The Great Chinese Hop Buy 2009

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As we are moving into the final phase could this thread now be used for strictly picking and packing and dispatch related posts, and use the other thread for chat related posts.

Cheers
BribieG

:icon_cheers:

in regards to packing/shipping from QLD.....who should i sent my self addressed expresspost satchels to? Who ever it is can they send out the details (via PM or email).

Cheers

Working that out shortly, either to the venue itself or to a central coordinator. Waiting on guidance from Graham San :)

sweet Bribs. will await further instructions.

I'm volunteering to coordinate the picking and packing

Working that out shortly, either to the venue itself or to a central coordinator. Waiting on guidance from Graham San :)

Top work bribie. :beer: Thanks from those of us who can't help out. :super:

Yes, we are FAST approaching the final stage.

NOTE : All people involved should be checking this thread as to what will happen, as it will happen quick. If your not reading this thread, you WILL see your hop order delayed. You might not even get it.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, I understand there is some sort of case swape in Brisbane arround this time. Its been factored in, BUT at this stage we just dont know two key factors.

1. How long the ship will take to get to Brisbane. It leaves tommorrow and I am told its going dirrect to Brisbane. I am guessing about two weeks, BUT there are storms, breakdowns, even dare I say it "Hop Pirates" on the high seas.

2. Clearance thru the port. We dont know whether it will go straight thru (it should) and that will take a week tops, or quarantine will want a closer look (heavens knows how long that will take.).

Ok, so for all the people involved there are two things left. I was going to start thie ball rolling tommorrow when the ship had left, BUT today is as good as any time to start.

The first

PACKERS - Yes we need a good number of packers to make this go smoothly. If "BribieG" wants to co-ordinate that, that would be great. As you can see packers, we are look at mid to end November. Timing is probably lunch into the afternoon, with a bar-b-que and drinkies depending on budget. I have to nut down details with the poor sod collecting all this.

The second.

PRE_PAID SATCHELS

AS you are aware, you must supply a prepaid satchel for the hops to go into, AND IT MUST BE ADDRESSED BY YOU, so we dont have to worry about writting these down.

NOTE : I will ask for these when we know the hops have cleared the wharf and are ready to pick up. YOU WILL HAVE TO SEND THEM IMMEDIATELY AFTER WE KNOW.

People should be prepared for this. I would suggest when they arrive in Brisbane, and I get confirmation that they look good to go. I will give out a po box number here when we are ready.

Work out what size you will need. IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. Packers will fill accordingly. If it dont fit, we cut your order til it fits. The talk is 3 kg satchels is a tight fit for 3 kg pellets, no idea what a 1kg satchel holds, or the 5 kg satchel. This is work you can do now to make sure they fit. If you klike, talk about it here.

If some-one can post here what they know as fact about what fits in what size satchels - great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enough said, more tommorrow.

Craftbrewer

Graham. you know that it will take a few days for the self addressed satchels to make their way up to Brisbane? you sure you dont want people sendiong them now so there's no possibility of delay? or is there enough time between picking up from the wharf and packing day?

Good work fellas. keep it up.

Graham. you know that it will take a few days for the self addressed satchels to make their way up to Brisbane? you sure you dont want people sendiong them now so there's no possibility of delay? or is there enough time between picking up from the wharf and packing day?

Good work fellas. keep it up.

My view is we could clash with your case swap. Plus we dont know how long the clearance will take. I dont want to ask for your stachels if we get stuck at the wharf.

BUT

I am open to suggestions. If people think its ok to take the risk, we can organise the stachels earlier.

I will talk with the committee

Graham

just a thought. you blokes are running the show so im happy to do as instructed.

cheers.

In the meantime,

do we have "confirmed" satchel size to hops they can fit.

1kg stachel, 3kg stachel, 5 kg stachel would be a good starter

Craftbrewer

i remember someone saying that 3kg could just be squeezed into a 3kg satchel. so if you've got 3kg of hops i'd be banking on using 2x3kg or 1 x5kg satchel.

ive got 3kg and am sending up 2x3kg satchels for making it easier for the packers.

If it helps I can tell you that a 3Kg bag will hold exactly 60 golf balls... I'm not really sure what 3 KG of hops will amount to.

The main thing is that we have to be exact with the 3 KG of hops. Even slightly over and Australia Post will send a bill to the senders address (I've copped a few when trying to squeeze 61 golf balls into a 3 KG bag).

I think our only issue here would be with dimensions of the hops. Even if they are a tight fit, I will personally squeeze the little suckers in there...

If it helps I can tell you that a 3Kg bag will hold exactly 60 golf balls... I'm not really sure what 3 KG of hops will amount to.
one of the funniest things i ever heard.

well guys that probably settles it for you. be on the safe side of things or you might be sorry.

What about people in Bris? I am tentative as to whether I can help with packing, but either way I would think I can pick up directly from where the sorting is happening and just bring a tupperware container or something like that and pick up my own hops. All depends on the day etc. What are the actual details as far as where the splitting and packing is occurring?

auspost = govt dept = tight. the discount they will give is minimal. its not worth the effort IMO

They don't give a discount after you buy 10+ of the 3 KG, which will cost $10.17 each if you buy over 10.

If you buy your own they cost $11.30, so it's only a discount of $1.13 each person. Not really worth it for 60 golf balls 3 Kilos of hops...

I've had 3kg of hops posted to me in a 3kg satchel and it fitted comfortably. That said, the hops were vacuum sealed which compresses their size a bit - I'm assuming that the packers won't be vacuum sealing the hops? If not, I'd be tempted to send a 5kg satchel (or 2x3kg satchel) just in case.

I'd say the 5kg bags should be a fair call, they are pretty big from memory (pillowcase size)

1-2kg, send a 3kg bag
3-4kg send a 5kg bag (or 2x3kg bags if you already have them).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back