The Great Chinese Hop Buy 2009

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's mine, all packed ready for the freezer.

Took me a while to work out what the Z by itself was, until I turned the bag 90degrees N

6kg of Chinese goodness
PIC1.JPG

Only problem is I had better get brewing

pic2.jpg
to give you an idea of scale, that's the freezer on my 380L kegerator

QldKev

Steve - I know they were posted somewhere, b ut I can't find them at the moment. Craftbrewer website has them as:
Cascade: 5.8%
Saaz: 4.3%
Marco Polo: 12.0%
Nugget: ?
Cluster: ?

Thanks Kaiser. Very different from the post I posted. Can someone please point me in the direction of propery AA%'s so I can label my individual baggies? Oh and Petebrewer, expect a PM about your vacuum sealer!!!
Cheers
Steve

Thanks Kaiser. Very different from the post I posted. Can someone please point me in the direction of propery AA%'s so I can label my individual baggies? Oh and Petebrewer, expect a PM about your vacuum sealer!!!
Cheers
Steve
One of Townsville's posts had these details:

Chinese hops

the production date is : October 16, 2009
Hops are new harvest this year
SAAZ 4.3%
CASCADE 5.8%
CLUSTER 6.5%~6.8%
MARCO POLO 12%
NUGGET 11-13%

PB

Hi Graham, can you give me a reference for this method, A quick search suggests it might give off some type of Sulphur Gas?
Could this taint the hops?

Could the same method be used for yeast as well?

Definitely sounds better (cheaper) than a vacuum sealer

Cheers

I think using dry ice to purge the oxygen might work? Dump a wee bit of dry ice in the jar, then add the hops, partially screw the lid on until the dry ice has evapourated then screw the lid on tight, I reckon that would purge the oxygen leaving just CO2. I read about doing something similar a while ago to store grain in garbage bins.

One of Townsville's posts had these details:

Chinese hops

the production date is : October 16, 2009
Hops are new harvest this year
SAAZ 4.3%
CASCADE 5.8%
CLUSTER 6.5%~6.8%
MARCO POLO 12%
NUGGET 11-13%

PB

Thanks very much PB. I'll go with that.
Cheers
Steve

My hops arrived this afternoon - are all sealed and in the freezer, thank you to all involved in the hop buy for the great work! The entertainment provided by the thread was worth the cost of the hops!
The hops looked and smelled fine to me, but I'm only new to this game :).

Haha. Any comments from your workmates?

Only because I'm still stinging from the last grain Bulk Buy where my half-sack of Smoked Malt had in a nice permanent marker "because you like smoking cock, Nick you Homo!), I hid the satchel in the freezer quicktime. They may appreciate the humour, or like me, plot against the *******... Something along the lines of "inflatable sex goat enclosed" is the go I think... I know how well that went down with the missus.... :ph34r:

Cheers!

PS: Chappo, I'm hiding your hops up the bums of my three chooks. Should be nice and brown by now :p

Do any of the packers know where my hops ended up? They ain't here? :(
Can't help, sorry. Did anyone chuck them in a fridge for you?

Only because I'm still stinging from the last grain Bulk Buy where my half-sack of Smoked Malt had in a nice permanent marker "because you like smoking cock, Nick you Homo!), I hid the satchel in the freezer quicktime. They may appreciate the humour, or like me, plot against the *******... Something along the lines of "inflatable sex goat enclosed" is the go I think... I know how well that went down with the missus.... :ph34r:

Cheers!

PS: Chappo, I'm hiding your hops up the bums of my three chooks. Should be nice and brown by now :p

You enjoy my little love notes Nick!

@Winkle no not there just ones for Turkey head brewing....

I am hoping Bribie grabbed them by mistake?? :(

Damn aust post. No hops waiting for me :(

I'm currently doing an all Chinese Saaz international lager, coming up to the boil now. I suppose at the end of the day if the Chinese hop can be used as a base hop for bittering and most of the flavour, then maybe a plug or some pellets of Euro Saaz should round out the rest of the flavour and aroma - the Chinese stuff is still going to do good service as a workhorse at minimal cost.

Agree 100% - that was always my plan for the Chinese Saaz, use for first and second additions then some nice fresh Euro plugs at the end.
I will do a SMASH pilsner though for the first brew - just to get an idea of how bad/good they really are.

Oops just realised I haven't posted for a while here - Kudos to all involved for getting the hops in , split and delivered.
I opened mine and found an envelope with some gold coins in it too - should have been a red envelope though guys to
keep the Chinese theme :lol:

My Cascade broke open I the satchel. It was ok as I could pour the satchel into a bowl. However if the other bags broke it would be a ruined bulk buy as they would all be mixed hops.

Get better bags next bulk buy. I wouldn't miss an extra gold coin or two in refund for getting no bag breakages.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Sorry Mark, not trying to slander you as a tightarse, but you would have to admit postal costs do eat into the value of the deal. The local packing sessions in the future should help a bit if a sensible and orderly method of local pickup can be put in place.

Yes, thanks for reminding me. Most of the Cascade came in the silver sacks like the rest, but one mystery bag was a 20k job, white plastic with green Chinese lettering. As you may remember we couldn't identify them so called them 'the mystery hop' and waited to see which variety ran out first. Sure enough the Cascade ran out first so we then bagged the mystery hop. Right at the end of the bagging someone noticed that right on the bottom of the bag where you would never have thought of looking was a label "CASCADE" :lol: :lol:
So definitely that batch was from another source. Anyone order number 90 and above who ordered Cascade would have got them. Damn should have kept a few pellets of each aside for closer inspection later.

That would be the cascade I got Bribie, not sure if I'll use it yet, I'm going to get a few more opinions before I commit 4 hrs of my time on a brew, it looks and smells very old. Did the crush and sniff and hop tea thing today with it and am pretty suss.

cheers

Browndog

Looks like my hops have been shared amongst everybody. My order never got made up... :angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back