Qld Xmas 2012 Swap Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
15. BPH87's Friend - Summer Ale Ready to drink now

image.jpg

Pours a hazy golden colour. Head billows on pouring, quickly fading to a thin white layer. Initial aroma is strong citrus and a black note of passion fruit. Body on the thin side. Flavour is a citrusy hop character, a little sweet malt. Bitterness lingers on the tongue though it seems well balanced initially. Finishes very dry, with a slight tartness lingering with the bitterness.

A nice beer mate, could probably do with a little more body and perhaps just tone the bitterness down a touch for style. Otherwise, going down well on a warm evening.

Cheers

22. Bazza - Bazza's Imperial Bacon Ale. 10 %. Ready to drink now.
This one was great too Bazza. It didn't have the malt/roast complexity I have seen in the Rauch beers I have tried but definitely a good bacon hit. Possibly a little dry but seeing as it was a bacon ale I think you've done a pretty good job.

went to a pool party and tasted around 8 of the beers with around 7 mates all where received very well,the only beer people didnt like to much was the passifuit wheat i think it was a little tart/dry for most people(was it ment to turn out like that) will be tasteing the others on new years eve with a few other mates,its a good way to show friends just how good and how meny type of beers are out there,,,,,,
sorry i dont have very good tasteing notes,but thats the problem when you sit down for a session and half time is a tateing of more beer it get a bit hazzey,

Hey Tazman, just finishing up the last of your beer, it is bloody delicious! I really think that Rye works the best with an IPA just balances out the hops so well.

Poured a lovely red colour with a great head that lasted until the bottom of the glass.

Aroma is heady and lasting. It is not as bitter as King Brown's IPA but very nice to drink!

Any chance you would like to share the recipe mate?

Cheers,

Ben

Hi Ben,
Not a problem with sharing the recipe..
It will have to wait till the New Year as Im on holidays and using Telstra slownet.
Cheers
Peter

16. Kegs23 - Nelson Summer Ale

This was a lovely beer too Kegs. It poured a crystal clear light golden colour with perfect carbonation. Great malt profile but a touch too bitter and a little overdone on the late hops for my liking (but that's just me and Nelson).

Very quaffable and well enjoyed.

What finings did you use? There was a fair amount of sediment in the bottle but it was nice and settled.

1. Gav21 - (glass???)
2. Gav21's friend - (glass???)
4.Bradsbrew- Mild bitter ale- Only bottled on day of swap give it 2-4 weeks. Bottle conditioned. Leave out of fridge for 2 weeks
7. NickB - Liquid Lunch Bitter - ready now, carbed low, drink at cellar temp
8. Stillscottish - Passionfruit-infused Belgian Wit (black lid, no number?)
9. King Brown - Something big and Stinky
13. BPH87 - BIPA
14. Scoundrelrogue - Drowned Rat American Amber Ale
15. BPH87's Friend - Summer Ale
16. Kegs23 - Nelson Summer Ale
17. Parks - Doppelbock
20. Aydos - very Black Stouty IIPA
21. tazman1967 - Red Rye IPA
22. Bazza - Bazza's Smokey Bacon Ale

sorry that took me so long, silly season and all that

I haven't tried any yet, i think winkle is picking my swap beers up from florian today?
Everytime i brew this beer for the swap it never turns out, first year ive beer happy with it. i have new years day and the day after off so ill be damaging my liver some more (poor *******) with these swap beers.

14. Scoundrelrogue - Drowned Rat American Amber Ale

image.jpg

Pours a beautiful amber red colour, billowing head that holds quite well, clarity excellent.

Aroma is a big punch to the face :)ph34r:) of citrus hops (Cascade or Centennial?).

Flavour is not as full-on, with some citrus, a little orange. Background and aftertaste a little wine-like, slightly sour.

Fairly well balanced, finish tends slightly towards bitterness.

Overall a pretty decent beer Luke!

Cheers

Also,on Xmas day, I had either Gav's or Gav's mates Fat Tyre....

No pic sorry, but a beautiful red colour. Aromas of smoke, peat, some hop character but hard to define wether US or UK.

A nice beer, but the finish for me was a little cloying, and the smoke flavour took over just a touch much for my palate.

Cheers

Either 1 or 2: aka the Other Gav's Beer........

image.jpg

Not sure of the style....(EDIT: guessing Saison)

Pours nice and clear, a deep golden colour, head billows and then fades.

Aroma somewhat muted. Slight fruitiness, a little bit of 'rose petal' floral esters too.

Flavour is quite fruity, more of a fruit salad than any defined fruit character. Quite floral. Slightly acrid on the tongue. Smooth overall, with a slight lingering bitterness and just a hint of harshness in the throat.

Overall, an enjoyable beer, whatever style it may be. Certainly not offensive, and easy to drink on a warm day,

Cheers

17. Parks - Doppelbock

image.jpg

A beautiful red colour when held up to the light, pours with a thick head that subsides fairly quickly.

Initial aroma of stone fruit (dates, plums). First sip is malty, lots of fruity esters (the plum comes to the forefront again). Balance towards maltiness for sure. Not much bitterness, but a slight astringency in the finish that costs the throat. Alcohol warmth noticeable but not overpowering.

A great beer mate. Probably not the best choice for a warm afternoon, but going down a treat nonetheless.

Cheers

image.jpg.

Deep black colour, big billowing head that sticks around pretty well.

Aroma of fresh hops, big, bold, in-your-face.

Flavour mirrors the aroma, citrus, pine, bold hoppiness. Bitterness more balanced than the beer at the swap, but still on the high end of the BU:GU scale.

I love this beer. Dangerously drinkable and damn tasty!

As mentioned at the swap, this is a great beer. Reminds me a lot of the black IPAs I've done in the past...

Might have a Black IPA on the cards for next brew day methinks ;)

Cheers

17. Parks - Doppelbock

A beautiful red colour when held up to the light, pours with a thick head that subsides fairly quickly.

Initial aroma of stone fruit (dates, plums). First sip is malty, lots of fruity esters (the plum comes to the forefront again). Balance towards maltiness for sure. Not much bitterness, but a slight astringency in the finish that costs the throat. Alcohol warmth noticeable but not overpowering.

A great beer mate. Probably not the best choice for a warm afternoon, but going down a treat nonetheless.

Cheers

Cheers mate. It's nowhere near as clean as a bock is supposed to be so I'll be trying to work on that but I was still fairly happy with it.

Certainly going to be trying to see what I can come up with...

:beerbang:

Deep black colour, big billowing head that sticks around pretty well.

Aroma of fresh hops, big, bold, in-your-face.

Flavour mirrors the aroma, citrus, pine, bold hoppiness. Bitterness more balanced than the beer at the swap, but still on the high end of the BU:GU scale.

I love this beer. Dangerously drinkable and damn tasty!

As mentioned at the swap, this is a great beer. Reminds me a lot of the black IPAs I've done in the past...

Might have a Black IPA on the cards for next brew day methinks ;)

Cheers

My mouth was having a malt-gasm with this one. It did remind me a little of the old Sex Panther from my distant memory.

Great beer Aydos!

hi all pretty much though all the beers now,sorry for not leaving to meny feedback,tasted a lot of the beers at xmas party's so didnt take to meny notes on what beer was what,, this is gavs fat tyre beer in the pic had on of these in the usa a few years back took 6 people to drink the neck out of a long neck as it tasted like a dirty ash tray with week old sale beer in it,but to my tastes these days this was a nice tasting beer not to over powering at all,just tasting number 17 now,smell fuity takes a little plum or something on first taste, carb is good but head dies down fast still nice for a darker beer,,,,,i am still only just getting into more darker hoppier beers, thanks all for a great night and a swet selection of beers every one made i am sure to be at the next one suporting the early pass out people
cheers kegs

2049_10151378782745708_1117833813_n.jpg

Shit that reminds me, I better go pick my beers up from Florian.

Tazman Red Rye IPA

Red RyePA
American IPA
Type: All Grain Date: 9/28/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l Brewer:
Boil Size: 35.14 l Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: Peter 's Gear
End of Boil Volume 24.96 l Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 22.00 l Est Mash Efficiency 73.0 %
Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -
4.47 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC) Grain 2 65.6 %
0.78 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 3 11.5 %
0.56 kg Carafoam (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 4 8.2 %
0.40 kg Caraaroma (256.1 EBC) Grain 5 5.9 %
0.40 kg Caramunich II (Weyermann) (124.1 EBC) Grain 6 5.9 %
0.20 kg Aromatic Malt (Dingemans) (37.4 EBC) Grain 7 3.0 %
32.00 g Perle [6.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 24.8 IBUs
36.00 g Amarillo Gold [10.10 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 9 31.3 IBUs
1.06 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 10 -
25.00 g Amarillo Gold [10.10 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 11 14.1 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 12 -
45.00 g Amarillo Gold [8.20 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.063 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.6 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Bitterness: 70.2 IBUs Calories: 427.1 kcal/l
Est Color: 33.1 EBC
Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body Total Grain Weight: 6.81 kg
Sparge Water: 13.94 l Grain Temperature: 20.0 C
Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C Tun Temperature: 20.0 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 19.08 l of water at 72.9 C 66.6 C 60 min
Mash Out Add 9.95 l of water at 95.1 C 75.6 C 10 min

Sparge Step: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun, , 13.94l) of 75.6 C water
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Bottle Volumes of CO2: 2.3
Pressure/Weight: 129.40 g Carbonation Used: Bottle with 129.40 g Corn Sugar
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 21.1 C Age for: 30.00 days
Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage Storage Temperature: 18.3 C
Notes

Created with BeerSmith

Will post this in both threads so it gets seen.

Bottle bomb alert:

I'm not even in the swap but had Brad's bottles stored for the last few weeks. As he's coming tomorrow to pick them up I thought I'd move them closer to the door. Fail! Box is sticking to the wooden floor! Had a look inside and one bottle is completely shattered. Stakman or something else (unreadable) is written on the bottle cap.

Hey, it's so easy:

NO FUCKEN GLASS!!!

Will assess the damage to floor etc tomorrow, can already hear the wife complaining. Will also post photos to name and shame.

Thanks Florian for looking after the swap beers. Not sure yet who the offender is but they are lucky no one got hurt. Next year I vote any glass bottles not be accepted on the day, simple as that.

Now to get these into the fridge.

Latest posts

Back