezer, and had a good sniff at lunch time. All looks and smells good to me, gonna do me a triple or quad brew weekend this weekend as I'm sans SWMBO for a fortnight, and sans full kegs!

Thanks again to all involved in the ordering and packing, big cheers to you all!

Oh, and the refund was great as well.

And thanks to Chappo for my "special message" on the satchel.... <_<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back