The Great Chinese Hop Buy 2009

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this is O/T but what's the go with home vacuum sealer's? Any recommendations? I looked into one but the actual cost of the bags was very prohibitive (looked like about 80c a bag). Or are they reusable or something?
they should be reuseable. I reuse mine.

mark,

there seems to be two main types out there. the ones that use the special "channel" type bags (VPS type i think) and the standard type which will seal most other types of bag. (DX or something)

the channel type bags are the dear ones. hence i opted for the other type which basically works on the principle of a flat tube probe thing that sucks the air out, then when your done you press down hard and the tube snaps back and the unit seals the bag before you unclamp it and take it out. ive sealed all sorts of bags with mine, even thinner, ziplock types with no problems.

got mine from ebay from a mob called seal and pack, came with 100 or so bags too.

Not sure if this is O/T but what's the go with home vacuum sealer's? Any recommendations? I looked into one but the actual cost of the bags was very prohibitive (looked like about 80c a bag). Or are they reusable or something?

THIS seems to be a good deal from the comparing around I have done so far...

If you lot want a simple airtight method to store the hops, I use glass jam jars (after of course you eat the jam).

They hold a 100grams or so, so you put your hops in those, add a tiny pinch of Sodium Met (yes we know the stuff) and seal. The Sodium Met will take up all the O2, and presto, and O2 free storage vessel

Craftbrewer

Nice to see the Chinese feedback, but a little surprised they appear to be admitting the aroma/taste of what they sent us is inferior to stock they could have sent us! You'd think they'd be trying to impress with the 1st shipment.

Cheers Ross.
The way I read it was that the supplier wasn't sure of the comparative quality when shipped. Rather, that fedback from other buyers has been more complimentary to the Saaz you didn't receive.

Well AusPost managed to deliver my hops to the wrong house. Luckily my neighbour walked out her front door this morning and found the package, smelled the contents and figured I'd need it to brew the beer that she drinks.

Thanks to all concerned for organising the finer details, paperwork, dealing with the headaches, packaging, etc etc...

I posted a link to a machine that can put a vacuum on said jam jars. Quite impressed with the seal, have had a few jars in the fridge for a week or more, and had more difficulty opening with the vacuum I applied with the device than when originally opening it from the store. Once you prepare a lid it is reusable, just need a few pumps with this machine after closing it and good to go again. Is called a Pump-n-Seal.

Did the marshmallow thing too, SWMBO was quite impressed with how much they puffed up before she devoured the rest of the pack.

If you lot want a simple airtight method to store the hops, I use glass jam jars (after of course you eat the jam).

They hold a 100grams or so, so you put your hops in those, add a tiny pinch of Sodium Met (yes we know the stuff) and seal. The Sodium Met will take up all the O2, and presto, and O2 free storage vessel

Craftbrewer

Well AusPost managed to deliver my hops to the wrong house. Luckily my neighbour walked out her front door this morning and found the package, smelled the contents and figured I'd need it to brew the beer that she drinks.

Thanks to all concerned for organising the finer details, paperwork, dealing with the headaches, packaging, etc etc...

And me stuck at work... I just want to get home and check the letterbox.

Sounds like a great neighbour, mine complains about the smell. :D

I might ring the other one and get him to check the letterbox. And describe, in full, stinky detail, the possible package. :icon_drool2:

mine arrived, good work to all you negociants and packers, I hope you all got some free hops out of it,

Can't really afford that much, I was looking more at the $40 range to be honest.

Thats pretty much identical to mine, only paid $90 odd delivered with free bags though. Worth checking ebay for deals.

Mattese yours went off in the afternoon van yesterday for reasons we know about so it's well on its way.

:icon_cheers:

Just received the hops, and I vacuum sealed them and put them in the freezer :)

+1

I was very surprised to get mine so quick.
I live about 80 km outside Perth and this is first time I've ever received an express parcel from interstate the day after it was posted!
I think it must be because they were posted so early in the day on Monday. Its gotta help the hops not being in Australia Post's possession longer than necessary. The other possibility of course is that they were stinking the depot out and they just wanted to get rid of them quick, a sort of super special express delivery :lol: .

Vacuum sealer worked great, the bags are super tough & washable & re-usable. Also great for storing speciality grains that you don't use too much of at once. I just ordered 50 22 cm x 30 cm bags off ebay for $27 delivered, this size is good for about 1 kg of grain, hops, etc.

Thanks again everyone :icon_cheers: .

Walked into the PO this afternoon with a parcel to post to Altstart (I'd inadvertently stolen his scales and jug on Sunday) and the girls behind the counter were looking desperately for a door or window to leap out of :p

The car still stinks of hops but I quite like it now. SWMBO is unimpressed.

Walked into the PO this afternoon with a parcel to post to Altstart (I'd inadvertently stolen his scales and jug on Sunday) and the girls behind the counter were looking desperately for a door or window to leap out of :p

The car still stinks of hops but I quite like it now. SWMBO is unimpressed.

If your beer turns out lacking in aroma you could always go and drink it in the car :lol:

My package arrived this morning - 4 kg of Hoppy goodness for raven and 3G to brew with!!!

Threw them straight into the freezer, will brew with them later this week for sure.

Thanks again to all the packers and GS again! :)

Chalk another notch up for aus post, my hops are here and now like most im looking for a vacuum sealer

Thanks to all who helped and coordinated

Kleiny

My 3kg arrived today. Thanks to all involved for all the time and effort that went into the bulk buy.
Cheers
ampy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back