The Great Chinese Hop Buy 2009

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find Saaz a non intrusive aroma at the best of times, so no surprises there. Also remember the higher Alpha acid hops will appear to be more moist than the lower AA% varieties, its just the way it is. More lupulin = more soft and sticky.Color comparison is no indication as most hops are of differing shades and hues of green. But if its brown flush it down. It will take me about one minute to work out what condition these hops are in when I get my hands on some.Possibly lots of Lambics coming up soon?
GB

From an aroma point of view all our staff voted the Saaz worse than the Cascade.

cheers Ross

Just about to cube my all-Saaz Pale Pilsener International Style so lets see how it ferments out, and I'll bring a sample to the January BABBs meeting. :icon_cheers:

Edit: the next brew will be an exact copy of my XXX but using Chinese Cluster rather than Australian Cluster, so then we'll see how the cow sits in the cabbage patch.

I find Saaz a non intrusive aroma at the best of times, so no surprises there. Also remember the higher Alpha acid hops will appear to be more moist than the lower AA% varieties, its just the way it is. More lupulin = more soft and sticky.Color comparison is no indication as most hops are of differing shades and hues of green. But if its brown flush it down. It will take me about one minute to work out what condition these hops are in when I get my hands on some.Possibly lots of Lambics coming up soon?
GB
Spot on with the Marco Polo. Very sticky, smaller pellets and broke apart easily. The aroma on the other varieties were subdued but to me nothing underwhelming, I've done well with beers with the hops from the freezer that shared a similar level of aroma.

I guess Ross will be the first to provide flavour feedback as he got his beer down first, so will be good to see the feedback rolling in.

After using the Cascade yesterday I think "subdued" is the best description. It's certainly not as powerful as the US variety in aroma and initial taste tests suggests the citrus flavour isn't anywhere near as dominant. However, I have a cube ready to ferment this week as the "proof is in the pudding" so to speak. I'll end up using 120g for the brew (inc 30 dry hopped) although the usage is heavier than normal the cost is a lot less.

My hops just arrived in Melbourne, thanks to all involved

I will be brewing a pilsner in next couple of days, won't be able to give my verdict for a month or so !

Andy

has anyone got a few pellets and smashed them up in their hands by rubbing them together? thats the touted method to release hop aroma and accurately asses it. (well so BYO mag says).

if andytork has received his today i should be getting mine also. will have a smell etc tonight when i vaccume pack mine (and Maple's if im feeling generous ;) )

After using the Cascade yesterday I think "subdued" is the best description. It's certainly not as powerful as the US variety in aroma and initial taste tests suggests the citrus flavour isn't anywhere near as dominant. However, I have a cube ready to ferment this week as the "proof is in the pudding" so to speak. I'll end up using 120g for the brew (inc 30 dry hopped) although the usage is heavier than normal the cost is a lot less.

All good as long as you don't get any vegetal/grassy notes comeing in due to the increased amount used to get the same bang for your buck.

cheers

Browndog

Hop packing codes

When your hops arrive, it may be a bit hard to sort out which is which so look carefully at the pack before ripping apart and you should see the following scrawled on the pack:

• Marco Polo MP
  • Saaz SZ
  • Cascade C
  • Cluster CL
  • Nugget N

:icon_cheers:

If you should see CZ on a pack, it was probably me, I was obviously daydreaming about Pilsner Urquell and put CZ (Czech Republic) by mistake. :blink:

Got my 4 x 1kg packs just delivered. Two are marked SZ & MP but the other two (Saaz and Cluster) have no markings on them at all. Any idea which could be what??

Cheers, Hoges.

Got my 4 x 1kg packs just delivered. Two are marked SZ & MP but the other two (Saaz and Cluster) have no markings on them at all. Any idea which could be what??

Cheers, Hoges.

Sorry about that. You ordered 2 Saaz fortunately, the Cluster is a bit more citrussy and stronger in aroma, if you put the 4 together you should definitely be able to pick the difference. I've got Cluster and Saaz and they are quite different.

Note for next hop buy: get bigger better marking pens and tough poly bags and a heat sealer :) A work in progress.

Hogan check around the top of the bag mate. There maybe marking there.

Checked and double checked Chappo. Both bags are devoid of marking.

Cheers, Hoges.

My Cascade, Saaz, and Macro Polo arrived minutes ago. Thanks to Graham, Chappo, Bribie, and the packers for all their work.

The bag of Saaz came free with an extra hole - no problem really, but I would agree with suggestions for looking into a more substantial bag for next time.

Speaking of Feedback, thanks to all who put in their 2 cents worth

Changes I am going to make to future hop buys include

1. Under 300kg lots, I will centralise the packing. This seems to be the number where its no real strain to packers, BUT above this it becomes A BIG JOB. Too big. Over 300kg and I will decentralise, having packing centres in each major area (depending where the buys are coming come. That will make it easy at the pickup from the wharf, just cut and send in bulk big boxes , only about $1.50 a kilo. Then people can work out how to send them at distribution centres (mind you a lot more work for little ol me.)

2. Prepaid satchels was a hit. Yes it cost a little more, BUT all agree it saves a heap of effort. It will be suggested those wanting mailing out, will have to have the stachels in before the order. We did not do this first time arround, as we just didn't know if we would get the hops, BUT the hop supplier is solid, so no worries there. Packers NEED to be aware anywhere where a 3kg satchel is uses, and the order is 3 kg, UNDERPACK the satchel. Ross was right, Auspost wont send even if its 1.6 grams over (we found that out)

3. An extra kilo of each will be ordered. might add 10 cents a kilo to orders. This is to avoid some-one getting dust. As much as packers can be careful, dust does build up. This should avoid that.

4. general procedures and advice remain the same - no complaints

5. Sourcing hops - China is taking all feedback seriously, and we will get a new source of Saaz at least IF THE CURRENT ONE DOES NOT MEASURE UP

6. Costing - remains the same, some of you may get a little surprise. The budget I put up remains pretty good. No need to change that

I am enjoying the banter all

Craftbrewer

Checked and double checked Chappo. Both bags are devoid of marking.

Cheers, Hoges.

Have put the bags to the nose test and pretty satisfied that this is sorted.

Cheers, Hoges.

Just picked mine up in Sydney. Complete with strange look from post office guy, could smell them a mile away I reckon - even thru the Aus Post satchel....

IMAG0050.jpg

2. Prepaid satchels was a hit. Yes it cost a little more, BUT all agree it saves a heap of effort.

Who does it save effort for? Have you fully considered the alternatives? Is it even worth giving feedback?

Who does it save effort for? Have you fully considered the alternatives? Is it even worth giving feedback?

He probaably implies that they are pre filled out. I hate writing names and addresses on chistmas cards, let alone 200 odd packs of parcels!

He probaably implies that they are pre filled out. I hate writing names and addresses on chistmas cards, let alone 200 odd packs of parcels!

You got it, You try to write all those names and get them right, PLUS the satchels all being about the same made the packing day simple.

Craftbrewer

Well common mate

Feedback only works IF YOU GIVE SUGGESTIONS. If you already have do it again. I am all ears, as well as a big BIG nose.

For instance, When I go to distribution centres, well the central person there can choose his own method of course.

Craftbrewer

It's okay mate, I will not be giving any further opinions on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back