Qld Xmas 2012 Swap Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i use the water out of my 10.000L water tank collected from my roof in brisbane,i run it though a carbon filter,some time if im out of tank water its just town water though the carbon filter,
i cube my beer now im doing bigger batches and just put them straight into the pool to cool down,(mainly to save 1hour of my brew day) i havent noticed any taste difference,recipe was

2 cube batch size
9kg maris otter
800g wheat flaked
25 nelson 60 min
25 nelson 20 min
40 nelson 5 min

and i think i dry hoped with 45g nelson aswell

im glade you enjoyed the beer,,,,,i havent rally done any hoppy beers like that before,but my pallet is slowly changing and i really starting to enjoy meny different beers now,

that was unfillted aswell,to lazy to filter,just crash chilled with a little gelatine

7. NickB - Liquid Lunch Bitter - ready now, carbed low, drink at cellar temp

Just sipping this now - ******* love it! I'd say it's more than carbed low, certainly had plenty of bubbles when poured. Great dark copper/amber colour, quite biscuit-y?

-- definitely some carb - I have hop burps right now ;)

Haven't had may bitters, but this certainly has my interest. Great work mate.

15. BPH87's Friend - Summer Ale Ready to drink now

Had this one yesterday while making a brew. Gorgeous golden colour. Probably balanced toward sweetness but definitely a little bitterness there. I get stone fruit with either some cascade or amarillo on the nose (I think...).

If this was one of your first brews you are doing great job!

Thanks mate

Nick the only thing wrong with this beer is that I only have one! Bloody good job!

Awesome dark amber colour, nice balance of malt.

Definitely have to bribe the recipe out of you!

15. BPH87's Friend - Summer Ale Ready to drink now

Had this one yesterday while making a brew. Gorgeous golden colour. Probably balanced toward sweetness but definitely a little bitterness there. I get stone fruit with either some cascade or amarillo on the nose (I think...).

If this was one of your first brews you are doing great job!

Thanks mate.

17. Parks - Doppelbock

Drank this one last night, mate your Dopplebock was great! It was my first (you took my Dopplebock virginity)!

I am not sure how to describe it but it was malty and smooth and well carbed.'

Cheers!

9. King Brown - Something big and Stinky

Hey King Brown, just cracked open your IPA bloody awesome! My palate is not advanced enough to pick out the hops that you have used, but it is bloody delicous!

Any chance you would like to share the recipe? Pretty please...........................

It poured a red hue colour, clear as with a nice head that remained until the end of the glass. Well carbed with great aroma.

Great beer

Nick the only thing wrong with this beer is that I only have one! Bloody good job!

Awesome dark amber colour, nice balance of malt.

Definitely have to bribe the recipe out of you!

Thanks mate.

Here you go.... This was a triple batch.....

Gravity Before Boil: 1.030 SG (8.0 Brix)
Original Gravity: 1.035 SG (9.3 Brix)
Final Gravity: 1.009 SG (5.0 Brix)

Volume Before Boil: 77.00 l
Volume After Boil: 66.00 l
Volume Transferred: 62.00 l
Volume At Pitching: 62.00 l
Volume Of Finished Beer: 60.00 l

Total Water Required: 87.00 l

Mashing
7.570 kg of UK Maris Otter
1.430 kg of UK Golden Promise
300 g of UK Dark Crystal
300 g of UK Pale Chocolate Malt
300 g of UK Light Crystal
100 g of UK Chocolate Malt

Also add the following during the mash
6 g of Epsom Salts (Magnesium Sulfate)
6 g of Calcium Carbonate
3 g of Gypsum
2 g of Baking Soda (NaHCO3)
2 g of Table Salt
Mash pH should be 5.2.

Run off to collect a total of 77.00 l of wort.

Boiling
65 g of UK Northdown (90 Min From End)
12 g of UK Fuggle (90 Min From End)
50 g of UK Boadicea (10 Min From End)
9 g of BrewBrite

Boil the wort for a total of 90 minutes.

Pitch 1 pack(s) of Wyeast 1275-Thames Valley Ale and ferment at 20 C.

Cheers

9. King Brown - Double Pacific North West IPA. Ready to drink now.

Another great IPA Dan.

First glass I thought it was perhaps a little too full body but I changed my mind several times on that. I think it was too full to be sessionable (for me) but I guess some people don't think IPAs are supposed to be sessionable :ph34r:

Hop growers will never fear going broke while you're out there making beer :kooi:

13. BPH87 - BIPA

Mate, I could drink this one by the bucket. Probably a little light on the bitterness (maybe KBB has made me think IPAs are supposed to be bitter :drinks: ), but an extremely sessionable beer.

Really glad you boys swapped and hope it's not your last!

:beer:

F*** it's good being on holidays already!

Had 9. Stinky Dan's Stinky IPA

image.jpg

Initial aroma of citrus and pine, beautiful colour and clarity (photo doesn't do it justice). First sip is quite bitter, fading into a slightly sweet, medium-full body. Flavour of citrus, pine, a little stone fruit.

Very nice Dan. Personally, I find the finish a little sweet, but it's not far off.

Cheers

What is the beer with statesman on the lid, its a glass bottle?? Its tastes like an English bitter. Nice lingering bitterness, low hop aroma. Sweet to start but nicely balanced.

Dan, your beer is delicious, we will have to have a brew day and do a double batch so I can take a cube gone ;).

NickB you bitter went down that fast I didn't make enough notes. But I really liked it! Probably why it didn't last long ha ha.

I think it was still Scottish that made the wit beer, that was bloody delicious, any chance I could grab the recipe?

Bph87, you bipa was quite nice, a lot more sessionable than mine but I think it lacked bitterness to back it up.

4.Bradsbrew- Mild bitter ale

Just thought I would post that I have just cracked this one and it carbed to my liking. Nice clear golden colour, thin white head. Nice prominent hop flavour but well balanced sweetness.

I could drink this all night!

14. Scoundrelrogue - ????

Tasted this tonight, I am not sure what style it is.

Poured very clear, with a nice head and well carbed.

I would like to know what this beer is, as I really enjoyed it!

13. BPH87 - BIPA

Mate, I could drink this one by the bucket. Probably a little light on the bitterness (maybe KBB has made me think IPAs are supposed to be bitter ), but an extremely sessionable beer.

Really glad you boys swapped and hope it's not your last!

Thanks mate, really appreciate the feedback, glad that you enjoyed the Black IPA. It was not quite as hoppy as I would have liked, but very sessionable.

I have really enjoyed this swap, and can not wait until the next one.

Bph87, you bipa was quite nice, a lot more sessionable than mine but I think it lacked bitterness to back it up.

Thanks mate

16. Kegs23 - Nelson Summer Ale

Hey Kegs, I had your beer last night. It was clear as with a nice head. I prefer it over the summer ale that I did with a mate, much more sessionable!

Cheers

21. tazman1967 - Red Rye IPA

Hey Tazman, just finishing up the last of your beer, it is bloody delicious! I really think that Rye works the best with an IPA just balances out the hops so well.

Poured a lovely red colour with a great head that lasted until the bottom of the glass.

Aroma is heady and lasting. It is not as bitter as King Brown's IPA but very nice to drink!

Any chance you would like to share the recipe mate?

Cheers,

Ben

I think it was still Scottish that made the wit beer, that was bloody delicious, any chance I could grab the recipe?

Here it is

Style: Witbier
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 22.00 L
Boil Size: 28.19 L
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 3.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.20 kg Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 4.08 %
2.00 kg Pale Malt Pilsner (Barrett Burston) (2.0 SGrain 40.82 %
1.50 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (1.5 SRM) Grain 30.61 %
1.00 kg Wheat Raw (3.0 SRM) Grain 20.41 %
0.20 kg Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 4.08 %
15.00 gm Select Spalt [9.00 %] (60 min) Hops 15.0 IBU
15.00 gm Saaz [3.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.2 IBU
pinch Sodium Metabisulphite (Mash 90.0 min) Misc
5.00 gm Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
tsp Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
8.70 gm PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Belgian Witbier (Wyeast Labs #3944) Yeast-Wheat

Mash Schedule: Temperature Mash, 2 Step, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 4.90 kg
----------------------------
Temperature Mash, 2 Step, Full Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
30 min Protein Rest Add 14.00 L of water at 48.0 C 45.0 C
30 min Rest Heat to 50.0 C over 10 min 50.0 C
90 min Sacch Heat to 65.0 C over 15 min 65.0 C
10 min Mashout Heat to 78.0 C over 15 min 78.0 C

Batch sparge x2

Notes:
------
500g Yellow Passionfruit pulp into secondary for 7 days

I don't think the raw wheat did anything to this beer (apart from annoying my mill). Any tartness would have been swamped by the passionfruit, but I think the Oats gives it a bit of a silky mouthfeel.

Cheers

Campbell

Cheers for that! I will try to make it sometime, I really liked it.

Campbell that wit was fantastic, so tart it was almost a berlinerwiess!!!
I will definitely be brewing that at some stage.

22. Bazza - Bazza's Smokey Bacon Ale

Has a sweet peaty aroma, Im not getting any hop aroma.

The flavour is a thick sweet smokey taste, I actually get a heap more bacon from it than the smoke beer that I made. Very nice balance with peat as well, its not over the top for a beer with the name Bacon ale. The bitterness hides in the background but lingers through the tail while it stays in you mouth.

Mouthfeel is very thick and lightly carbonated.

Overall, this is a really nice beer, I would have liked the bacon to push through a little more bit that's all I can add. I would be very happy if I had a smoked beer turn out like this one.

Good job bazza

1. Gav21 - (glass???)

I'll assume this one is the one that had "statesman" on the lid. Not a bad beer, though it had a taste I have always attributed to extract so would love to either confirm or deny on that.

2. Gav21's friend - (glass???)

This one had "fat tyre" on the lid and poured beautifully into the glass. Delicious beer first up, lovely roast and malt. When it warmed up though I got some slight phenolics or esters which I don't think were supposed to be there. Still a very drinkable beer.

8. Stillscottish - Passionfruit-infused Belgian Wit (black lid, no number?) - there was ONE bottle with no number (crappy stickers) Ready Now

As the others have said this was a great Wit. It was a little too tart for my tastes which made for a weird but interesting combo with the sweetness of the fresh passionfruit. Would like to try this one again sometime for sure.

14. Scoundrelrogue - ????

No idea what this beer was but it was pretty tasty too. Had a nice ruby highlight and a mango/tropical fruit flavour in there somewhere. (pretty sure it was this beer :icon_drunk: )

Not too many left unfortunately. All been great so far.

Latest posts

Back