The Great Chinese Hop Buy 2009

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing to do with the USA - It's because it stops people being charged for the next postage rate up the scale. Auspost go up in 500gm increments.
therefore we couldn't pack 500gms in a 500gm satchel. Our business was 100% hops at the start, so designed the packaging to minimise freight.

Cheers Ross

Makes sense, I too thought it would have had something to do with the lbs and ozs, but I guess ya learn something new every day :icon_cheers:

Cheers

Ross, I did some digging on this and didn't locate much. Can you post the details of your discovery so those interested can also have a read?

Thanks
Croz

Friends in the trade Croz, after I had the same lack of success searching online.

Cheers Ross

Nearly half way with the emails received for my addy. :beerbang:

Keep them coming, however I'm off to work shortly so you won't necessarily get a reply till tomorrow morning, but no screaming hurry at this stage. However it will be good to get all satchels received and collated by the end of the coming week.

cheers

BribieG

Now a vacunm sealer I think is right out of the question.??????????

Shout
Craftbrewer
:icon_offtopic:
For those people who might want to vacuum seal them when they arrive at their home, I was in Jaycar Electronics today and they had these vacuum sealers & bags. The bags have a ziplock seal at the top and a valve on the side, the price is good and might be better than just storing them in freezer bags. If I hadn't bought a VC the other week I'd have got one myself.

productLarge_13127.jpg
Vacuum Bag Sealer

Keep food fresher for longer. Seal your goodies in the reusable bag and use the powerful pump to suck it off and vacuum seal the goodness in. Ideal for freezing or food drying. The bags have a nifty one-way valve that provides an airtight seal.

Three bags are included and spares are available in packets of 10: Cat No. GH-1343.

Reduces plastic bag waste
Requires 6 x AA batteries
Measures: 270(L)mm QTY 1+ $24.95

Spare Vacuum Bags for GH-1342

productLarge_13128.jpg

IMPORTANT UPDATE

PLEASE FILL OUT ALL DETAILS ON THE SATCHEL BEFORE SENDING - The whole idea of this is to save the packers time.

Craftbrewer
Graham L Sanders

Hi Graham

While addressing my satchels at the post office today I noticed that Michael will have to have his details on them when he posts them off. While he has to sign them himself I just thought I'd point out that everyone can fill his address details in for him. Only mentioning this in case people haven't thought about doing it.

cheers :icon_cheers:

Hi Graham

While addressing my satchels at the post office today I noticed that Michael will have to have his details on them when he posts them off. While he has to sign them himself I just thought I'd point out that everyone can fill his address details in for him. Only mentioning this in case people haven't thought about doing it.

cheers :icon_cheers:

Thanks for pointing this out. Pity I've already sent the satchel. Sorry for any inconvenience Michael.

If you're looking in to ways of efficiently marking off what hops are in which bag, how about buying some printable labels seeing as you already know how much of each hop is already being ordered. Means peel and stick on the day even better you can use them to seal off the top of the bag.

I too noticed the senders details had to be completed on the satchel when I sent mine from Penshurst PO this morning.

I didn't want to put BribieG's details on it in case that wasn't what was wanted :)

Maybe a bunch of printed sticky labels might save some handwriting, depends how picky the PO is these days.

I'm sure it will get sorted, Cheerz Wabster

Thanks for suggestions guys, I'm bumping the thread now and will ask buyers to put my details in the 'sender' box on the satchels so hopefully I won't have to write too much, you wouldn't want to know about my handwriting! We'll most likely be packing the hops in the same format as CraftBrewer send out their kilos of Crystal Malt etc with a texta note on the 'flap' like they do - don't have facilities to print stick on labels and the bags are going to be strictly temporary for most users I guess (I'm lining up some tupperware type freezer containers for myself, for example). Or I saw that ALDI have sucker vacuum things for sealing salami slices etc etc so might even go that route. That's up to each purchaser.

We've got nearly all the procedures for the day nailed down now, sail on fair ship :icon_cheers:

Aus Post Satchels are now being received and collated. (Bump)

For postal address to send your self addressed Australia Post Satchel(s) to please email me at:

[email protected]

In your email Please state the following essential info:
  • your "nick" as stated on the purchase list, e.g BribieG, fatgodzilla etc.
  • your real name as appearing on the bag, as I wouldn't have a clue who Horace Prendergast is whatever
Pls don't PM me to avoid inbox overflows, flood control etc.
As I receive the bags I'll acknowledge by email and also, on this thread, later on in the week, post a progressive list of the ones I have NOT YET received.
To ensure you get the full weight - bearing in mind that Aus Post can be picky if it goes over a few grams - the bag or bags you will need to send are:

Hop order: bag size

1k - 3kg
2k - 3kg
3k - 5kg
4k - 5kg
5k - 5kg plus a 3kg

etc.
You get the idea

Look forward to them getting here from tomorrow onwards

When sending the satchels you will be pleasantly surprised to find that one of them, folded neatly, will fit nicely into an ordinary el cheapo envelope, a bit like the TARDIS. So won't cost you much to send. To save me writers cramp could you please enter my name and address in the 'sender' box of the satchel as I will be the official sender when it travels back to you and will provide a central point in case your satchel can't be delivered, for example if you have been rushed off to jail or succumbed to Ebola whatever. :icon_cheers:

Progress report:

72 Emails received so far and replied to with my address.

The master list has now been entered into an Access Database and a packing slip generated for your order. On receipt of your satchel(s) your packing slip will be attached and the satchel/packing slip pair will accompany your hops along the packing line on the day, and the packing slip will be put in the satchel as well for your information / confirmation. I'd like to get the satchels and packing slips collated before the end of the week, so would appreciate getting satchels at your earliest convenience. Then they can all be shipped to the packing venue.

screenshot.JPG

To ensure quality control on packing day, all the hops will be carefully packed into tough polythene (not flimsy freezer) 1kg bags as stage one. At this stage we intend to heat seal them but no vacuum extract, as they will only be in the bags for a couple of days.

Then picking and dispatch can commence. By not packing 'on the fly' we can ensure the best possible quality of pellet 'integrity' across the orders so nobody will end up with a packet of dust.

Will keep you posted:

Cheers
BribieG
:icon_chickcheers:

Stirling effort Bribie
Cheers
Steve

BribieG,

Quick question about the express post parcel envelope. I'm assuming you will be signing the Aviation Security Decleration? Otherwise it WILL NOT be sent via air.

Cheers! :icon_cheers:

EDIT:

Note to those of you sending 5KG parcel bags. If the letter is over 5mm thick or over 50g, i was advised by the post office you will require a $1.10 stamp or the larger size pre-paid envelope. I think its C5 and costs $1.30, just so you are aware. The 3kg might be a little easier to squeeze into a smaller envelope. The 5kg ones, signifigantly harder.

I stuck two stamps on to be sure...glad I did now as the envelope was around 10mm thick with the 5kg bag stuck inside...

I've found in the past that without a signature, Aust Post won't take the parcel...but the signature can be as simple as your scribbled initials ;)

I've found in the past that without a signature, Aust Post won't take the parcel...but the signature can be as simple as your scribbled initials ;)

I'll leave the scribble to BribieG, was i dont want him sending C4 with my John Handcock on it! ;)

Sending it unsigned.

Anyone know what the policy is where you go over the limit? I sent my 5kg bag in a standard 55c envelope. Will they just send it, will they contact me (based on the return address) and ask me to cough up the extra 55c or (and I hope not) will they just chuck it out?

Anyone know what the policy is where you go over the limit? I sent my 5kg bag in a standard 55c envelope. Will they just send it, will they contact me (based on the return address) and ask me to cough up the extra 55c or (and I hope not) will they just chuck it out?

Sometimes they return to you, sometimes they give the receiver a card saying they have to cough up $x to get their underpaid mail.

I was advised by the person at my post office to use a $1.10 stamp, so that's what I used.

Sometimes they return to you, sometimes they give the receiver a card saying they have to cough up $x to get their underpaid mail.

I was advised by the person at my post office to use a $1.10 stamp, so that's what I used.

And an update for everyone. My satchel arrived safe and sound, so it is possible to get a 5kg satchel in a normal envelope and still be within the rules. That said, it is probably safest just to double up the postage.

8 bags received today, one of the 5kg was in an ordinary envelope and arrived ok, the other guys tended to put them in a larger envelope, A5???? and one guy even sent his satchels in a satchel :unsure:
The 3k bags have arrived in ordinary envelopes and no problems.

Edit: yes that would have been dgilks one. I'm emailing as each batch arrives.

Edit: I'll make sure we sign the declaration.

UPDATE

A quickie as the hops are "sailing ----- sailing" - no I must not sing (I do that on the radio show.).

The first lot of paperwork has been sent to the clearing agent. More is to follow. So Things are still moving along nicely.

Now to put up my radio show, with me singing about hops.

Shout
Craftbrewer
Graham L Sanders
http://radio.craftbrewer.org

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back