The Great Chinese Hop Buy 2009

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE
Sorry to tell those waiting, BUT this moment had to happen.
ALL ORDERS ARE FILLED.

:eek:

GREAT SCOTT!

Awesome work so far Townsville, the only problem is, the heaches have only just begun! :lol:

Cheers! :beerbang:

I wont be answering ay more silly questions like these.

Craftbrewer

This is Grahams thread for confirming orders, and so if people keep chiming in about pesticides etc, I will delete them.

There is another thread available for making those sorts of posts.

UPDATE

Thanks Guest Lurker for cleaning that up.

A quick financial update for those interested. We have three people overseeing the finances, so my planned trip to South America is on hold.

Enough fun, So far out of the money we have received, a touch under $2,900 was sent to China to organise their delivery to the Brisbane wharf. That has been received in their Bank Account, and it looks like the hops begin their trip to Australia next week.

We are still finalise the reconciliation, BUT at present we have a touch under $2600 still in the account to get them out of the wharf and to the house for splitting. Its a good buffer. Why sooooo much.

Well we have Customs fees, AQIS fees, Inspection fees, Brisbane Port fees, Clearing House fees, Bond Store fees and who knows who else putting their hand out fees, not to mention Customs duty and GST. I am banking on arround $1000.00, BUT you never know ( no-one can tell us HOW MUCH), so the large buffer.

Its looking solid a refind will be coming. anywhere from $4.00 a kilo to $1.00 a kilo, BUT that will depend on overall costs still in the pipeline, (like getting the hops from the wharf to the delivery centre for sorting.

I shall keep all informed

Craftbrewer

Its looking solid a refind will be coming. anywhere from $4.00 a kilo to $1.00 a kilo, BUT that will depend on overall costs still in the pipeline, (like getting the hops from the wharf to the delivery centre for sorting.

I shall keep all informed

Craftbrewer
great work graham. yeah got to keep a decent amount aside to pay off all the crooked dock workers.

If, he says being hopeful, there is enough left over per kilo, might I suggest it could cover Postbags and/or Satchels, especially if bought in bulk.

I'm pretty sure AusPost sell them at a discount in larger quantities.

Just a suggestion FWIW :) Cheerz Wabster.

If, he says being hopeful, there is enough left over per kilo, might I suggest it could cover Postbags and/or Satchels, especially if bought in bulk.

I'm pretty sure AusPost sell them at a discount in larger quantities.

Just a suggestion FWIW :) Cheerz Wabster.

Good idea. Sending pre-addressed ones is just giving more money to Australia post than is needed.

I used to buy the express bags in lots of 100, and if memory serves correctly they cost about $950 for 100, $9.50 a piece. Memory's not as good as it once was, but they don't get too much cheaper.

*Edit* Just checked - over 10 and the price is $10.17 per bag.

thats about the price of the 3kg satchle normally.

im not worried. i have a nice little stash to use for my hops.

Sorry CM, thats what I was talking about. I figured most people would need at least the 3Kg satchel.

I think it would become fairly painful to try to put the surplus towards postage, if it doesn't cover the entire cost. Imagine trying to collect extra money to meet postage costs?

Doh! I snooze I lose - (too busy at work lately)

I know its highly unlikely but....
If anyone feels they've over-ordered , or has an excess of Saaz/Cascade/Cluster , PM me and I'll happily take over your share.

+1 thanks to townsville for his patience and efforts..

Cheers, Rich

UPDATE

Well our fresh hop pellets have just been finished up, and packed ready for shipping.

From the hop producer
"All products will be arrived abound next Wednesday
Ningbo City."

Ningbo City is where the hops will be put on a ship for Australia.

So things are moving along nicely.

Craftbrewer

I was dreaming about packing hops last night, one of those technicolour dreams you have just before you wake up. Some people wanted 30g of Saaz, some 40g of Marco polo for particular recipes. I was glad to wake up for a change :rolleyes:

UpDate

OK, this years harvest has been processed into pellets, and the hops have arrived at the shipping port, ready to come to Australia. BUT before they do, they have to go thru three levels of Government inspection. They are 1. Customs, 2. Quarantine 3. Govt Quality Control. The last is the critical one, they have to pass all standards for "fit for human comsumption according to International Standards". This will take a few days.

We are not expecting them to physically leave China til later in the week.

Cant say much more than that

Craftbrewer

UPDATE

Things are moving nice and fast.

The hop order has cleared all the Chinese Govt Inspections.

They will be loaded into the ship THIS MONDAY. The ship set sail for Brisbane THIS TUESDAY. That means in a little over two weeks the hops will be in Brisbane.

I am bloody impressed.

Craftbrewer

Thanks for the update, looking forward to them.

Looking forward to the Saaz supply for my summer pils.

QldKev

giggitygiggitygiggitygiggitygiggity!

Im excited... whooaaah! :D

I'll probably do this again you know. Definitely 2010 crop, see if we can break a ton off the forum.

Craftbrewer

I'll probably do this again you know. Definitely 2010 crop, see if we can break a ton off the forum.

Craftbrewer

Im sure that wont be hard, especially when they come out of the woodwork after haring about how good* the hops are!

* I hope! :ph34r:

Seeing as the industry was set up by the Czechs in the first place in the days when they were good card-carrying Commos and that the growing and processing systems seem to be as kosher as anything we have over here then they should by noice. And prolly better than buying Saaz 06 crop or Cascade 07 crop, Jeez we are nearly on to 2010 FFS.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back