The Great Chinese Hop Buy 2009

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so that means they come with chemical residue tests provided by an independant, certified lab?
because it is each individuals right to consume whatever they want but when it comes to commercial breweries it could put them out of business if a trace of a banned chemical like DDT was detected in their beer

I got some news for you, the micro's interested are aware of ALL these issues, and are still very keen to import these hops. They are not worries at all over the quality of these hops. Gee another one is interested by my email folder.

Craftbrewer

I got some news for you, the micro's interested are aware of ALL these issues, and are still very keen to import these hops. They are not worries at all over the quality of these hops. Gee another one is interested by my email folder.

Craftbrewer

so the answer is NO the hops do not come with the chemical residue test reports? because these type of tests are very expensive and just one of the expenses that make hops from first world countries cost more

so the answer is NO the hops do not come with the chemical residue test reports? because these type of tests are very expensive and just one of the expenses that make hops from first world countries cost more

I am not going to debate this further. I will say one last time. The hops go thru a Govt Certification Testing Program to certifiy they meet international health standards for the use of these hops for human consumption. This is done on hops that are exported. If you cant trust the WHO in these matters, then thats your problem.

I wont be answering ay more silly questions like these.

Craftbrewer

The interest of the micros was what prompted my question.

When this bulk buy started to gain momentum, I alerted a local micro to the price/quantity/type of hops available. He was more
interested in the continuity of supply than anything else. Said that Cascade at the price was attractive but overall wasn't all that
fussed without a guarantee of long term supply.

I think the price the micros pay and the price we pay normally from our various sources is about half.

In the overall contribution to the cost of a brew, hops are not top of the list. Up there, but not the killer.

Grain ($110/25kg bag of Weyermanns from LHBS), gas, yeast......all of these are at least as important cost-wise.

Now if a bulk buy of gas from China was arranged I'd.........Oh, yeah, they buy that from us, don't they!

This is one of the great bulk buys. Well conceived, well run and an edge to it that may change the way we brew. IF the Chinese
hops are up to scratch (and I think they will be), it might mean that the US is not regarded as the Holy Grail as far as Cascade
and other "American" hops are concerned.

I'm probably only going to end up with one kg of Cascade in this bulk buy, the hop I least wanted to get. But I'm really excited
about the possibility of China becoming a force in the global hop market. Keeps everyone else on their toes.

Cheers,
smudge

I'm not a fan of American beers like APAs etc which at the end of the day are 1980s inventions of the brewpub and micro 'revolution' and probably bear no relationship to Pre prohibition beers. Sorry for the likes of Dogfish Head etc etc but I think they are a bit of a wank. However I have used the odd US hop such as Cascade and Chinook in sensible (IBU 20 for example) versions of Cervezas and Maize Lagers and don't mind them.

But with the current prices of $13 or $14 for a 90g shrink of the new harvest hops, they can go and vigorously frig themselves with a greasy chip. In common with the previous poster I hope the Chinese give their teeth a good rattling and bring them down to earth. :)

But with the current prices of $13 or $14 for a 90g shrink of the new harvest hops, they can go and vigorously frig themselves with a greasy chip.

Got to agree with you there Bribie but suppose we should be eternally grateful for the lengths our Aust retailers go to to shield us from these ridiculous prices. ;) :lol:
Just spend your dollars & be happy suckers.

TP

UPDATE

By now everyone who has fully paid up with their order should have recieved an e-mail confirming their details. If you haven't you need to contact me [email protected]

Second round chances will be on Monday, and after that its a matter of waiting.

Nothing more to report

Craftbrewer

UPDATE

By now everyone who has fully paid up with their order should have recieved an e-mail confirming their details. If you haven't you need to contact me [email protected]

Just a heads up to any that may be waiting still - check your junk email, as that's where mine ended up.

Thanks Graham, a big job and you've done well.

ditto graham, stellar effort mate. looking forward to trying these things out. :beer:

UPDATE

Late offerings

we have still in excess
3 kg Cluster
3kg Cascade
3 kg Marco Polo

I working thru some late offerrings. Now all people interested know to look at this forum for late offerings. This will a steady release now, lunch and this afternoon, and so on til the orders are filled. I will release three names at a time til filled

the following people MUST recontact me with their order details by 1.00pm, dont contact me with your final order, you miss out

[email protected]

104 Gulpa
111 GST
113 lokpikn

Please send
Name:
Name for list (Handle):
Order:
Cost:
Return Email:
Delivery Address:

I realise there will people who wont like missing out, I might even miss some-one, Those who miss out should post here to see if anyone will share there order with them.

Craftbrewer

UPDATE

Late offerings

we have still in excess
3 kg Cluster
3kg Cascade
3 kg Marco Polo

I working thru some late offerrings. Now all people interested know to look at this forum for late offerings. This will a steady release now, lunch and this afternoon, and so on til the orders are filled. I will release three names at a time til filled

the following people MUST recontact me with their order details by 1.00pm, dont contact me with your final order, you miss out

[email protected]

104 Gulpa
111 GST
113 lokpikn

I realise there will people who wont like missing out, I might even miss some-one, Those who miss out should post here to see if anyone will share there order with them.

Craftbrewer

Count me in Graham
1kg Cascade
1kg Cluster

Will send order details

UPDATE

Late offerings

we have still in excess
3 kg Cluster
3kg Cascade
3 kg Marco Polo

[email protected]

104 Gulpa
111 GST
113 lokpikn

Craftbrewer

I'll go in for that 1kg each of Cascade and Marco Polo.

UPDATE

Late offerings

we have still in excess
3 kg Cluster
3kg Cascade
3 kg Marco Polo

the following people MUST recontact me with their order details by 6.00pm, dont contact me with your final order, you miss out - and if you come in late, it will the luck of the draw if you get an order

[email protected]

114 Linerigg
115 captain cleanoff
120 garylo

Please send
Name:
Name for list (Handle):
Order:
Cost:
Return Email:
Delivery Address:

Craftbrewer

I'll take that last kilo of cascade please

Cheers
Phil

I'll take that last kilo of cascade please

Cheers
Phil

G'Day Phil (& curious others)

What I think is happening here, is that Graham (aka townsville) is re-offering excess hops to the orginal closed off list. Probably to guys that missed out on thier preference the first time around.

Based on a few emails I have received from Graham, there is some sort of reserve list for guys like us. I'm on that one (I think). You might be too now. My advice would be to keep an eye on this space after 6pm.

Cheers
POLAR

UPDATE

Late offerings

we have still in excess
3 kg Cluster
3 kg Cascade
2 kg Marco Polo

all people interested know to look at this forum for late offerings. This will a steady release now, lunch and this afternoon, and so on til the orders are filled. I will release three names at a time til filled

the following people MUST recontact me with their order details by 8.00am, dont contact me with your final order, you could miss out

[email protected]

121 Moray
123 Polar Bear
Rooting Kings

Please send
Name:
Name for list (Handle):
Order:
Cost:
Return Email:
Delivery Address:

Craftbrewer

Hi Graham,

I've sent your an email confirmimg my order.

Cheers
Moray

UPDATE

Sorry to tell those waiting, BUT this moment had to happen.

ALL ORDERS ARE FILLED.

Thats to all again, and I am sorry I couldn't meet everyones orders.

As stated, post here if you want a hop, and maybe some-one who has an order will help you out.

Craftbrewer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back