The Great Chinese Hop Buy 2009

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to come in late, but to save me a lot of back reading, is there an option now where you can take 60 golf balls rather than 3 kg of hops?
Any details?
Ta

stagga.

1-2kg, send a 3kg bag
3-4kg send a 5kg bag (or 2x3kg bags if you already have them).

As one of the splitters\packers in this bulk buy I won't have to mail my hops to myself :) but need an idea of the best sized ziplock (Or other) bag to pack 1Kg of hop pellets in?
Ross is in this bulk buy & packs pellets every day of the week. Perhaps he can help us all by giving us an idea of the volume of 1Kg hop pellets? :unsure:

TP

That's what I've been pondering myself Pete as we will need a few hundred of them and get them ordered quick smart. I take it Graham will have thought about this and may have something in mind otherwise delegate it to the Brisbane crew to make investigations etc. Also who is paying, I would assume that there is 'contingency money' in Grahams bulk buy account. Anyway let's hear what Graham-San has to say.

That's what I've been pondering myself Pete as we will need a few hundred of them and get them ordered quick smart. I take it Graham will have thought about this and may have something in mind otherwise delegate it to the Brisbane crew to make investigations etc. Also who is paying, I would assume that there is 'contingency money' in Grahams bulk buy account. Anyway let's hear what Graham-San has to say.

380 of them to be exact Bribie + a few spares just in case of accidents. 400 is a good round number.

TP

You'd think those big ones that are bigger than A4 size would be perfect? Even if there's a bit of slack.

I'm hoping the 20th person doesn't get the dregs, 850 grams of semi broken pellets. Anyone thought about a way around that?

Ross is in this bulk buy & packs pellets every day of the week. Perhaps he can help us all by giving us an idea of the volume of 1Kg hop pellets?

I was thinking the exact same thing TP! I was less of a man though to ask!

if you were vaccume sealing them, 3kg fits easily into a 3kg bag. but as your not using a commercial vaccum sealer...
a 2kg block of hops is approx (w)13cm x (l)18cm x (d)12cm

I'm hoping the 20th person doesn't get the dregs, 850 grams of semi broken pellets. Anyone thought about a way around that?

Save all the dregs/dust in a small container to get to 1kg and give them all to your Mark? :icon_cheers:

:lol:

I kid.. I kid!

hey come on now some of us like a finer crush...for our hops

You'd think those big ones that are bigger than A4 size would be perfect? Even if there's a bit of slack.

Once opened we plan to empty each hop variety into our hosts compost tumbler to ensure an even distribution of hop dust, etc. :ph34r:
Seriously though, a gentle roll of every newly-opened 20Kg pack over the distribution table should even things out I hope?

TP

As one of the splitters\packers in this bulk buy I won't have to mail my hops to myself :) but need an idea of the best sized ziplock (Or other) bag to pack 1Kg of hop pellets in?
Ross is in this bulk buy & packs pellets every day of the week. Perhaps he can help us all by giving us an idea of the volume of 1Kg hop pellets? :unsure:

TP

The 3kg satchel fits 3kg easy. Just be aware that you must keep the total weight below 3kg, so would suggest sending 2.9kg.
this will also prevent someone getting left with "dust", not that there's anything different in quality between dust & pellets, pellets are just the compressed dust. Like complaining about loose flowers with your plugs ;)

Edit: Get yourself some cheap poly bags similar size to the 3kg satchel & borrow a heat sealer (can use ours out of opening hours), ziplocks are prone to opening under rough handling & takes ages to seal.

Cheers Ross

not that there's anything different in quality between dust & pellets, pellets are just the compressed dust. Like complaining about loose flowers with your plugs ;)

Cheers Ross
glad someone said it.

The 3kg satchel fits 3kg easy. Just be aware that you must keep the total weight below 3kg, so would suggest sending 2.9kg.
this will also prevent someone getting left with "dust", not that there's anything different in quality between dust & pellets, pellets are just the compressed dust. Like complaining about loose flowers with your plugs ;)

Edit: Get yourself some cheap poly bags similar size to the 3kg satchel & borrow a heat sealer (can use ours out of opening hours), ziplocks are prone to opening under rough handling & takes ages to seal.

Cheers Ross

Thanks Ross. :icon_cheers:

TP

UPDATE

How does that song go

"hops are sailing-------- hops are sailing----------- Over water ----------- etc etc

"Yes hops are at sea and on their way. How long will depend on sea conditions. calm seas, good winds will see them in two weeks, Rough seas, refugees boarding the ship, Hop Pirates can see this blow out to three weeks.

PACKING

Seems we can fit the hops in the fixed satchels from Aus post. , 1kg, 3 kg, and 5 kg satchels. Ross is dead right, packers should pack these just under weight, and we are safe. That can be the duty of one of the packers to check on the weight.

Sorry I haven't got back to you sooner all, My internet has been down all day.

But speaking of down, my organisor in Brisbane is AWOL at the moment, and hasn't answered his/her e-mail. Til I get an answer from "t" I am in the dark as to what the packing process will be. What I can say is its definitely up to you brewers in Brisbane to organise. I take no part in this, other than get the stuff out of the wharf

By the way, I want you buggers to toast me with a drink when your packing and drinking.

As for bags, well yes, money is in the kitty to pay for these. As for size of bags, well It can be 1 kg bags. I see zip loack being ok, IF YOU THEN PUT STICKY TAPE ROLLED OVER THEM to compact the bag.

BUT again its really up to you lot to decide how to pack them.

Til I hear from my contact in Brisbane as to what is next, I am up in the air.

Keep talking, its all coming together.

Craftbrewer
Graham L Sanders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back